Reality checks needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reality checks needed.

I appreciate this is a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinions but have to say I think its laughable atm that people are saying players of the ability of williams, townsend or even hooper for that matter are below us or wouldnt want them at our club.

Williams is the Swansea captain aged 29 and played last 3 seasons in very decent mid table team.
    Townsend was class at us then established himself in a top 5 team. Called up to the England squad and was then hailed as one of our brightest rising young stars until he got injured. but he's too 1 dimensional now apparently.
    Hooper 1 year ago most of us wanted him. Didnt do amazing in the prem but also didnt do to bad. To make the step up from scots prem to english prem is massive. Last season prob done him the world of good.

All british good ages and would improve us tremendouslyif added to core the players we have now.
    I think we need to remember who we are and where we are at. Most of the bottom half prem teams would want these players. Heard lots of people saying we want to build sensibly with British based players of a good age ect but some seem to think we are some elite team and these players arent good enough and I find it a joke tbh.

Well said!

Comment

As your first sentence said "we are a forum". People don't come on here to read about us signing Joe Bloggs from Scunthorpe United.

Comment

No player's good enough for our club, you should know that by now!

Comment

I think it's unfair to judge Hooper on half a season. I think a lot of us still feel scorned from last season. Who can really blame him though. Maybe he had a better offer here, but relished the chance to play in the PL. I would welcome him to the club. Good post.

Comment

Originally posted by maidstone_hoop View Post
            I appreciate this is a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinions but have to say I think its laughable atm that people are saying players of the ability of williams, townsend or even hooper for that matter are below us or wouldnt want them at our club.

Williams is the Swansea captain aged 29 and played last 3 seasons in very decent mid table team.
            Townsend was class at us then established himself in a top 5 team. Called up to the England squad and was then hailed as one of our brightest rising young stars until he got injured. but he's too 1 dimensional now apparently.
            Hooper 1 year ago most of us wanted him. Didnt do amazing in the prem but also didnt do to bad. To make the step up from scots prem to english prem is massive. Last season prob done him the world of good.

All british good ages and would improve us tremendouslyif added to core the players we have now.
            I think we need to remember who we are and where we are at. Most of the bottom half prem teams would want these players. Heard lots of people saying we want to build sensibly with British based players of a good age ect but some seem to think we are some elite team and these players arent good enough and I find it a joke tbh.
            i can honestly say that i dont want hooper anywhere near our club.

along with crouch,lampard,cole,ferdinand and dawson.

give me morrison,caulker,will hughes,cresswell,alex mcarthy.
            nsa/cia spy on this..............┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman34 View Post
              i can honestly say that i dont want hooper anywhere near our club.

along with crouch,lampard,cole,ferdinand and dawson.

give me morrison,caulker,will hughes,cresswell,alex mcarthy.
              I don't rate Hooper tbh. Would rather Deeney or Rhodes.

Comment

Originally posted by alleyhoops View Post
                I think it's unfair to judge Hooper on half a season. .
                Hooper's been poor all season in the prem.... I personally think he'd have been better off going to a better Championship side from Scunthorpe rather than the Scottish pub league. Not that many players go there for a number of years then do well in the prem and i think it's because they can get complacent unintentionally because Celtic and before their demotion, Rangers, have it far far too easy. There is no proper challenge, which cant be good for developing as a player.

He's then come into the prem and been nowhere near the pace and found severely wanting.

Personally, i think any of the top strikers in the championship would be far better suited to step into the prem than anyone coming from the Scottish prem as he did. Now he's had a poor season in the prem, confidence will be very low and i would prefer any of the top championship strikers to him now.

Comment

Originally posted by Del View Post
                  Hooper's been poor all season in the prem.... I personally think he'd have been better off going to a better Championship side from Scunthorpe rather than the Scottish pub league. Not that many players go there for a number of years then do well in the prem and i think it's because they can get complacent unintentionally because Celtic and before their demotion, Rangers, have it far far too easy. There is no proper challenge, which cant be good for developing as a player.

He's then come into the prem and been nowhere near the pace and found severely wanting.

Personally, i think any of the top strikers in the championship would be far better suited to step into the prem than anyone coming from the Scottish prem as he did. Now he's had a poor season in the prem, confidence will be very low and i would prefer any of the top championship strikers to him now.
                  spot on. great post.
                  nsa/cia spy on this..............┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Originally posted by jmelanie View Post
                    As your first sentence said "we are a forum". People don't come on here to read about us signing Joe Bloggs from Scunthorpe United.
                    Went to Liverpool a few years back - http://www.football.co.uk/liverpool/...s1984862.shtml

Comment

I appreciate the hooper comments and I agree he wouldn't personally be at the top of my list. I think there are 3 or 4 strikers in the championship I would want us to look at first. I just personally dont hold a grudge against him for turning us down last year for Norwich in wc year. I also dont think he was a disaster, especially as I think the norwich team were pretty poor.
                      I also think harry must rate him as if i remember he was our first choice over Charlie so wouldn't be massively surprised if he was still on our radar.

Comment

I appreciate the hooper comments and I agree he wouldn't personally be at the top of my list. I think there are 3 or 4 strikers in the championship I would want us to look at first. I just personally dont hold a grudge against him for turning us down last year for Norwich in wc year. I also dont think he was a disaster, especially as I think the norwich team were pretty poor.
                        I also think harry must rate him as if i remember he was our first choice over Charlie so wouldn't be massively surprised if he was still on our radar.
                        I was one to say don't touch Hooper, but you've changed my mind!!!!
                        On reflection, Hooper would be an ok addition if he came to LR!

Comment

A lot of players have had poor first seasons in the PL then pushed on. Hooper could be decent in the right side.

Comment

With maidstone on this.
                            PRIDE OF LONDON.

Comment

I don't hold a grudge because he didn't come to us last year, it's simply that I don't think he's that good to warrant the fee they'd expect. His poor season and subsequent lack of confidence i would imagine, only compounds that further.

Comment

Working...
                              X