Have we the squad ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have we the squad ?

Can we cope with suspensions or a couple of injuries to the starting 11?
    how many do you think we should bring in, in January? Bassong would be one i would definitely go for , a front man?
    Do we need back up in midfield?

You can always improve, even Man Utd. All depends on how much kind Uncle Tony wants to throw at us. In an ideal world I could see us going for Basong or the Man City defender (Onouwa?), another midfielder (Watson would be cheap-ish, better still just about anyone from Spurs), and then a striker who can hold the ball up and score - they do exist (Kenwyne Jones, Santa Cruz, someone on loan from Chelsea?)

Comment

IMO, midfield is fine. Players like Puncheon, Smith, Dyer (when fit obviously!) & Buzz are very good cover for our midfield. Id say we certainly need a defender, Bassong would be great! Maybe another fullback as cover, although not desprate as we do have Conners and Orr, neither are brilliant but they are only back remember.

A striker may be, but we are forgetting that we do have DJ and Heidur, DJ is a goal scorer. Yes we may need to adapt formation (especially at home) to accomodate him (a whole nother topic of convo for another thread!) but he is there should we need him and he will get us goals. PLaying alongside Both or Heidur for flicks/hold up play could, IMO, be a very good strike force.
      You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
        You can always improve, even Man Utd. All depends on how much kind Uncle Tony wants to throw at us. In an ideal world I could see us going for Basong or the Man City defender (Onouwa?), another midfielder (Watson would be cheap-ish, better still just about anyone from Spurs), and then a striker who can hold the ball up and score - they do exist (Kenwyne Jones, Santa Cruz, someone on loan from Chelsea?)
        have to say I would certainly take all of those mentioned there!

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
          Do you think its a necessity to strengthen to survive?
          I think we are bound to get suspensions and injuries, so three in would be a minimum for me.

Comment

definately a striker! anelka on loan maybe!

Comment

Originally posted by winalotto View Post
              I think we are bound to get suspensions and injuries, so three in would be a minimum for me.
              I think we'll survive on the squad we have now tbh. But obviously a few additions would certainly improve our chances!

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post
                IMO, midfield is fine. Players like Puncheon, Smith, Dyer (when fit obviously!) & Buzz are very good cover for our midfield. Id say we certainly need a defender, Bassong would be great! Maybe another fullback as cover, although not desprate as we do have Conners and Orr, neither are brilliant but they are only back remember.

A striker may be, but we are forgetting that we do have DJ and Heidur, DJ is a goal scorer. Yes we may need to adapt formation (especially at home) to accomodate him (a whole nother topic of convo for another thread!) but he is there should we need him and he will get us goals. PLaying alongside Both or Heidur for flicks/hold up play could, IMO, be a very good strike force.
                If we relied on Buzz, Smith,Puncheon, Helgusson would they have enough to keep us in this league? Not being all negative , but i do see a weakness if we were to lose certain players, these players are all good to have come off the bench but to start week in week out?

Comment

If we relied on Buzz, Smith,Puncheon, Helgusson would they have enough to keep us in this league? Not being all negative , but i do see a weakness if we were to lose certain players, these players are all good to have come off the bench but to start week in week out?
                  No but we dont have to , theyre not even starting games. My point is as the occasional backup, they would certainly do a job. Ie, If/when Barton gets his 5 yellows and misses a game, Buzz will easily be able to cope with slotting into his position for a game. Also, if SWP gets injured, Im sure Punch or Smith will do a job out wide. Granted not going to be as good, but they will do a job for a certain time. Its highly unlikely they will ever play in the same side, so IMO, your last sentance is pointless. Would have been like saying last year if Man Utd replied upon Brown, Evans, Oshea and Fabio at the back they wouldn't have won the league... those players filled in as and when required and done a job.

But i do see your general point that a few injuries and we could be exposed, and agree we will need a couple/few additions in January just to plug a few squad gaps that may prove weak areas for us should injurie/suspensions start racking up.
                  Last edited by MattyRangers; 27-09-2011, 12:30 PM.

Comment

A striker and a full back will be brought in at the very least,think Fernandes will tell Neil to bring in what he needs

Comment

No but we dont have to , theyre not even starting games. My point is as the occasional backup, they would certainly do a job. Ie, If/when Barton gets his 5 yellows and misses a game, Buzz will easily be able to cope with slotting into his position for a game. Also, if SWP gets injured, Im sure Punch or Smith will do a job out wide. Granted not going to be as good, but they will do a job for a certain time. Its highly unlikely they will ever play in the same side, so IMO, your last sentance is pointless. Would have been like saying last year if Man Utd replied upon Brown, Evans, Oshea and Fabio at the back they wouldn't have won the league... those players filled in as and when required and done a job.

But i do see your general point that a few injuries and we could be exposed, and agree we will need a couple/few additions in January just to plug a few squad gaps that may prove weak areas for us should injurie/suspensions start racking up.
                      I see your point to, re.. the Man Utd situation, but im not talking about winning the prem league, im talking about surviving in it. And i think thats a completely differant scenario.

Comment

I see your point to, re.. the Man Utd situation, but im not talking about winning the prem league, im talking about surviving in it. And i think thats a completely differant scenario.
                        Its the exact same, its all relative; ie their backup players were good enough to "fill in" for a League winning side, and ours in question (Buzz Smith etc) are good enough to "fill in" for a surviving PL side.

Comment

Its the exact same, its all relative; ie their backup players were good enough to "fill in" for a League winning side, and ours in question (Buzz Smith etc) are good enough to "fill in" for a surviving PL side.
                          Sorry mate , we will have to agree to disagree, because to me they are to totally different situations. Sure there's massive pressure on those teams challenging for the title, but ask anyone in football were the real pressure is, its fighting for survival, and that would also come into play re back up players.

Comment

Sorry mate , we will have to agree to disagree, because to me they are to totally different situations. Sure there's massive pressure on those teams challenging for the title, but ask anyone in football were the real pressure is, its fighting for survival, and that would also come into play re back up players.
                            fair play mate

Comment

If survival is the only aim then I would say with the current squad we have about a 75% chance of survival. So in other words if Tony decides he has spent enough still think we are in with a good chance of survival. If he wants to increase those chances think we will prob need another striker (Jay does everything very well but score goals, DJ scores goals but doesn't do the other things very well that we need). Also saw the first signs of fatigue from Derry on Sun, and not sure we can just assume he will last the season. Not sure Buz is a suitable replacement, though could play Barton deep and Buz in the hole. And finally I think at centre back we have only come up against relatively weak strikers so far (poss Kevin Davis aside) so think the jury is out till Jan on whether we have enough at the centre of defence. Have no worries about any other positions.

Comment

Working...
                              X