Just Back on the Island...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Back on the Island...

Well having just woken up from bed this morning, I’m still left smiling to myself about yesterday’s game at St James Park. For anyone interested, here is my take on the game.

I got up at 7:30am yesterday morning, and after making our way across the ferry we headed up to St James Park. I will confess, it only started to dawn on me how far we were going on Tuesday night and needless to say there was a loud cheer when we saw the first sign with ‘Newcastle’ written on it. After a couple of stops on the motorway, and a fair few “Green Army” chants, we eventually arrived at the ground about an hour and a half before kick off. It was the first time that I had visited St James Park, and I was very impressed with it. As we made our way round to the away end, there were Newcastle shirts everywhere, with the sight of QPR colours few and far between.

After hiking our way up what seemed an endless amount of stairs, we looked out over the top of the tier we were located in... I didn’t appreciate how far up we were actually sat, and looking down at the players – they were like little specs on a green field. Such was the distance away from the pitch; I was struggling to work out who was who. We took to our seats right at the top of the stand though, and watched on as the players warmed up.

Magilton didn’t really ring any surprising changes, and continued with the same line up/formation that has served us so well of late.

Cerny continued in goal. The back four was made up of Leigertwood at right back, Gorkss and Stewart in the middle, and Borrowdale out on the left.

In midfield we had Routledge on the right, Rowlands and Watson in the centre and Buzsaky out wide left.

Upfront we continued with Simpson and Vine (you knew that already didn’t you?).

Just before I start on the game, I have to say that just before kick off the QPR fans were piling into the ground. When we first arrived, I wondered where they all were… but as we watched 90% of them stumble their way to seats it was clear that the answer was in fact – the pub!

Right from the first whistle, it was clear that Magilton had really pumped the players up for this one. The fans were clearly on the same wavelength, and any time a tackle went in, or a pass was made the fans were up cheering and supporting the players.

In the opening exchanges, both teams were playing some lovely football. Newcastle had the first opening, but as one of their midfielders came forward with the ball, Watson dispossessed him with a crunching tackle which again was met with a huge applause.

The first effort on goal went our way. Leigertwood had won back possession in the right back slot, and fed the ball short to Routledge along the half way line. As he turned his marker on the spot, he raced forward through the middle of the pitch. The Newcastle left back was dragged wildly out of position… Routledge looked to have taken a touch too far, and as one Newcastle defender flew in with a flying challenge (I think it was Taylor) Routledge clipped the ball back out to the right hand side, where Leigertwood had proceeded completely unopposed. Leigertwood drilled the ball into the box hard, Vine could only manage a tame effort though and it was easily held by Harper in the Newcastle goal. Again though, as had been the case at Cardiff, Chelsea and Barnsley – it was mouth-watering football.

Sensing the belief and confidence running through the players, the fans all stood and chanted ferociously in support. It hadn’t gone unnoticed, and I clocked at least 3 players look up to where we were located, as we waited for the goal kick.

On the subject of chants, I had been wondering why what we were singing had almost a different twang to it. At first, I put it down to the vast amount of alcohol that had clearly been consumed, but I later realized that I was actually surrounded in amongst QPR supporting Geordies. After the above move, one of them turned to me and said “Aye up lad, great move that aye” and the penny had finally dropped.

Following on from our recent attack on goal, we were soon pressurizing the hosts yet again. I think it was Watson who actually played the ball through the middle, and as the tireless Simpson chased what looked like a lost cause, he forced the defender to slash the ball clear from the edge of the box… In doing so, it left Watson with a one on one race with who I believe was Alan Smith to win possession. Fortunately Watson managed to win it, and with Simpson to his right and Buzsaky to his left… he took a couple of steps towards goal and let fly with a shot around 20 yards out. It looked to have taken a deflection off of one of the Newcastle players, and we watched on as it spun past Harper and into the back of the net.

For a minute I was an Islander turned Geordie, as I found myself swirled in a flurry of mayhem. I remember one of them having me in practically a headlock as we celebrated. One of them even went so far as to take his shirt off and wave it in the air… although personally I stopped short of joining him!

As if the belief in the players wasn’t high enough already, it was clearly now through the roof! After winning possession, we went held possession immaculately, and when Watson nutmegged smith with a deft back heel, I think near on every Geordie fan threw their fists in the air in frustration.

I haven’t spoke about it up until now, but some of the refereeing decisions were beyond belief. I appreciate that they aren’t perfect, and will make the odd mistake occasionally (they are only human after all), but NEVER have I seen a referee so insistent on making sure that the home side got EVERY single decision their way.

