Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• on sky sport news tonight

MSN - Chhetri's English dream over, work permit denied
    - New Delhi: Indian striker Sunil Chhetri's dream of playing for English Championship side Queen's Park Rangers ended prematurely after the British government denied him work permit.
    - Chhetri had signed a three-year contract with QPR a few weeks back, although it was kept under wraps.
    - The club has been working to get Chhetri's work permit to play in England but on Friday, the Delhi lad's agent informed him that it was rejected by the British government.
    - According to the newly launched website of Football Players Association of India, Chhetri was denied permit since India is not in the top 70 in the FIFA rankings and the British government does not grant permit to non-European Union players whose country is ranked below 70.
    - Queen's Park Rangers, which is partly owned by steel magnate Laxmi Mittal, had been following Chhetri's career for over a year and were happy with his development as a player.
    - QPR CEO had also come down to see Chhetri in Barcelona where the Indian national team had a month-long training tour recently in preparation for the ongoing Nehru Cup.
    - Asked why he kept the contract with QPR under wraps, Chhetri said, "I had signed with QPR few weeks back and I knew I still would have had to wait for a work permit. So with lots of stories about me playing in Europe and with having a bad experience with the media in the Coventry case, I was skeptical," Chhetri said.
    - "I am disappointed because the work permit is something that I can't do anything about, being so close and not getting it is indeed disappointing. But it's not the end of the world. I will still continue to work hard for my country and my club Dempo, who have been very supportive," he added.
    - Indian captain and his strike partner in the national team, Bhaichung Bhutia said, "Sunil (Chhetri) would surely have done well in Queen's Park. He has the ability to play even in the premiership with one or two years of experience in the championship with QPR.
    - "It's sad that Indian team does not play enough international matches and that is a big set back for our ranking as well as our development. This is also a reason why today Sunil is not playing in England," added Bhutia, who was the first Indian to have played in English professional league for Bury FC from 1999-2002. Report

Would he have been that good for us?

Or was it a signing for the Mittal's?

India's captain struggled at Bury in League 2!
    First game: Arsenal vs Queen's Park Rangers at Highbury, Saturday 17th November 1984.

Comment

Originally posted by HammersmithR View Post
      Would he have been that good for us?

Or was it a signing for the Mittal's?

India's captain struggled at Bury in League 2!
      Exactly..... he would had done no good whatsoever, I don't mean to be horrible but he would had been no.1 flop of all time.

Comment

Asian players in general have a pretty poor record in this country.Pretty much none have been a success.

Even South East Asians have been few and far between.

Comment

Originally posted by ollyhoops View Post
          Exactly..... he would had done no good whatsoever, I don't mean to be horrible but he would had been no.1 flop of all time.
          Or flip flop.

Comment

he might not have been good enough for the first team generally but its part of the global branding plan, having a player from indea in the squad would have been great exposure for qpr in india. its a shame it didnt go through, step 2 after the first step of replacing Jude with a tiger i guess
            its New Era number 8 i tell thee, bring on the fireworks

Comment

Originally posted by PeterG View Post
              he might not have been good enough for the first team generally but its part of the global branding plan, having a player from indea in the squad would have been great exposure for qpr in india. its a shame it didnt go through, step 2 after the first step of replacing Jude with a tiger i guess
              Sell a few shirts i suppose.Bit like Park at Manure.Not very good but sells merchandise in Asia.

Comment

It would have heightened our profile, but they are probably right when they say

Sunil (Chhetri) would surely have done well at "Queen's Park"
                ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
                THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Originally posted by stan_bowles View Post
                  Sell a few shirts i suppose.Bit like Park at Manure.Not very good but sells merchandise in Asia.
                  We should start by trying to sell shirts in Westfield Shopping Centre first.

A Premier League team would soon solve that.
                  Signing players to sell shirts in the suburbs of Mumbai should be something we do after a couple of years in The Premiership.

Comment

we might need the mumbai short revenue to get to the premiership, I am all for any revenue generation that ofsets any further increases in ticket prices. There are short medium and long term business strategies at play here
                    its New Era number 8 i tell thee, bring on the fireworks

Comment

This highlights a worrying policy to be honest, buying players that won't improve the team for marketing reasons... imagine the pressure then to have him play or come off the bench to sell some shirts or whatever, even if he's worse than alternatives.....

Not Good imo.

Comment

My initial thoughts were how good would a player from India be for QPR - yes he probably would be decent at QP in Scotland's lower divisions?

It would have been a marketing ploy. But he wouldn't get a regular place in the side and that would make it very hard to sell replica shirts to the Indian's who probably watch a lot of Prem clubs.

If QPR really want to break into the global replica shirt market, they need to be a successful Prem side 1st. And to get there they will need to spend money on playrs capable of winning promotion i.e. Earnsahw not Chhetri, Fox not Borrowdale.

Comment

Working...
                        X