The Positives and Negatives @SheffieldWednesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Positives and Negatives @SheffieldWednesday

So, watched the extended highlights and am going to watch the full game soon, but I wanted to get your positives and negatives.

Positives
    Defence - everyone in that defence deserves credit for their performance over the full 90 minutes in that game. I think this should honestly spell the end for Konch as Robinson will be back soon to take his place.
    Nasser - So in every single appearance I've seen of this guy, he's done 2 things consistently well. 1) Dribble fantastically; 2) Show incredible vision in his deliveries, this time for the Phillips header (which had it been anyone else was a guaranteed goal) and for the Conor chance at the end. This guy Nasser is going to be a huge player for us, he just needs more of the ball because yesterday, only Washington and Ned had fewer first touches than him and he's come out of that creating some fantastic chances. Bringing back Faurlin will get more balls into the wider positions for him to strut his stuff.
    Smithies - I don't think I can say more than what has already been said here but this guy is a huge signing for us. The command of his box that he's shown is enough to make me happy as a fan but his shot stopping is fantastic as well and he read the penalty superbly. Great great keeper.
    JFH - The tactical nous to make such a unique change to a side and to adapt to changing requirements cannot be understated. We have a fantastic prospect here as a manager and we need to get behind his methods to get the best out of our club.

Negatives
    Phillips - Now, I'm a huge huge supporter of this guy, but yesterday, he was trying too hard to carve something out himself rather than play it simple. His finishing certainly needs to improve after the chances he had (especially the header) but I have faith that he will still be a great player.
    Toszer - Now, don't get me wrong, he scored a fantastic goal, but he lacked any sort of creative impetus beyond that and I cannot wait for Faurlin to get back to full fitness because he opens up the opportunity to not need Henry or Toszer in the line up and bring Polter Back, who had a good cameo late on.

What do you all think?
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

I think it's a travesty that Smithies had to sit on the bench as long as he did when we had Gutless in goal making error after error and getting the backing he did not deserve from so many fans

Comment

If Smithies had been in goal since the beginning of the season, i think we would have been in a play-off position.

Comment

Originally posted by jmelanie View Post
        If Smithies had been in goal since the beginning of the season, i think we would have been in a play-off position.
        Typical over reaction by fans on this site,when we were hammered at home to Fulham,Smithies was slated as being useless and at fault for all the goals,2 games on,he plays well and now he is the new Phil Parkes !!

Comment

Ridiculous statement.

how many goals did green concede that smithies would have saved? a handful? most certainly not 14 points worth, which is what we are off the play offs. Your also working on the basis that Smithies will never make an error?

Im delighted Smithies is in good form and i will be the first to admit i had my doubts about him after his dodgy early performances, but he has changed my mind and long may it continue, but to suggest what your saying is ridiculous.

Nas - always hard to put this sort of statement out there when you didnt watch the full 90 minutes. Most of what your saying is true, but i disagree about phillips and Nasser.

Phillips - always trying to make something happen and imho we have far too many players who are happy to keep the ball and play nice football, which actually doesnt ever end in a chance being created or a shot at goal. Phillips looks to effect games and i dont think he should be knocked for trying to beat his man or shooting. His finishing could improve, yes, but overall, iv been really happy with him lately and good to see someone taking the responsibility on in trying to win games and not just let it all drift by.

Nasser - he had a few opportunities to put balls into the box of which he either took too long to make his mind up or over complicated it. His ball in for Phillips was great, but had plenty of opportunities to do more of it and seemed hesitant to do so. had this annoying habit of beating a man, then cuts back, to then try and beat him again. Overall done quite well, but could have done a lot more IMHO.

All in all, was a great point to get, but dont be fooled, shef weds outplayed us and will be massively disappointed.

Toszer - your not wrong. disappointing again. for some reason i keep getting confused with him and Angella - were they both loans or did we sign one? either way, Toszer is not the future and needs to be gone sooner rather later.

back four were fantastic and looked comfortable against Hooper and a generally strong Shef weds attacking line. Dont think its any coincidence we looked stronger at the back without Konch and i personally would only recall him if we went down with massive injuries. Big credit to Perch who looked like he plays left back week in. My only slight concern with this back four is, we all know Nedum is very limited when on the ball and him at RB drives me crazy at times.

all in all, a great point, but they did look a class above us.

