How Good was Stan Bowles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Good was Stan Bowles

Got a mention on another thread but surely worthy of its own thread for discussion

Never got to see Stan in the flesh but those of you that did you appear to have been treated week in week out as I have only ever heard good things about him

For those that did watch him how good was he and where there any stand out moments??

My mate always mentions him at Roker Park when they were presenting the FA Cup taking a pop at it from the half way line with the ball and knocking it off the table

I once sold his house for him.A naturally gifted player in the mould of George Best.Not quite as quick but same body swerves etc.One one occasion he wore odd football boots,one sponsored ,I believe by Nike and the other by Adidas so he could claim 2 lots of sponsorship money.That was until they found out what he was up to,and he lost both deals.Real character

Comment

he was

we were really lucky to have bowles he was a football genius
      Click here to view my blog.

More...

Comment

He was a quality player,my fav at the R's

That good I even named my cat after him!!

Someone must be able to find some compilation footage of him
        Thank **ck thats all over with !!! need a holiday!!!

Comment

Will never see the like again,difference in flair players of today is that everytime Stan was through on goal you always expected him to score and 9 times outta 10 he did,unlike todays breed where you just dont know,he created something out of nothing and was just superb to watch,my brother who is an avid West ham fan used to come to rangers regular then just to watch Stan's genius he was that good,he used to tell me the entrance money was well worth it just to watch Stan,but of course we did have the added bonus of Francis,Thomas,Givens which just made it a very special time.

Comment

I was privileged to see him make his debut against Forest in September 1972.

Simply the best player to pull on a blue and white hooped shirt in my 44 years watching us, including Rodney.
            I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

Originally posted by geejaybee View Post
              I once sold his house for him.A naturally gifted player in the mould of George Best.Not quite as quick but same body swerves etc.One one occasion he wore odd football boots,one sponsored ,I believe by Nike and the other by Adidas so he could claim 2 lots of sponsorship money.That was until they found out what he was up to,and he lost both deals.Real character
              it was in fact adidas and gola whilst playing for england, gola stopped his sponsorship but adidas thought it was great publicity and he kept there deal! was one of the greatest players anyone on this board would have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by cross it Dave View Post
                I was privileged to see him make his debut against Forest in September 1972.

Simply the best player to pull on a blue and white hooped shirt in my 44 years watching us, including Rodney.
                i grew up with marsh ... my hero! but i have to say bowles was the better team player and he is my wifes favourite player, so who am i to ague

Comment

Marsh was my favourite ,as i was younger ,but Bowles was the better ,also once said "how often did Marsh turn it on away" Bowles was a lot more concistant
                  Football played the Charlie Ferris way

Comment

Seen all 3 and for keeping us in the premier on his own I would say sir les was the greatest ever. A real complete striker
                    I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

As genius footballers go he was a Genius and only because of him I stayed a QPR supporter. I remember once he was taking the corner he wet his finger to check the wind, took the corner and scored from it.

Comment

Bowles was my hero and to this day he is the best QPR player we ever had imo.

Comment

Stan was the guv'nor, simple as.

I've seen lots of good players in my 40 years as an R, Stan was the best of the lot IMO.
                          Supporting QPR isn't just about a football team. It's about roots and identity.

Comment

Originally posted by QPR Richard View Post
                            Stan was the guv'nor, simple as.

I've seen lots of good players in my 40 years as an R, Stan was the best of the lot IMO.
                            Agree 100%
                            oldhoop

The Bread Mans Blue and White Army

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreQPR12 View Post
                              Seen all 3 and for keeping us in the premier on his own I would say sir les was the greatest ever. A real complete striker
                              The rot started with his departure in my view. Never replaced his goals and wasted the money and would argue have only just recovered from his sale

Comment

Working...
                              X