A turning point maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
    Vargas is a winger, I think you may be one of two people on here who think he isn't. He has said it himself. He is no striker, simple as.
    Signed as striker, scores goals fo Chile, quick feet, good shot, makes runs off defenders. Striker for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Alanwycombe View Post
      Signed as striker, scores goals fo Chile, quick feet, good shot, makes runs off defenders. Striker for me.
      What do you mean signed as a striker? He didn't even play striker for chile. He hasn't done it in years. He is capable of doing it to an ok standard but the fact is that he is a winger. He said it and I doubt it really matters to him if you think he is a striker. He knows his best position.
      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Box to box? You'd have to explain that to him. "When we lose the ball, you run back Leroy."
        I don't even think that is hugely necessary, he just needs to be there when sandro wins the ball.
        "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

What do you mean signed as a striker? He didn't even play striker for chile. He hasn't done it in years. He is capable of doing it to an ok standard but the fact is that he is a winger. He said it and I doubt it really matters to him if you think he is a striker. He knows his best position.
          Vargas is a wide forward, in the mould of Sanchez (who plays on the opposite flank for Chile), Walcott or Sterling. He's fine as a standard striker or a right winger, but his best position seems to be cutting in from the flanks in a 433/4231.

Or, as Chile play, in a 343 / 3412 with a withdrawn no 10 (Vidal) playing centrally behind two wide forwards. Can't see Harry trying out such complicated tactics any time soon though.

Confusion here is largely because English football struggles with versatility or positions outside of your traditional 442. So no, Vargas isn't Alan Shearer and nor is he a right winger in the classic Aaron Lennon sense, of course not. But he's not wasted out wide.

To get the best out of Taarabt we want runners ahead of him when he receives the ball between the lines. Think Mackie, Routledge, Ephraim and Smith in 10/11. That means Austin up front, Vargas right and ideally Zarate on the left. Fer doesn't really work in that role.

The big problem compared to previous seasons would be service to Taarabt. Faurlin was brilliant at finding the pass to feet through the midfield. It's something we really miss. Maybe Fer as a centre-mid alongside Henry and eventually Sandro might be the answer.

Comment

I don't even think that is hugely necessary, he just needs to be there when sandro wins the ball.
            Sandro's knackered, that's why we got him. Live with it.

Comment

Sandro's knackered, that's why we got him. Live with it.
              Lol what? You seem to be having a bit of a problem with just about anything I say. Sandro is excellent when he plays. He got injured and it happens, we took that risk. He certainly is not knackered, he is 25 and full of energy on the pitch and enthusiasm.

Comment

Originally posted by Geng View Post
                Vargas is a wide forward, in the mould of Sanchez (who plays on the opposite flank for Chile), Walcott or Sterling. He's fine as a standard striker or a right winger, but his best position seems to be cutting in from the flanks in a 433/4231.

Or, as Chile play, in a 343 / 3412 with a withdrawn no 10 (Vidal) playing centrally behind two wide forwards. Can't see Harry trying out such complicated tactics any time soon though.

Confusion here is largely because English football struggles with versatility or positions outside of your traditional 442. So no, Vargas isn't Alan Shearer and nor is he a right winger in the classic Aaron Lennon sense, of course not. But he's not wasted out wide.

To get the best out of Taarabt we want runners ahead of him when he receives the ball between the lines. Think Mackie, Routledge, Ephraim and Smith in 10/11. That means Austin up front, Vargas right and ideally Zarate on the left. Fer doesn't really work in that role.

The big problem compared to previous seasons would be service to Taarabt. Faurlin was brilliant at finding the pass to feet through the midfield. It's something we really miss. Maybe Fer as a centre-mid alongside Henry and eventually Sandro might be the answer.
                I think it is down to playing with a rotational ability. Having 3 just off the striker who can all move around will be a nightmare for defenders. Imagine Taarabt as a left and central number 10, Vargas as a right and central number 10 and Zarate in all three areas of the pitch. Having those three behind austin gives us a huge number of runners offensively and lending to more goalscoring.

Comment

Lol what? You seem to be having a bit of a problem with just about anything I say. Sandro is excellent when he plays. He got injured and it happens, we took that risk. He certainly is not knackered, he is 25 and full of energy on the pitch and enthusiasm.
                  Ok, add to your stats how many games he plays for us in future.

Comment

Ok, add to your stats how many games he plays for us in future.
                    Ahh, I see, another person who is anti stats. Fair enough m8, believe what you want. I don't need to defend my points against yours any more. What is the point when you will totally ignore what I said because it doesn't fit in with what you want to hear

Comment

I think it is down to playing with a rotational ability. Having 3 just off the striker who can all move around will be a nightmare for defenders. Imagine Taarabt as a left and central number 10, Vargas as a right and central number 10 and Zarate in all three areas of the pitch. Having those three behind austin gives us a huge number of runners offensively and lending to more goalscoring.
                      I'd rather keep Adel central (primarily) than see a free for all though. Getting Adel on the ball and Vargas making runs ahead of it definitely plays to both their strengths. Taarabt is pretty useless at making runs in behind himself (I'm struggling to think of a time he's ever been clean through on goal without dribbling there himself).

Comment

Working...
                      X