Comment

Just watched the extended highlights. Looked a decent performance. Nasser looks lively, his ball to put Washington nearly through was nice. Smithies is impressing more each week. Phillips needs to work on his finishing and composure as he had time for a few of his chances but seemed to rush it. Toszer's goal was a lovely finish, he came with a reputation of scoring from outside the box and showed why last night. Im a bit disappointed with Wednesday's goal as it seemed soft, in a few clips it seemed their No.9 would pull off onto Perch at LB (for a better height/strength advantage) and so we should have been aware of that and dealt with him properly. We allowed him a free run onto the ball and he put it away. Only other thing would be nice for Washington to get a goal soon as it will help him settle

Comment

"JFH - The tactical nous to make such a unique change to a side and to adapt to changing requirements cannot be understated. We have a fantastic prospect here as a manager and we need to get behind his methods to get the best out of our club."

I am not sure if this is baiting or not. Yesterday was a good point. However he is averaging 1 point per game. Ultimately this isn't good enough. He has had 15(W2 D9 L4) games in charge, and there are another 13 left in the league this year. Whilst we want to believe that the club is going to improve and have a brighter future, the jury is still out.
              Last edited by Southport; 24-02-2016, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hove Ranger View Post
                Just watched the extended highlights. Looked a decent performance. Nasser looks lively, his ball to put Washington nearly through was nice. Smithies is impressing more each week. Phillips needs to work on his finishing and composure as he had time for a few of his chances but seemed to rush it. Toszer's goal was a lovely finish, he came with a reputation of scoring from outside the box and showed why last night. Im a bit disappointed with Wednesday's goal as it seemed soft, in a few clips it seemed their No.9 would pull off onto Perch at LB (for a better height/strength advantage) and so we should have been aware of that and dealt with him properly. We allowed him a free run onto the ball and he put it away. Only other thing would be nice for Washington to get a goal soon as it will help him settle
                couldnt agree more about Washington. A couple of times his touch was poor in the box which squandered any chance, of a chance. Obviously has a decent touch as shown outside the box and is most likely his nerves.

Comment

Rubbish. Our problem overall this season hasn't been defence/goalkeeper, it's lack of goals and no bite up front.
                  Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
                  Pawel Wszolek - 6
                  Luke Freeman - 6
                  Matt Smith - 6
                  Ebere Eze - 4
                  Joel Lynch - 3
                  Tomer Hemed - 3
                  Toni Leistner - 2
                  Massimo Luongo- 2
                  Angel Rangel - 2
                  Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
                  Geoff Cameron - 1
                  Aramide Oteh - 1
                  Jake Bidwell - 1
                  Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Ninja View Post
                    Rubbish. Our problem overall this season hasn't been defence/goalkeeper, it's lack of goals and no bite up front.
                    Nah, this is not entirely rubbish. Green has cost us many points this season, thats a fact.
                    QPR
                    Best team in the world
                    Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post
                      Nah, this is not entirely rubbish. Green has cost us many points this season, thats a fact.
                      3-4 points, not 13.

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                        I think it's a travesty that Smithies had to sit on the bench as long as he did when we had Gutless in goal making error after error and getting the backing he did not deserve from so many fans
                        Bit quite now though aren't they. Awful keeper & I mean that.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy the Doc View Post
                          3-4 points, not 13.
                          He cost us far more than 3-4 points.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Floyd Rabbit View Post
                            Bit quite now though aren't they. Awful keeper & I mean that.
                            Have to hold my hands up, I was a staunch supporter of Green and can now see how much better a keeper Smithies is.
                            Still stand by the fact that Green is better than McCarthy though
                            Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
                            Pawel Wszolek - 6
                            Luke Freeman - 6
                            Matt Smith - 6
                            Ebere Eze - 4
                            Joel Lynch - 3
                            Tomer Hemed - 3
                            Toni Leistner - 2
                            Massimo Luongo- 2
                            Angel Rangel - 2
                            Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
                            Geoff Cameron - 1
                            Aramide Oteh - 1
                            Jake Bidwell - 1
                            Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Can't change the past.. Just glad Smithies got the chance to show what he can do.
                              C'Mon You Supaaaa!!

Comment

Working...
                              X