The next decision he made eclipsed the lot of them though. I think the cross actually came in from the right hand side, and after Gorkss had managed to head the ball towards the edge of the box… one of the players hit a shot that cannoned off of Stewart from about 8 yards out. Even the appeals from the Newcastle fans were half hearted at best, and remarkably the referee had the cheek to point to the spot. I stood motionless in utter disbelief at the decision, I’m not even sure that the ball hit his hand! I felt Rowlands would probably end up getting booked, such was his fury at the decision, it was a baffling penalty to award – and plenty of the other players let him know their displeasure too.

Suddenly now the Geordie fans found their voice, and it was met with ironic applause from our fans. Guthrie placed the ball onto the spot, and stepped back to take his spot kick. I could barely stand to watch… He struck his shot hard and low towards the bottom right hand corner, but we looked on as Cerny flew across his goalmouth and pushed the ball clear of danger. The celebrations that followed were near on par with the goal that we scored, and we remained in the lead thanks to that superb Cerny save.

It was end to end stuff, but we were grateful to Cerny yet again what was only a few minutes later. After the ball came in down the left, it looked as if Borrowdale had lost his footing and that allowed Guthrie to cut in from the right hand side. I sunk down against the wall as he advanced one on one with Cerny. He looked to slide the ball underneath him, but somehow Cerny managed to stop him with what looked like his feet, and then scramble onto the ball. The frustration was starting to show on, and Guthrie made a deliberate attempt to leave his foot in and hurt Cerny – although credit to Radek he didn’t make any great deal of it. Needless to say the referee ‘missed’ it again.

It was again Newcastle that had the next effort on goal, albeit in questionable circumstances. This time it was Nolan who was the culprit, and after scything down Routledge further up the pitch, the referee allowed play to continue with the latter crumbled on the floor. From the resulting attack Newcastle won a corner, and again the players and fans vented their anger at the referee for yet another bizarre decision.

As the cross came in, one of the Newcastle players managed to steer his header goal wards… with Cerny rooted to his spot, we watched as Borrowdale managed to scrap it off the line and clear of danger. Vehement protests that the ball was over the line followed by the Newcastle players, and despite the joke of a referee giving them everything under the sun… even he didn’t have the cheek to award them a goal here. Believe me, if there was even the slightest possibility of it being over the line – they would have got it without a doubt!

As the clock ticked down towards half time, we ever so nearly managed to get a couple of goals… both chances falling to Akos Buzsaky. Vine had picked the ball up on the left hand side, and after he managed to beat one player, he slid the ball central to Buzsaky who was about 25 yards out… he didn’t even look up as he unleashed a thunderous drive at goal which just flew over the crossbar. Had it been just a few inches lower, it would have been the second outstanding goal he would have scored in a matter of days.

Another chance came his way a matter of minutes later as well. Again it was Simpson who was causing the danger with his pace, and after chasing down another ball fed in behind the defence, he forced Harper off of his goal line to boot the ball clear… it was a poor clearance though, and it fell to Buzsaky about 40+ yards out. As Harper scrambled back to his goal, Buzsaky let fly with a shot that spun wide of the post. It was a major let off for Newcastle though, and any other day Buzsaky puts it in the back of the net and we go 2-0 up.

As the referee (haha!) blew time on the first half, I really couldn’t have been happier with our performance. We looked resolute all over the pitch, and Cerny was just plain outstanding.

It was clear that Hughton could feel the game may slip away, and he made a substitution with Nicky Butt making way for the unmistakable (even from about a mile in the air) Gutierrez.

Magilton didn’t make any changes at all, although personally I felt Vine should have came off at this stage. Proving me wrong however, it was Vine who set up the first chance what was only a matter of minutes into the second half. After jinking his way past the Newcastle right back, he sent a superbly flighted cross into the box… it was Stewart of all people that was on the end of it, and after blowing past the heavy footed defender - he saw his crashing header go centimetres wide of the post. Like Buzsaky’s chance, any other day that goes in.

I don’t know what Magilton said to them at half time, but whatever it was it was working! We then saw another free flowing move which was again just a joy to behold. Buzsaky advanced down the left hand side, and after pinging the ball around with Watson and Rowlands, it eventually landed at Vine’s feet on the edge of the box. I think the defenders were trying to cut out another pass, and as Vine looked to shoot, he took one further touch and struck at goal… It wasn’t really ever going to test Harper, and went narrowly wide of the post. Again though, hats off to the players… Newcastle (and most teams for that matter), just could not handle them.

