Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As it stands today does anyone expect us to stay up..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greg1882 View Post
    #### me there are some precious little darlings on here. Get a grip ffs. How about giving the club some time to get a couple in. I know they’ve had three whole days of training now but maybe a little longer eh? Most contracts run to the end of June so expect us to do some business after that. It’s so boring having this #### fit every pre season. We weren’t even close to being relegated last year and that’s with an absolute clown in charge
    'We weren’t even close to being relegated last year'

On 24th February we lost at home 5-2 against Nottingham Forest who had lost their previous 5 games and hadn't scored in 8 of their last 10.

We were on a run of just 2 wins in 7 matches, were 9 points off the last relegation place, had won just once away in the league and according to some bookies, were the 5th - 6th favorites to be relegated. It could be argued that a 4 match unbeaten run in March was the difference between us staying up and being relegated.

Now, if in February - 6 months into a 9 month season - you are still being suggested as genuine relegation candidates that's not a good sign. Neither is it a good sign that - with a stronger squad than we have at the moment - we lost 5 of the last 8 games.

So, no-one needs to 'get a grip'. We were poor for most of last season and, as things stand at the moment, have a weakened squad whilst many of our rivals in the relegation battle last year - and we were in one for most of the season - have improved theirs. Yes, we have improved our manager but he's not got a flawless record: in fact, it's a bit tarnished.

If we have a couple of signings lined up then I, along with many others, will revise our position. However, at the moment it is illogical, irrational and ludicrous to suggest that we have anything but a tough season ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by OldR View Post

'We weren’t even close to being relegated last year'

On 24th February we lost at home 5-2 against Nottingham Forest who had lost their previous 5 games and hadn't scored in 8 of their last 10.

We were on a run of just 2 wins in 7 matches, were 9 points off the last relegation place, had won just once away in the league and according to some bookies, were the 5th - 6th favorites to be relegated. It could be argued that a 4 match unbeaten run in March was the difference between us staying up and being relegated.

Now, if in February - 6 months into a 9 month season - you are still being suggested as genuine relegation candidates that's not a good sign. Neither is it a good sign that - with a stronger squad than we have at the moment - we lost 5 of the last 8 games.

So, no-one needs to 'get a grip'. We were poor for most of last season and, as things stand at the moment, have a weakened squad whilst many of our rivals in the relegation battle last year - and we were in one for most of the season - have improved theirs. Yes, we have improved our manager but he's not got a flawless record: in fact, it's a bit tarnished.

If we have a couple of signings lined up then I, along with many others, will revise our position. However, at the moment it is illogical, irrational and ludicrous to suggest that we have anything but a tough season ahead.
      The At the moment bit you refer to is more illogical and irrational. We are a few days into pre season and there is plenty of time to bring players in so painting a picture of doom and gloom at this stage is laughable.
      You have no idea what plans the club is making and are basing your assumption on the one tiny scrap of fact you do have, that some players have left.

“He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long”
      Will Danaher

Comment

Originally posted by Itsonlyagame View Post

The At the moment bit you refer to is more illogical and irrational. We are a few days into pre season and there is plenty of time to bring players in so painting a picture of doom and gloom at this stage is laughable.
        You have no idea what plans the club is making and are basing your assumption on the one tiny scrap of fact you do have, that some players have left.
        How is saying that we are a weakened squad 'at the moment' illogical and irrational? It is an undeniable fact.

We may sign players - we may even surpass everyone's expectations and sign players who will make us go 'wow' - but at the moment we haven't. If the season was to start tomorrow we'd be among the favourites to be relegated.

To suggest that we're not a weakened squad as at 14:00 on Wednesday, 27th June 2018 than we were at the moment the final whistle went at Elland Road back in May is, as I said, ludicrous.

Comment

We were poor for most of last season and, as things stand at the moment, have a weakened squad whilst many of our rivals in the relegation battle last year - and we were in one for most of the season - have improved theirs..
          Reading must have been shocking if John O'Shea is an improvement...

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post

Reading must have been shocking if John O'Shea is an improvement...
            How much game time he'll get is debatable but he will bring a lot of experience into the dressing room and set up.

Regardless, he is still an addition to their squad whereas we have lost 2 of our first choice defenders.

