Maybe, in hindsight, the fans have got it wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe, in hindsight, the fans have got it wrong

I, like many other fans, was pushing for Harry to play two up front earlier in the season. In recent weeks, he has obliged. The reality is, that we do not have the players to play four in midfield. Today was another example. Niko, nice skill, but does not have the legs to play in a two man midfield, particularly when you have questionable characters in Hoilett and Traore playing on the wings. both of those guys are weak.

Given the players we have, any chance we have now is going back to five in midfield (particularly against the stronger teams) and try and grind out a 1-0.

Other annoying thing today was seeing Ekotto arguing with one of his own players for the third time this season. Get rid ASAP.

Not wrong. Will see 5 man next sat as no one stepped up to the plate anyway to play along Doyle

Comment

Tactics 101 for WATRBs readers:

- more strikers doesn't mean "more attacking" or "more goals"

- Formations aren't as important as mindset. You can have an attacking 5311 or a defensive 343

- two up front means leaving gaps elsewhere

- CBs who are poor on the ball means at least one of the CMs has to drop deeper to pick up the ball

- This stretches the play hugely, meaning we then have about 60 yards between Barton alongside the centre backs and the two strikers up front. Niko (or Carroll, or whoever) is then our only player in this massive area and is easily picked up. Lazy wingers who don't get involved means we just punt the ball forward to the strikers.

- We could rectify some of the above issue by playing Onouha who isn't great on the ball but at least has the pace to enable us to push up

Comment

Who now thinks we will get promoted with the squad we have?

We are a mid-table team at best and HR is disappointing. Shows how lucky he's been in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Geng View Post
          Tactics 101 for WATRBs readers:

- more strikers doesn't mean "more attacking" or "more goals"

- Formations aren't as important as mindset. You can have an attacking 5311 or a defensive 343

- two up front means leaving gaps elsewhere

- CBs who are poor on the ball means at least one of the CMs has to drop deeper to pick up the ball

- This stretches the play hugely, meaning we then have about 60 yards between Barton alongside the centre backs and the two strikers up front. Niko (or Carroll, or whoever) is then our only player in this massive area and is easily picked up. Lazy wingers who don't get involved means we just punt the ball forward to the strikers.

- We could rectify some of the above issue by playing Onouha who isn't great on the ball but at least has the pace to enable us to push up
          Precisely what I said earlier in some post or other, only you've spelled it out a f3ckton clearer than I could!

Comment

Originally posted by conners View Post
            I, like many other fans, was pushing for Harry to play two up front earlier in the season. In recent weeks, he has obliged
            To be fair, I dont think Redknapp played 2 up front because we called for it!

Agree with everything else though. We have an abundance of midfielders but never a consistent 4 (or 5) with the right balance.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoop-du-Jour View Post
              Precisely what I said earlier in some post or other, only you've spelled it out a f3ckton clearer than I could!
              I've been saying this for 715 posts and counting. One day the WATRBs masses will understand, sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by Geng View Post
                I've been saying this for 715 posts and counting. One day the WATRBs masses will understand, sigh.
                Well shee it, you can take the job of manager!

Trouble is, Arry's been tasked with taking us up, not keeping us there.

Keeping us there is a whole nother job!

Comment

yep, it's all so short term. See LoftForWord's bit on Onouha the other day for instance, or all the loans, Benayoun etc.

We could have spent all this ££ over the last 2.5 yrs on buying up all the best 23yr olds in the Championship. A team of Phillips and Austins, ready to take on the PL. But instead we're gonna have another spending spree in the summer, regardless of the division.

Comment

Working...
                  X