The chances kept on coming, and I thought we had scored again a few minutes later. We had a corner kick, and as the players took their positions in the box, again I saw a couple of them look up at the enormous amount of noise being generated from where we were sat. “Come on you R’s!” blasted out from our end, and watching the muted Geordies looking over at us singing out hearts out was a real sweet moment that I won’t be forgetting in a hurry.

As Buzsaky sent his curling corner into the box, I think it was Gorkss who managed to get a head on it and drift it across the goal mouth… Newcastle and QPR players all threw themselves at the ball, and it eventually fell to Stewart, who could have been little more than 4 yards from the back of the net. He managed a scuffed effort on goal, and somehow it managed to rebound off a Newcastle defender and out for a corner kick. How on earth that chance didn’t go in I just don’t know… it was a rotten bit of luck yet again.

I can’t really think of many saves that Cerny had to make, but one Newcastle player I will reserve special praise for is Gutierrez – he is some player! I think he is the first winger than I have seen Leigertwood struggle with this season, and how he isn’t plying his trade in the top tier I just don’t know. Without really hurting us, some of his runs were causing real havoc at the back, although in fairness there was always someone on hand to clear the danger.

Hughton again decided to mix things up, and he now brought on Marlon Harewood. He hadn’t been on the pitch for long, but his impact was immediate. After a cross came in from the left, a couple of players attempted to clear the ball… but it somehow landed at Harewood’s feet, and he bundled the ball past Cerny.

Magilton opted to make a couple of changes with Taarabt and later Faurlin both brought on at the expense of Vine and Simpson.

Taarabt had a chance with near on his first touch of the ball, and after tricking his way to the edge of the box, he let fly with a shot that went just wide of the post.

As the clock ticked down towards the end, I will just mention one sublime piece of skill by Routledge down in the corner to our right. I think we were actually in injury time at this stage, and he found himself locked in the corner with 2 Newcastle players picking away at the ball. Somehow he managed to wriggle his way through both of them, and when another player flew in with a high challenge, he beat him as well! He squared the ball for Buzsaky, who saw a wild effort fly high and wide of the post, but again it was a great run and superb piece of individual brilliance from Routledge.

As the referee blew time on the game, the silent Geordies made for the exits, while pretty much every single QPR fan stood to applaud the players for another brilliant performance. Magilton looked extremely grateful for our support, and I have to say a massive well done to everyone that made the journey up north – each and every one of you were outstanding!

I hate to get carried away with individual games and performances, as consistency is the name of the game in this league. But despite having had little over 5 hours sleep, I’m still buzzing such was the level and intensity of our performance.

Again, keeping feet on the floor… but I’m just starting to think that maybe, just maybe appointing Magilton was an absolute masterstroke by the board. Plenty of ex-managers have promised this free flowing attacking football, and their words have proved hollow.

Magilton on the other hand seems to have established a resilient backline, and with a midfield and frontline that just screams ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!

I for one am absolutely delighted with not only our recent results – but the performances (not only individually but collectively as well). We are really starting to click, and I genuinely believe in this form we are a match for anyone, certainly at CCC level.

I have tried not to mention the ‘performance’ from the referee, as I thought it would detract from what was a stunning performance from us out there. That wasn’t 11 vs 11 yesterday, and the referee wasn’t like a 12th man for them… he was a 14th or 15th man such was the bias. Fortunately the travelling fans managed to make up the numbers.

Player Ratings –

Cerny – He was having one of those days where you felt that no matter what came his way, he would save it. It was a superb stop from the penalty, but he made plenty of other saves to keep us in the lead and the scores level. You could ask no more from him yesterday, simply put… he was awesome.

Borrowdale – He did slip in the first half, which nearly resulted in Guthrie drawing the scores level. Aside from that, I actually thought that Borrowdale had a steady game for us yesterday. Managed to clear one off from under the line, and certainly a far cry from the weak link he was earlier in the season. He is actually starting to look like a really accomplished player now.

Stewart – Very unfortunate not to have got at least one goal yesterday. From start to finish though, he was dominant alongside Gorkss. If I was being picky I would say he needs to stop the long hoof up field, as he still seems to do that occasionally. As I said though, that’s being picky. He had an excellent game.

Gorkss – Didn’t put a foot wrong all night long. Passed the ball into midfield brilliantly, and like Cerny – you could ask no more.

Leigertwood – In the first half I thought he was tremendous. He links up with Routledge so well, it’s almost a telepathic understanding that they have at times… and he is always on hand at the back, and never caught out of position. He did struggle at stages against Gutierrez, but that’s no mark on Leigertwood. Gutierrez should be playing at a much higher level IMO.

