Matt Winton blog on West London Sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabulous Piece

Fabulous piece! The best QPR article I have read in a very long time. Extremely well written and should be required reading for all Rangers fans.

For me, the key points:

QPR operated through the 80s and early 90s very successfully on this basis and these were the core values that gave our club a talented and caring playing staff, prudent and successful chairmen, a great sense of community in west London and a fervent support that felt at one with their football club.

4) You must start scouting and buying talent from the lower leagues again.

6) Get some experienced players in the twilight of their careers in on free transfers, who in turn would give the team great balance, experience and also help to develop the club’s sellable assets, as the likes of Ray Wilkins, Trevor Francis and Tony Currie did.

7) Never again let QPR be the club to pay the highest wages or the biggest transfer fees as this always ends in tears. Please see every example when this has happened before and realise it only ever ends badly: Sheron, Spencer, Hately and almost every signing in the last two seasons. It breads a mercenary culture and creates no long-term stability or structure.

One thing I disagree with is that Matt seems to be looking backwards, rather than forwards. He makes great points about what we can learn from the past but he doesn't see a different future, whereas I do.

I also disagree with his point that our attendances will always be small because we are in London where there are a lot of competing clubs. I think it is exactly the opposite! - our attendances can be greatly increased because the DEMAND for football in London currently greatly exceeds the SUPPLY. These are the two key drivers, whether we are in London or Timbuktu.
    'Only a Ranger!' cried Gandalf. 'My dear Frodo, that is just what the Rangers are: the last remnant in the South of the great people, the Men of West London.' - Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter I - Many Meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
      fans say that's sensible not to spend big but just imagine next summer if tony keeps his wallet in his ****** pocket - this board will be in meltdown!
      I think the key is getting the balance right. I read a very interesting book on the business of football - "The Beautiful Game is Over" by John Samuels - and he makes the point very well that in football you need to invest to prosper, and he cites the demise of the great Midlands clubs as an example of what happens when a club is run too conservatively. And of course we all know what happened to Leeds and more recently Pompey when the spending is too extravagent. The bottom line is that you do need success on the pitch in order to pump up your bottom line, and you need to invest to get it!
      'Only a Ranger!' cried Gandalf. 'My dear Frodo, that is just what the Rangers are: the last remnant in the South of the great people, the Men of West London.' - Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter I - Many Meetings.

Comment

Working...
      X