My week in Dubai with the QPR team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My week in Dubai with the QPR team

I was working last week in Dubai and to my big surprise found myself staying (with my family) in the same hotel as our team. Though I was working every day in daytime, I found myself having breakfast and sundowners with the team and bumbing into (stalking) QPR players and staff everywhere! I have to say that all players (even Bosingwa! see more below) appears very professonial and open to chatting/taking pictures and have certainly learned (or just naturally) comes accross as open and approachable.

I can make a longer up-date later, many small observations and conversations with players, but here are a few very subjective (non-scientific) points based on observing and chatting with quite a few players.

1. Team spirit. Maybe this is new-normal in big clubs, but the squad appears very fractioned. The true old-school "heroes" (Mackie, Hill, Derry) hang out together most of the time. This trip just underlined what I have felt all the time. These are players we can be proud off. You can speak to them, they appear honest and hard-working. I hope they stay when we go down, these are the once that can bring us up again and create the spine of team pulling in the same direction. I think Warnock has a point, he created a great and united dressing room. Hughes dismantled it and split it. The French speaking players (Samba, Remy, Taraabt, Traore etc.) seems to hang out together, and so does the Brasilian/Portuguise club (Cesar, Fabio, Bosingwa etc.). The two korean boy-scouts where first down for breakfast every morning and appeared isolated and very quite - even together. To make Park captain is one of the biggest jokes in life, you can see miles away he is not a leader and prefers to live life quitely far away from any problems. He might be a good and hard working pro, but not a leader. I don't think the new Korean speaks any English - or very little. Looked like Bothroyd, Jenas, Nedum, SWP stick a bit together, while Zamora seems to on his own...

2. Bosingwa. Keept an eye on this guy. Admit, I am very biased. I do like him. Been like that since we signed him. To much Chealsea, to much Russian noveau rich arrogance, to much Ronaldo attitude. He did not change my perception. Appears 10 times more arrogant off the pitch than on the pitch. What irritated me the most was that he appared to have a great time! At the pool, in the bar, with the girls etc. While no players seems to have wifes or girlfriends along, Bosingwa had those two great looking little brunette and blondine around him (see pictures). I do not know what happended on the training pitch, sure he has given his all like everyone else and how they recover from hard training I basically do not care. The team did leave early every day for training, but this guy did not look like someone that knows he needs to work his #### off to win back respect of team mates and supporters, maybe he does it with the blond bird at night time He really looked like enjoying his stay, together with the Brasilian camp. My Danish mates all week tried to talk me into "sorting him out", however being a family man, and having my two young sons + wife with me, I decided to go for a more behaved approach. Daddy being kicked out of the hotel (and into UAE jail) for offending a prof footballer of my favorite team might have looked a bid odd on my two sons... So I behaved. However, I told my story to a few players (no names), that my mates wanted me to give Boswinger a kick in the balls etc. They all just smiled Nobody actually tried to talk me out of it! The arrogant ***** certainly does not seem to have much sympathy and when I asked around (no names) why he was in the squad they appeared like a ?

3. No sign of Harry, think he stayed in a different hotel. Joe Jordan and other staff stayed there. All in all, really great experience to stay with the team. A big thank you to all (also Bosingwa) for being so approachable. I have probably been a big nuisance to them, taking hundrends of pics, but they all took it very nice/professionally.

NB: After seeing the players for "warm down" in the pool after training, my wife suddently became very interested. Samba in very tight Speedo's (!) did the job! I will up-load a few of her photoes too (maybe) !!

Best,
    Torben
    Attached Files

Please, for the love of god, dont upload pictures of Samba in speedos...
    Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
    Pawel Wszolek - 6
    Luke Freeman - 6
    Matt Smith - 6
    Ebere Eze - 4
    Joel Lynch - 3
    Tomer Hemed - 3
    Toni Leistner - 2
    Massimo Luongo- 2
    Angel Rangel - 2
    Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
    Geoff Cameron - 1
    Aramide Oteh - 1
    Jake Bidwell - 1
    Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Great post, more picspls!

Comment

Great read.

I think the team spirit has always been my worry...

I think in big clubs, big players seem separated. 'EGOs' Comes to mind....

We sadly inherited a lot of this...

Stoke dont have loads of big name players, and probably why the do so good is because they have a superb team spirit...

Comment

Good post that Torben- think the team spirit and various groups might be why we're struggling to look like a team.

Comment

Very interesting read.

Thanks for post.

Comment

Nice write up thanks Torben.
              I think there is a danger that people will translate the factions thing as being uncommon and/or evidence that there is a split in the camp. Is it not quite natural, even in close knit groups, that some people mix better with some than others? Even on here we have people that don't get on and disagree/see things differently but we all have the same common bond.
              #standuptocancer
              #inyourfacecancer

Comment

Originally posted by Bluehoop View Post
                Nice write up thanks Torben.
                I think there is a danger that people will translate the factions thing as being uncommon and/or evidence that there is a split in the camp. Is it not quite natural, even in close knit groups, that some people mix better with some than others? Even on here we have people that don't get on and disagree/see things differently but we all have the same common bond.
                My thoughts,

At the end of the day, did you see evidence that the team ARE NOT BONDING or DO NOT get along with each other...

Arguing? Tense? Moments of awkwardness?

In all fairness, Dezza, Hill and Mackie will naturally hang out together.

1. They get along - similar
                2. Long serving
                3. Down to earth and not overpaid.

Comment

good thread, any news on remy, was he training?
                  nsa/cia spy on this..............┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman34 View Post
                    good thread, any news on remy, was he training?
                    Dont think Remy will be playing on Saturday,

Comment

why no Harry ? very strange !! great post though thanks for the info fingers crossed this dubai trip has done some much needed magic, shame you could not have given the team the team talk we all want to give them
                      Dyslexic so please don't feel the need to correct my spelling mistakes as I really don't give a **** and before you say use spell checker if it is spelt right / wright but not in context spell check is useless

Comment

I really enjoyed reading that, thanks
                        Under Les Ferdinand:
                        Luke Freeman, top assists in the league: 4million
                        Alex Smithies, great goalie for this club: 3,5million
                        Charlie Austin, 19 Premier League goals: 4million
                        Jack Robinson: Contract ran out, left for free
                        And many more mistakes

LES FERDINAND, IT'S TIME TO GO

Comment

Did Samba have a proper weapon?

Comment

Definitely looks like a holiday to me and probably not the kind of pics the club will like being made public. Great post Torben!, lots of good insights.

Comment

See Bosingwa doesn't have the same prob with a sun lounger as he does with the subs bench

Comment

Working...
                              X