McClaren: Stick or Twist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
    I think it's spelt Shhhtick.... In Mr McClaren we trust. Frankly we should be more worried about him getting poached from us by a richer club rather than this facile debate about do we want him. Of course we flipping well do!
    Yeah.....maybe West Brom are coming in for him. The 4 points out of the last 30 must’ have convinced them!

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post

That's simply not correct.

We replaced Mackie, Washington and Sylla with Wells and Hemed and has Eze for a full season. That's an improvement on paper.
      We kept all midfielders and added Cameron. That's an improvement.
      We replaced Onuoha, Robinson and Perch with Leinstner, Rangel and a return of Hall. That's pretty much the same. A good example is Baptiste. He had to play a lot last year, but is not deemed good enough by McClaren.
      We replaced Smithies with Lumley. Smithies is better, but Lumley has not been the problem this year.

Holloway improved from 2016/17 to 2017/18 - from 21st to 16th, and from marginally beating relegation to beating it by a margin of 15 points. We were never very close to relegation (nor are we this year).

I would not like to change McClaren. His job is to keep us up and he will. The team isn't much better than low mid table. But McClaren is clearly not an improvement over Holloway. No reason to assume Holloway wouldn't continue where he left off, taking us a small new step up the table.

If there is one man to trust with a small budget it must be Holloway. McClaren spent most of the money on experienced loan signings. Holloway spent a good part of the budget on prospects we can sell on. Some worked out (Freeman, BOS, Smyth), some flopped (Goss, Wheeler) and some were decent squad players (Scowen, Smith, Baptiste) but all in all he didn't have much more to spend on signings, loans fees and salaries on new signings than McClaren.

Holloway were braver in playing youngsters, while McClaren is dependent on his experienced loan and short term signing. See how we do when Cameron and Rangel are out!

There is no reason to shoot McClaren, but attacking Holloway, who brought us 56 points last year is simply not fair. More than anything, this season has proved to us Holloway was quite all right.
      Cracking post brother oslo, me oslo & brother sheep took some pelters on here, mobbed at times and now its showing it was unjustified mobbing.
      http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

Originally posted by Northolt_Rs View Post

Yeah.....maybe West Brom are coming in for him. The 4 points out of the last 30 must’ have convinced them!
        Honestly think abs must be on a winde up really

Comment

Stick ,he isn't doing too bad with a very limited squad

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkie View Post

Cracking post brother oslo, me oslo & brother sheep took some pelters on here, mobbed at times and now its showing it was unjustified mobbing.
            Yes, brother

I hear these posters saying SM is doing well with a limited squad. Oh behave, this is a far better squad than Olly had. If the idea was to progress the youth then SM has failed and he was brought in as some sort of coaching messiah! That has failed, he shipped them out and brought in old has beens. So we move back to the premier days. All the work Olly did has been wasted.

I was disgusted by the sacking of Olly. It's a shame that we didn't learn from past errors in thinking ageing players would be our saviors.

What is the plan for next year - youth? In which case SM the legendary coaching expert will probably bail, to find another club that probably pays twice as much as Olly

Comment

People need to start understanding that it’s the players that are s.hite not the managers. Luongo for example I’ve got mates who rave about him in my eyes he’s very average. Has few good games a season other than that has zero quality on the ball put in a few good tackles here and there and that’s pretty much it

Comment

Originally posted by Fordy View Post
                People need to start understanding that it’s the players that are s.hite not the managers. Luongo for example I’ve got mates who rave about him in my eyes he’s very average. Has few good games a season other than that has zero quality on the ball put in a few good tackles here and there and that’s pretty much it
                Agreed.
                What we need to do is bring in a manager that is know throughout the world as a coaching expert. This will take our players to a new level that some old has been just couldn't do.

Comment

Goto agree with you about luongo, today for me he was one of our problems as was more just a defensive midfielder when we've scowen to do that side of things, plus wells and hemed didnt do enough aswell movement wise, but it was like we was playing with two defensive midfielders, id of had 1 and had freeman in the attacking mid role and had bos or shods on from the start on the left instead

Comment

I think we have developed a weird element among our fanbase who just can't help themselves but hype up our players beyond ridiculous lengths.

Eze is one of the best young prospects outside the Premier League and we shouldn't accept less than £15m for him.

We have a Golden Generation of youngsters at the moment.

Luongo will be targeted by the big clubs and we should accept nothing less than £15-20m

And on and on and on...

How we came like this is a complete mystery but it's a big problem because it affects expectations.

We are a poor team who are relegation candidates for a reason. We're crap.

No more, no less.

​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Clapton is God View Post

I think we have developed a weird element among our fanbase who just can't help themselves but hype up our players beyond ridiculous lengths.

Eze is one of the best young prospects outside the Premier League and we shouldn't accept less than £15m for him.

We have a Golden Generation of youngsters at the moment.

Luongo will be targeted by the big clubs and we should accept nothing less than £15-20m

And on and on and on...

How we came like this is a complete mystery but it's a big problem because it affects expectations.

We are a poor team who are relegation candidates for a reason. We're crap.

No more, no less.

​​​​​
                      Unfortunately I think you are spot on. We have poor players who are hopelessly overhyped - Eze being the perfect example. Plus we have a £42m FFP penalty which we all just know won’t happen to any other club... Bungle has stepped back from the chairman role but the damage under his disastrous tenure has already been done. What quality manager is going to want to join a club in our miserable situation? If SM isn’t the answer - and this season suggests he most definitely isn’t - then who is? I doubt we’ll get Pep turning up anytime soon....

Comment

Mac has been given two high end championship level strikers this season along with two experienced players that were regulars in prem teams for the best part of the last decade so I'm not sure how it can be said the squad is weaker compared to last season. If anything that says a lot about the boards confidence in the new guy early on that they needed to parachute those four players in whereas there wasn't really that sort of panic with Oli.

​​​​​​It's likely to be the case that next season will see a weaker squad than under Oli, so the question is - can Mac be trusted to get the best out of them?...

Comment

Originally posted by Northolt_Rs View Post

Unfortunately I think you are spot on. We have poor players who are hopelessly overhyped - Eze being the perfect example. Plus we have a £42m FFP penalty which we all just know won’t happen to any other club... Bungle has stepped back from the chairman role but the damage under his disastrous tenure has already been done. What quality manager is going to want to join a club in our miserable situation? If SM isn’t the answer - and this season suggests he most definitely isn’t - then who is? I doubt we’ll get Pep turning up anytime soon....
                          You make it sound like a hopeless irredeemable situation.

Perhaps it is!

But time will tell, with talented youngsters coming through there must be a glimmer of hope surely?

Comment

Originally posted by Clapton is God View Post
                            Stick.

There seems to be a rather bizarre feeling among a section of our support that this side could do better.

McClaren may have proved himself at the end of the season by keeping us up.
                            Spot on.

I read most of the posts on here, and truly wonder if some of the posters know anything at all about football... and Q.P.R.

With a £42 million fine, no ability to transfer, and to keep us up after the start of the season (and to play with some energy and intent for the most part) would have seemed impossible.

Keep.

And back 100%.

Comment

We made our bed now lay in it - stick

But I suspect he will walk in the summer because we are not good enough for him and he may not be up for the fight. If the squad weakens next season he won't a relegation on his CV and will head for the doors quickly.

Comment

Keep cos there aint no one else who can do better. If SM is willing to fight it out for us to better times then we should appreciate him.

Comment

Working...
                                X