Buzsaky – Like Stewart, he will count himself unlucky to have not scored last night. He did link up with the other players, particularly Watson brilliantly though. One other positive from his game yesterday was surprisingly his defending. He ran himself so so hard to try and cover, and credit to him because I didn’t really view him as that sort of player.

Rowlands – Gritty performance from him yet again. He was getting increasingly frustrated with the refereeing decisions, but continued to plug away during the game and didn’t give the opposition any time on the ball. That great partnership with Watson continues…

Watson – I appreciate he has only played a handful of games for us, but I truly believe we should be moving heaven and earth to get him in on a permanent basis. It’s not a knee-jerk reaction to him scoring last night (he was quite fortunate with his shot in truth), but I just feel so much more confident with having him out there playing for us… and I think that confidence spreads throughout the whole team. I didn’t realize quite how good he actually is, and how Martinez doesn’t view him as a potential starter in his team I don’t know!

Routledge – I think he has been arguably our best player this season, and it was another great performance from him yesterday. You could tell that when he teased the opposition with those fluid runs either to the by-line or across the pitch, experienced players (like Nicky Butt and Alan Smith) were just scared to get anywhere near him. Building a great understanding with Leigertwood, and like Buzsaky he really fought for the cause.

Simpson – Not his best game out there for us yesterday, but he continued to chase down anything and everything… and it nearly resulted in a couple of goals. I felt for him, because he was up against another player who should be playing in the Premiership in the form of Taylor. Simpson didn’t really get a chance at goal, but I wouldn’t bet against him returning to scoring ways against Swansea on Saturday.

Vine – I was actually very disappointed with him yesterday. Admittedly, he did set a chance up for Stewart on a plate at the start of the second half, but I thought overall he had a poor game. We were building some superb moves and attacks, and when it got to Vine it all just seemed to break down. It’s not a criticism of his ability – I think we all know how good he is on his day… but his form does leave a lot to be desired. I wouldn’t be against seeing Taarabt or even Agyemang start ahead of him against Swansea.

Substitutions –

Taarabt – No time to really get into the game. Couple of nice runs (and passes!), but not enough time to really make an impact on the game.

Faurlin – See above. Couple of nice passes etc, nothing worthy of note.

I eventually arrived home at 7:10am, just 20 minutes short of 24 hours since I had woken up. When my head eventually hit my pillow, it was just DIVINE. But I can honestly say it was worth every single minute of the journey though – I think we can all hang our heads high, those players out there really did us proud last night.

RANGERS ARE BACK, RANGERS ARE BACK!

Thanks very much for reading,

SM

yeah

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh;d;d;d;d;d;d;dyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeaah
    yabbe dabber doooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    im over the rainbow and happy as can be
    my my sm has come back too me
    hes better than any newpaper his eyes can pick up every detail
    but please remember i send him the most fan mail

Comment

Once again," a like being there, report".......nice one sm.
      They seek him here.................

Comment

A Great report thanks for taking time out to write it sounded a superb performance gutted I could not get out of work for it.
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/1882QP...5398272?ref=ts

Comment

fantastic report sm,who was the ref?
          Ooh northern lads love gravy

Comment

no dedication sim,you should of made the extra effort and hit the pub.So you had a few miles to drive back.
            Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

Cheers for that. Great read.

Comment

Thanks very much for all the comments everyone

I think the referee was Shoebridge VanHoop... honestly words cannot desribe how poor he was!

Gtleighsr3 - I would never have gotten home if i did that!!

Comment

Good report as always, it was a joy to watch even from so high up.......7 ****** levels to go up tro get there but worth it, was funny seeing people reach the top creamed (as i was too)

best we played for ages and in control (mostly), gutted we didnt win but the majority of us would have taken a point if given it before. Could have been all 3 - Stewarts header was agonisingly close
                  Thank **ck thats all over with !!! need a holiday!!!

Comment

when you were talking about the fans and the players, my eyes were going teary, and I'm only reading what happened, sounds like a night that will never be forgotten. Thanks.

Comment

Good report as ever and jogged my memory as I had 1 to many and struggled to see the game from that high up tipsy!!!
                      @chrisrobson9

Comment

A very good report.
                        ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
                        THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Cheers SM.... I always agree with your summaries of the games that I do go to watch.. and trust your reports on the game(s) that I missed! Nice one fella!

Comment

Thanks very much everyone

Comment

Thank you very much for such a good report

Comment

Working...
                              X