Comment

How is saying that we are a weakened squad 'at the moment' illogical and irrational? It is an undeniable fact.

We may sign players - we may even surpass everyone's expectations and sign players who will make us go 'wow' - but at the moment we haven't. If the season was to start tomorrow we'd be among the favourites to be relegated.

To suggest that we're not a weakened squad as at 14:00 on Wednesday, 27th June 2018 than we were at the moment the final whistle went at Elland Road back in May is, as I said, ludicrous.
              Your right.
              Some people can enjoy analysing our predicted finish next season on a day by day basis, or even hour by hour if that’s their bag.
              The rest of us will assess what our chances are when it really counts, after a few games and once the transfer window is shut.
              Either way the outcome will be the same, we just won’t have wasted two months of our lives stressing about something we have no control over and that may never happen anyway.
              Will Danaher

Comment

Your right.
                Some people can enjoy analysing our predicted finish next season on a day by day basis, or even hour by hour if that’s their bag.
                The rest of us will assess what our chances are when it really counts, after a few games and once the transfer window is shut.
                Either way the outcome will be the same, we just won’t have wasted two months of our lives stressing about something we have no control over and that may never happen anyway.
                I'm not stressing.

I honestly don't care if we're in the Championship or League One in 2019 or even in The National League 2 years later. What is yet to be unfolded is yet to be revealed and none of us are speaking with any authority, just opinions which, for the most part, are neither right or wrong but just opinions. However, if people want to argue against the fact that we clearly need to bring in a few players to replicated the 'success' we 'enjoyed' last season because, as things stand, we're a weakened squad, then that's wrong.

Comment

I'm not stressing.

I honestly don't care if we're in the Championship or League One in 2019 or even in The National League 2 years later. What is yet to be unfolded is yet to be revealed and none of us are speaking with any authority, just opinions which, for the most part, are neither right or wrong but just opinions. However, if people want to argue against the fact that we clearly need to bring in a few players to replicated the 'success' we 'enjoyed' last season because, as things stand, we're a weakened squad, then that's wrong.
                  There is one thing we do agree on We definitely need a few additions, I suppose I’m assuming, maybe naively, that we will get some.
                  Will Danaher

Comment

There is one thing we do agree on We definitely need a few additions, I suppose I’m assuming, maybe naively, that we will get some.
                    I'm assuming that we're looking for replacements and have been for sometime and haven't been caught completely off-guard with this!

Comment

I'm assuming that we're looking for replacements and have been for sometime and haven't been caught completely off-guard with this!
                      If we don’t get any I’ll be as fuked off as the next man and think we could well struggle. I’m just refusing to go there at the moment, it’s too depressing.
                      Will Danaher

Comment

If we don’t get any I’ll be as fuked off as the next man and think we could well struggle. I’m just refusing to go there at the moment, it’s too depressing.
                        I'll be amazed if we don't bring in at least 3 players this window.

Comment

Fully expect a couple in as soon as Cardiff have sent the money.

Comment

Originally posted by davieqpr View Post
                            Fully expect a couple in as soon as Cardiff have sent the money.
                            Even before that mate. In my opinion the club has learnt its lesson and has showed that to be fair over the last couple of seasons. Contracts end in a few days and players will become available. There will be others in the same boat as us with players running down their contracts. Scowen was a freebie was he not? I think a lot of people have been angered by the figure given for smithies but who knows what goes on behind closed doors? If he wants to go then there isn’t much we can do. He could run his contract down and walk out the door for free, he’s also in my opinion earnt the chance to have a go at the prem. I just have a lot more faith in the club now than I have had previously to get it right and until they give me reason to think otherwise that’s the way it will stay. Hopefully bring a couple in with the smithies money.

Comment

Comment

I'm actually hoping we don't sign too many players. Yeah we have to replace the defenders we've just lost and probably Smithies, maybe a new cf, but I'm actually looking forward to seeing some of our youngsters give it a go right from the start, and under a sane, mentally stable coach that hopefully will be able to improve them.
                                If that means not going up for another season then so be it IMO, and I don't think we'll be too far away, hoping for top 10 or very close to it

Comment

Working...
                                X