Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should admins/mods restrict their views?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should admins/mods restrict their views?

Some of you dislike my harsh views and you sometimes say that I don't deserve to be an admin because of this.

There are two approaches to this forum moderation thing. Some think that moderating is just a set of corresponding tasks, like moving stuff to the right section, deleting spam, issuing warnings and so on. So when you become a mod, you sacrifice some of your time but you don't sacrifice your opinions. I am in favour of this approach because it has worked well on WATRB over the last six years: less obscenities are posted, people argue in a more polite manner, we have very few instances of unsolicited commercial spam and so on. At the same time every admin/mod feels free to say what they feel needs saying within the forum rules. The way I see it, they thus remain regular fans.

The second approach would be to assemble a moderating team that would actually adhere to a stricter set of rules, not just perform moderation but be more reserved, have non-conflicting views, appear as neutral as possible, don't argue, etc. I would not fit in there. I'd call such people superfans - without derision, just not my cup of tea. This revised setup might actually work for many.

I'm a QPR supporter who is very critical, more critical than most, but a supporter nonetheless, as some of you know from meeting with me in real life, and as some others will never want to believe - it's OK, no hard feelings on my part towards the latter.

So my question is - would you want WATRB making a shift from the first approach to the second one?

The Yes vote would mean that I'd actually have no more place on the admin team and I have no problem with that. I never needed this position for selfish purposes, even if some disgruntled posters don't believe it, I just felt like helping MYU and I have done a lot of moderating over six years, ungrateful work and not always perfectly done, but had to be done by someone and not many would do it if they saw what I see "under the hood". And I'd do six more years - if I feel that I am still free to speak my mind within the forum rules. So my haters have probably already clicked Yes by now , while others might need more time to think it over. Thanks for hearing me out in any case!
    Yes
    14.29%
    No
    85.71%

The poll is expired.

Banning people is no longer my hobby,
    but take a look at my photo blog:

http://kirillqpr.blogspot.com/

How and why did I start supporting QPR in Estonia:
    http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/blog.php?b=852

I've been banned by you more times than bobby Zamora scored last season...we often don't see eye to eye but in the main I think you're an affable sort of chap!
    you know nothing john snow!!!!

Comment

No mate, your entitled to post here as much as anyone.

You just had one bad blip and that was the Anton thread.

Just get over it big man and carry on posting.

#gangof3
      nsa/cia spy on this..............┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

No you shouldn't have to restrict your views as admin / mod.

Comment

Post what you like, I do.

Comment

With great ban hammer, comes great responsibility...

Just remember, we can't put you on ignore like ordinary members.

Edit: I may change my vote, if you start whiny polls every time people call you out when you say something stupid though. Also if you keep using the word 'haters'
            Last edited by KuPR; 01-06-2015, 07:50 PM.

Comment

How cringey, should have just apologised about your harsh comments on Rio and moved on.
              Or resign, no bother to me ;)
              From the Hills of Kerry
              To the streets of Free Derry

Comment

Think you deserve a "Gardening leave" now. But only for a few months
                QPR
                Best team in the world
                Sort of

Comment

No

Comment

Apologise for what, guys? I did not break any forum rules. I merely said Rio had become useless by the time he signed for us and it had nothing to do with his family circumstances. And of course it would have made more sense if he spent the last year with his family instead of QPR. Harsh but true IMHO.

But some people keep jumping at such harsh views of mine to hint that mods should not be outspoken in this manner. I want to see if their opinion is actually prevalent around here. I will respect the prevalent opinion and act accordingly. Simples.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirill View Post
                      Apologise for what, guys? I did not break any forum rules. I merely said Rio had become useless by the time he signed for us and it had nothing to do with his family circumstances. And of course it would have made more sense if he spent the last year with his family instead of QPR. Harsh but true IMHO.

But some people keep jumping at such harsh views of mine to hint that mods should not be outspoken in this manner. I want to see if their opinion is actually prevalent around here. I will respect the prevalent opinion and act accordingly. Simples.
                      I think all admins/mods should be allowed to make fools of themselves and look like complete tw@ts, as much as they wish. Other mods can decide if it´s OTT. But they should also be ready to face a roasting by fellow posters if their views are controversial...
                      https://twitter.com/1qprdk

Comment

Very convoluted way to ask a simple question - Should I stay as admin? yes/no?

No point bringing other admins into it as they seem to like QPR.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Wilson View Post
                          Very convoluted way to ask a simple question - Should I stay as admin? yes/no?

No point bringing other admins into it as they seem to like QPR.
                          I like QPR, I just don't like TF and useless old mercs

Comment

Originally posted by Kirill View Post

That's just not true.

Comment

Originally posted by KuPR View Post
                              That's just not true.
                              So you disagree, that is not a problem. The problem is that some are only too happy to turn a disagreement into some kind of a Greek drama. "How dare ye! Recant! Resign! Etc."

Comment

Working...
                              X