No announcement yet.

Pressing Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah it is a whole team. One goes to the ball, then the others go to the passing options that are near which will force them to go long or into a misplaced pass. The quicker you do it, the faster you get the ball back and you can catch your breath again.

I read somewhere that when you lose the ball, or they start to play from the back, you press/harass for 5-8 seconds in high intensity and then you fall back into shape.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ramsey is god;1494212]I disagree. Only works if the whole team are doing it. If one player goes t press the ball, everyone else has to squezze up to press other players to ensure there is no easy pass out.

Takes a team to do it and if one aint up to it, his man will always be the pass out and the whole press is pointless.[/QUOTE

I agree with Ramsey in that if only one person presses then the opponent always has an easy pass and we are constantly chasing the man in possession.

The minimum is that you press in pairs. I think it will be a real test of the Fitness levels of Faurlin and Sandro in particular.

Comment

Originally posted by SpongeParr View Post
        I read somewhere that when you lose the ball, or they start to play from the back, you press/harass for 5-8 seconds in high intensity and then you fall back into shape.
        Barcelona had a rule of 6 seconds to get the ball back after losing possession...pretty much think where the modern popularity of the pressing game came from.

6 seconds is tough......should probably start Sandro on 6 steps towards the bloke with the ball....

Comment

Originally posted by SpongeParr View Post
          Yeah it is a whole team. One goes to the ball, then the others go to the passing options that are near which will force them to go long or into a misplaced pass. The quicker you do it, the faster you get the ball back and you can catch your breath again.

This is the Pep Guardiola method. Lose the ball and go all out as a team to win it back, if you haven't regained possession in 8 seconds revert to formation.

Works for him, but he hasn't got Carl Serrant in charge of fitness :/

Comment

Think we can agree on two things:

1.) Our best CM pairing is Faurlin and Sandro

2.) Neither of these players are really cut out for a pressing game.

With the quality of player we have, i really do think we could control games with possession. We have a bit of pace in Hoilett and Phillips but think with our players we would be better suited trying to keep possession and working our way up the pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramsey is god View Post
              Think we can agree on two things:

1.) Our best CM pairing is Faurlin and Sandro

2.) Neither of these players are really cut out for a pressing game.

With the quality of player we have, i really do think we could control games with possession. We have a bit of pace in Hoilett and Phillips but think with our players we would be better suited trying to keep possession and working our way up the pitch.

To be fair to them, they dont need to be sprinting all over the place. The forwards are the ones that do the most chasing. Lets assume we are doing a 433 or 451, whatever you want to call it.

The wingers get close to the wing backs, striker close to the defenders. The 1 attacking mid pushes onto the holding midfielder on their team. Sandro and Faurlin only need to be close enough to not give an easy option. They wont be sprinting up to centre forward to press there.

Comment

Crystal Palace has a Squad which is made for this. Maybe a better excample than Rotherham
                QPR
                Best team in the world
                Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Greengrass View Post
                  Not sure that people understand 'pressing'. The team doesn't press for 90 minutes, and neither do individual players for 90 minutes. Only the player with the ball gets pressed, and generally only by one player, and if you're a Guardiola team, you press other players near the ball. Can't see how that's a fitness problem. Each player may only have to press for about 5 minutes in a game. Boom!
                  Hmm. It doesn't work unless the whole team sit that bit higher up the park - so that when you do win the ball, you can make it count. You also deny space off the ball. It does imply a higher work rate, simples.

Our problem is that we aren't very good when other teams press us, which is the other side of the equation....... We were awful at this under Harry, just no idea how to cope. This has to change, because its the key to possession.

Comment

Different season and squad to Redknapp so irrelevant comparison.

Personally don't think fitness is the problem it's desire we have lazy players it's evident everytime a team turn us around and get ball forward. Our players jog back opposition sprint

Comment

I believe our players would be better at the resting game.

Exactly West, that's the thing that really gets to me.

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                        Not really, because that legacy of a low pressure game, vulnerable to being pressed ourselves, continued until very recently. In fact, it was only when NW took charge that there were signs of change so that is something JFH will have to develop. And that attitude problem you mention does need dealing with. We need a bit of bad cop in the management mix.....

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post

Personally don't think fitness is the problem it's desire we have lazy players it's evident everytime a team turn us around and get ball forward. Our players jog back opposition sprint
                          Totally agree, whatever 'system' or style we are playing we don't work hard enough to get the ball back. A problem with Fer in particular. In general though, we do look heavier than other teams - and that's not just the hoops effect. We aren't quick enough around the pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Alanwycombe View Post
                            Totally agree, whatever 'system' or style we are playing we don't work hard enough to get the ball back. A problem with Fer in particular. In general though, we do look heavier than other teams - and that's not just the hoops effect. We aren't quick enough around the pitch.
                            You say this but he has still made 2 tackles every game and 1.8 interceptions so he has actually done more than most attacking midfielders in this league. He does look sluggish but he is actually getting involved more than people notice.
                            "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                              You say this but he has still made 2 tackles every game and 1.8 interceptions so he has actually done more than most attacking midfielders in this league. He does look sluggish but he is actually getting involved more than people notice.
                              Think Fer has this lackadaisical aura about him and comes across as very mellow and one of these players that looks slow and doesnt look like hes spritning anywhere.

Happy the stats back it up as i think he does far more than people give him credit for.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramsey is god View Post
                                Think Fer has this lackadaisical aura about him and comes across as very mellow and one of these players that looks slow and doesnt look like hes spritning anywhere.

Happy the stats back it up as i think he does far more than people give him credit for.
                                Definitely true here. He does absolutely come across being lackadaisical but he is no slouch for effort. He likes to get involved, opens himself up to the game but he just appears a yard off because he is a yard ahead of everyone else imo. He doesn't need to sprint about because he's already where he needs to be.
                                "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Working...
                                X