Wage capping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wage capping

Being what we are and what we went through in the last three seasons, is it about time the board decide on a wage capping. We made a lot of mistakes in the past and judging by what is being speculated in the media, we may be on another scare ride. Luckily enough, we managed our last suicide. However, even to contemplate another suicide will be total madness. As I see it, there are two faces of a coin. One is to pretend that because of the money, we can compete with the best in the Premier. We already 'learned' how we ended up on such an occasion. We can only bring to the club has been, that command salaries of top stars. However, they have past their best. And then, we can be more realistic. Go for average Premier and good Championship players that demand wages that we can afford. We may still struggle; however I am sure that if we get players of the right sort and dedicated to the cause, we will give it a real go. Our aim must be to stay in the Premier, but also keeping in mind that it will be a fight against relegation. But I am sure we can be better then at least six other Premier teams. That's why I go for wage capping. Slightly better then teams in the Premier, but sustainable enough in case we drop again.

As long as you put relegation clauses in contracts and players agree to sign them or wage deferrals on relegation then the club should be able to manage better, but any club relegated now will need time to balance books when dropping down a division, you could set a cap of say 60k a week but you'll just pay out more on appearances and win bonuses and alike

Comment

Most of the lower teams in the Premier are not paying 60k in wages to their players. Maybe they go as high as 40k.

Comment

Good post Martin. However, a couple of points:
        1. I think it is the total spent on wages that matters more than a per-player maximum.
        2. If TF is willing to spend a bit more than the other smallish PL teams to ensure we stay in the PL then he should go for it. PL survival is critical to his long term plans so I do expect to see him spending a bit extra now to ensure it.
        'Only a Ranger!' cried Gandalf. 'My dear Frodo, that is just what the Rangers are: the last remnant in the South of the great people, the Men of West London.' - Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter I - Many Meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by winalotto View Post
          As long as you put relegation clauses in contracts and players agree to sign them or wage deferrals on relegation then the club should be able to manage better, but any club relegated now will need time to balance books when dropping down a division, you could set a cap of say 60k a week but you'll just pay out more on appearances and win bonuses and alike
          Very good point mate. This will ensure protecting the club, but the challenge are there many players willing to do so with us?

I can see up to now the club have not signed anyone which imo means we are not going to sign anyone available like what Aston Villa have done. Add 2-3 top Championship players with a couple of PL experiened players who are still hungry for challenges (have not won titles with big clubs) and we will be ok.

Good Championship targets could be: Bryson, McCormack, Nick Powell, Troy Deeney, Gareth McLeary...etc.
          Good hungry PL players: Ashley Williams, Harry Kane, Dejagah, Hooper, ...etc.
          QPR fan since1987

@yousef_qpr

Comment

i'm a firm believer in wage capping in the game itself. not the players' fault - if i was given £50k,90k,300k a week for doing my job i'd take it. clubs are in debt, the bubble will burst one day (i see a european superleague being created as more and more leagues across europe fall into have a "top3/4" who always compete for the title) as sponsors and others look to invest in a new group.

And i think it's a good idea.

Comment

If were going to have relegation wage drops then we need to accept also that players are going to ask for release clauses in the event of relegation and we will lose players for less then they are potentially worth i.e. Remy

Comment

Originally posted by Martinmalta View Post
                Being what we are and what we went through in the last three seasons, is it about time the board decide on a wage capping. We made a lot of mistakes in the past and judging by what is being speculated in the media, we may be on another scare ride. Luckily enough, we managed our last suicide. However, even to contemplate another suicide will be total madness.

As I see it, there are two faces of a coin. One is to pretend that because of the money, we can compete with the best in the Premier. We already 'learned' how we ended up on such an occasion. We can only bring to the club has been, that command salaries of top stars.

However, they have past their best. And then, we can be more realistic. Go for average Premier and good Championship players that demand wages that we can afford. We may still struggle; however I am sure that if we get players of the right sort and dedicated to the cause, we will give it a real go.

Our aim must be to stay in the Premier, but also keeping in mind that it will be a fight against relegation. But I am sure we can be better then at least six other Premier teams. That's why I go for wage capping. Slightly better then teams in the Premier, but sustainable enough in case we drop again.
                Good post, food for thought

Comment

Working...
                X