Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should each country have its own rules of football?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should each country have its own rules of football?

I see that Holloway is upset that FIFA decides the rules of football, which all members of FIFA are obliged to comply with, including England:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...dball-18976856

FIFA is admittedly like EU. All members come together to decide the rules of the game. In the case of FIFA obviously for how the rules of football should be and in the case of EU how the rules of the common market should be, to ensure free movement of goods, services, capital and people. The alternative is a system where all countries decide its own rules and sort it out between themselves in a bilateral way when they play each other or when they trade with each other.

So if Holloway gets his way and FA can decide the rules of football in UK, the German FA in Germany, the French FA in France and so on, how should we do it when national teams or clubs in different nations play each other? Should we follow the rules of the host country? Or should there be one set of rules for domestic matches and another set of rules just applicable for international matches?

If each country had their own handball rules, offside rules, their own rules for penalties, for size of the pitch, for the width and height of the goal, for number of players and subs, for length of play, for suspensions, for you name it - wouldn't it be very complicated ones any international match took place? Could players and referees easily adapt to different sets of rules?

I know Holloway does not like that all members of FIFA come together to agree the rules, in which case England has to oblige even if they are in minority. But isn't this a case of giving up something to gain more?

Football is made up of hundreds of rules. The handball rule has always been a difficult one and it has constantly been changing and I think it is hard to please everyone. Same apply for some other rules - not at least Financial Fair Play. But should we give up the idea of some common rules for our game with all complications this would lead to for some sovereignty in the area of handball rules and some few other rules where we don't agree with all the other nations?

It seems to be extremely similar to the EU debate, with exactly the same dilemma of common vs. national rules as Holloway has pointed out. Should we agree rules with our 27 neighbors in the case of EU with the advantage of a common market or should we have the freedom to make our own trade rules, which would avoid the need of making international compromises that seems annoying every now and then, but with the advantage of a well functional market and friction-less trade. Actually, Holloway's statement is a bloody good simplification of the entire Brexit debate. If you think Brexit is a good idea you should agree with Holloway and support own footballing rules for Britain and other nations with no common body to decide them.
    Last edited by QPROslo; 21-08-2019, 09:10 PM.

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post
    I see that Holloway is upset that FIFA decides the rules of football, which all members of FIFA are obliged to comply with, including England:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...dball-18976856

FIFA is admittedly like EU. All members come together to decide the rules of the game. In the case of FIFA obviously for how the rules of football should be and in the case of EU how the rules of the common market should be, to ensure free movement of goods, services, capital and people. The alternative is a system where all countries decide its own rules and sort it out between themselves in a bilateral way when they play each other or when they trade with each other.

So if Holloway gets his way and FA can decide the rules of football in UK, the German FA in Germany, the French FA in France and so on, how should we do it when national teams or clubs in different nations play each other? Should we follow the rules of the host country? Or should there be one set of rules for domestic matches and another set of rules just applicable for international matches?

If each country had their own handball rules, offside rules, their own rules for penalties, for size of the pitch, for the width and height of the goal, for number of players and subs, for length of play, for suspensions, for you name it - wouldn't it be very complicated ones any international match took place? Could players and referees easily adapt to different sets of rules?

I know Holloway does not like that all members of FIFA come together to agree the rules, in which case England has to oblige even if they are in minority. But isn't this a case of giving up something to gain more?

Football is made up of hundreds of rules. The handball rule has always been a difficult one and it has constantly been changing and I think it is hard to please everyone. Same apply for some other rules - not at least Financial Fair Play. But should we give up the idea of some common rules for our game with all complications this would lead to for some sovereignty in the area of handball rules and some few other rules where we don't agree with all the other nations?

It seems to be extremely similar to the EU debate, with exactly the same dilemma of common vs. national rules as Holloway has pointed out. Should we agree rules with our 27 neighbors in the case of EU with the advantage of a common market or should we have the freedom to make our own trade rules, which would avoid the need of making international compromises that seems annoying every now and then, but with the advantage of a well functional market and friction-less trade. Actually, Holloway's statement is a bloody good simplification of the entire Brexit debate. If you think Brexit is a good idea you should agree with Holloway and support own footballing rules for Britain and other nations with no common body to decide them.
    Wouldn't it make playing international matches a tad problematic?

Comment

Is this worth even considering?

Comment

I don't think it would work.

Comment

Historically, refs across the world have applied laws differently. Took British clubs years to cotton onto fact that continental refs would call a foul for a raised foot, even just inches off the ground. To me, a bicycle kick is ludicrously dangerous, you get boots whizzing inches past someone's gob, yet refs let them go. Basically, there is enough leeway to let subtle idiosyncrasies take place across football leagues.
          I believe its TV and media like TalkSport that are the problem..... endlessly replaying things in slo-mo and dissecting play to Nth degree. They are the factors/influencers driving the game down a blind alley, not FIFA.

Comment

Agree 100% about the slo mos etc. The pundits sit in the studio watch it a thousand times and still disagree - what chance does the ref have? What strikes me more about the rule changes is what "mischief" are they trying to fix? I saw some passing around of goal kicks inside the area on Wednesday night - who was crying out for that change??

So, as is not surprising, Holloway is wrong about FIFA making up the rules. According to my friend Mr Wikipedia, the International Football Association Board (IFAB), founded in 1886 to agree standardised Laws for international competition, has since acted as the "guardian" of the internationally used Laws. FIFA has recognised IFAB's jurisdiction over the Laws since 1904.

http://www.theifab.com/home

IFAB is made up of representatives from each of the United Kingdom's pioneering football associations— the FA, the SFA, the FAW and Northern Ireland's (IFA), plus FIFA. Each UK FA has one vote each (so totaling 4) and FIFA also has 4. New laws require at least 6 votes, so FIFA's approval is necessary for any IFAB decision, but FIFA alone cannot change the Laws of the Game—they need to be agreed by at least two of the UK members.

Even if Holloway was right, maybe it helps to have someone bigger, even unrepresentative, to make the rules, as they can be less likely to cave in to local interests - FIFA/UEFA might be less influenced by what the big teams want to do to keep themselves as the big teams. Not much sign of it admittedly, but at least in theory - like the EU fining Microsoft and telling Apple to pay billions in tax, or the EU regulators forcing the mobile phone companies to scrap EU roaming charges - single countries/local politicians would never do that for fear of jobs being taken away from their country/electorate...

Comment

Working...
            X