Then and now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Then and now.

I will not be mentioning the golden years of the seventies. But I just re-visited the memorable FA Cup final against Tottenham during 1982. We were a second division side, however playing the replay like a football giants. I started making comparisons, then and now. We had then four players from our academy of the highest quality in Neill, Allen (did not actually played the replay due to injury in the first game), Waddock and goalkeeper Hucker. How we would do atm with the likes of Waddock and Allen! We had an old head in Gillard and what a player he was. A free transfer in Gary Mickelwhite (personally the mom). Hazell, now he was some stopper, never missing a tackle, together with Fenwick, a calm and influential player who equalized in the first game. Gregory and Stainrod playing on the wings and Flanagan playing as striker. There was also the biggest name of them all, Tony Currie, who unfortunately was responsible for the penalty and made some mistakes as well. When I compared these players with our current bunch, there is not a single player that can earn a place in that side.....in we where in the same division as we are now. How time has changed!

Originally posted by Martinmalta View Post
    I will not be mentioning the golden years of the seventies. But I just re-visited the memorable FA Cup final against Tottenham during 1982. We were a second division side, however playing the replay like a football giants. I started making comparisons, then and now. We had then four players from our academy of the highest quality in Neill, Allen (did not actually played the replay due to injury in the first game), Waddock and goalkeeper Hucker. How we would do atm with the likes of Waddock and Allen! We had an old head in Gillard and what a player he was. A free transfer in Gary Mickelwhite (personally the mom). Hazell, now he was some stopper, never missing a tackle, together with Fenwick, a calm and influential player who equalized in the first game. Gregory and Stainrod playing on the wings and Flanagan playing as striker. There was also the biggest name of them all, Tony Currie, who unfortunately was responsible for the penalty and made some mistakes as well. When I compared these players with our current bunch, there is not a single player that can earn a place in that side.....in we where in the same division as we are now. How time has changed!
    Look at the manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Alanwycombe View Post
      Look at the manager.
      I guess some would say Old Tel was learning his trade....... Before managing Barca, Spurs and England

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
        I guess some would say Old Tel was learning his trade....... Before managing Barca, Spurs and England
        He knew his way around the game 77, no flies on Tel. Worked with Big Mal don't forget. Probably learnt as much about what not to do as he did good things!

Comment

He knew his way around the game 77, no flies on Tel. Worked with Big Mal don't forget. Probably learnt as much about what not to do as he did good things!
          Certainly did, Alan. My tongue was firmly in my cheek. Picked up a spluttering side bequeathed him by the Doc, who was playing Tommy Langley up front and turned it all round; cup, promotion, Europe.....

Comment

Were we not unbeaten at home that season too?

Going to football used to be fun. Just a chore now once it kicks off. All I ever seem to leave with is a sore throat.

Comment

Certainly did, Alan. My tongue was firmly in my cheek. Picked up a spluttering side bequeathed him by the Doc, who was playing Tommy Langley up front and turned it all round; cup, promotion, Europe.....
              Pity he didn't buy the club - I do remember right that is was being talked of don't I? Players wanted to play for him, we'd have attracted some good ones in the days before mega wages.

Comment

Pity he didn't buy the club - I do remember right that is was being talked of don't I? Players wanted to play for him, we'd have attracted some good ones in the days before mega wages.
                Gregory loved him and essentially offered him the club if he stayed and didn't go to Barca, but the prospect was too big. The rest, as they say, is history. Every month under Tel we progressed. Even with that f acking awful plastic pitch. His one big boo bo.

Comment

Gregory loved him and essentially offered him the club if he stayed and didn't go to Barca, but the prospect was too big. The rest, as they say, is history. Every month under Tel we progressed. Even with that f acking awful plastic pitch. His one big boo bo.
                  Yeah, terrible. Can you imagine if WATRBs had been going then? Meltdown....!

Comment

venables my all time fav manager followed by ollie for the team talk at sheff weds when we were promoted

Comment

Old mans thread I can't contribute

I'm Not old enough

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post

I'm Not old enough
                        I knew it wouldn't take long.......

Comment

El Tel......

Comment

The following season 82/3 was my best all time supporting the R's... no contest

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post

I'm Not old enough

You make me feel ancient Westy
                              I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Working...
                              X