Spurs Fans view of Sherwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spurs Fans view of Sherwood

First I should give the obvious caveat: this is just the opinion of one fan. Some Spurs fans like Tim Sherwood a lot. I think those fans tend to be less intelligent but of course I think that. This is just my opinion and a lot of it is based on conclusions and rumor. I wasnt in the dressing room and I have no sources. Im just a guy who watched every game of the Sherwood era and followed the team closely on the internet by way of articles, message boards and twitter.

With all of those caveats in place, Tim Sherwood will get you relegated.

The first place you start with Tim Sherwood is he is a tactical dunce. Its not that he has bad tactics its that he generally seemed to lack any tactics at all. First off he took a Spurs team that had been built to play a 4231 possession based game and switched them to a 442. This wasnt that big a deal since the previous system had grown beyond stale. The problem was that his teams nearly always went on the pitch with seemingly no plan at all. This is difficult to quantify but as someone who watched every game all season, under Sherwood Spurs would go out on the pitch with no idea of what the plan was and sputter around for a while. The team scored one goal in the first 15 minutes of a game in Sherwoods era and that was the last game of the season.

The pattern of basically every game was this: Spurs went out there with no plan and if they were playing a good side went down early and never came back. If they were playing a poor side, they treaded water for 20 or 25 minutes until the players figured it out themselves and won the game through sheer talent. Every game was a just go run around a bit which worked when the opponent was bad. The best example was when Spurs went down 3-0 to West Brom in the first 20 minutes and ended up getting a 3-3 draw that they would have won if Adebayor had converted a penalty. The home game vs Arsenal was the only game I recall where the team came onto the pitch with some semblance of a plan. They played well in that game and lost despite being the better side that day.

Beyond the team looking disorganized on a weekly basis the team selection was routinely bizarre. The selection followed a very consistent pattern:if the team had won the previous match Sherwood put out an identical team, if the team had lost the previous match Sherwood put out a completely new configuration and changed things around until it stuck. At one point this led to Spurs best player Eriksen being dropped because he had missed a game that Spurs won and therefore couldnt get back in until the team lost. Sherwood's team selections gave the impression that he had no idea why the things that worked were effective, so he just stuck with it until it stopped working. He seemed to lack the ability to analyze what individual players could offer. Sherwood also played a high line with no pressing, the most suicidal way to organize a defense imaginable.

More than that Sherwood's selections featured frankly bizarre choices. The nadir was when Sherwood chose the most difficult fixture on the schedule (away to Chelsea) to start fullback Kyle Walker as an attacking midfielder a position he had never played in his life. Sherwood started winger/striker Nacer Chadli in the pivot as a deep lying playmaker. He consistently pushed Eriksen out to the wing for no discernible reason. At one point he played Aaron Lennon in the center of the park, when Lennon is a player whose only positive attributes are pace and width. He refused to play a healthy Sandro and played Ettiene Capoue at centerback because he said he didnt believe in the concept of a holding midfielder. He once started a four man midfield with eriksen on the wing. His choices were like a game every week where you looked at the team sheet and tried to discern what possible formation this gaggle of players could be arranged in. It was like madlibs.

Now a manager doesnt have to be a tactical genius to win games. Lord know Redknapp wasnt and he won quite a bit at Spurs. Sherwood seemed to lack any sort of man management skills though. Now we do enter into conjecture here but as someone who followed the team closely I think my conclusions are fair. Suffice to say the team hated him. An interview with Christian Eriksen and Harry Kane is on youtube where they were asked what they liked about Sherwood and Eriksen stared at the interviewer seemingly dumbfounded at the question and offered absolutely nothing about him he liked. Sandro who was the absolute rock of the dressing room clashed publicly with him. Jan Vertonghen couldnt be bothered to hide his disdain for the man. There were rumors about multiple players telling Daniel Levy they would demand transfers if Sherwood was brought back. Capoue publicly complained about how Sherwood was another example of how tactically clueless English managers are.

More than anything the players seemed to simply not respect the man. The impression you got was whenever Sherwood talked the players were making ####ing motions behind his back. Its hard to blame them. He had no plan, he was a man prone to screaming fits of rage but without the gravitas or credentials to make that count for something. He frequently threw his players under the bus in public, took credit when things went well, and passed blame when they went poorly. He engaged in bizarre behavior such as kicking a ball at an opposing manager and taking a phone call in the middle of the team being shitkicked by Liverpool (while comically trying to hide the phone as if people wouldnt be able to tell what he was doing).

Overall, Sherwood was a disaster of a manager who actually had a solid record. How did he do this? By throwing a very talented squad on the pitch and letting them run around. Spurs beat the teams they had more talent then and got destroyed by the teams they didnt. Under Sherwood Spurs scored a single goal vs chelsea, City, arsenal, and Liverpool while allowing 13. He also had a solid record by making three actually astute moves while in charge.

First Sherwood restored Adebayor to the team who immediately went on a tear and was a world beater for two months. Adebayor had been completely ostracized by AVB (who sucked at man management) and Sherwood restored him to the team. Motivated and grateful to Sherwood Adebayor went on a tremendous run of form. The other positives were Sherwood gave first team minutes to Harry Kane and Nabil Bentaleb. Both of these moves worked out splendidly with the two talented youngsters breaking into the squad and making a positive impact. This is by far the most positive part of Sherwood's legacy at Spurs. Adebayor, Kane, and Bentaleb seemed to be the only players who liked Sherwood for obvious reasons.

Overall, Sherwood was an excellent youth team manager whose best contribution to the club was integrating young players into the side. Forgive me if I am just ignorant of QPR but I dont think you guys have any highly thought of youth players ready to contribute who Redknapp has been refusing to give a chance to?

Too long, didnt read, Sherwood at QPR would #### off your veterans who wont respect him, offer nothing tactically, and not be saved by a talented squad or promising youth players. Sherwood has nothing to offer QPR. He will get you relegated.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, it sounds like it could be more of the same if he gets the job, maybe he has changed his ways as a manager, we can only hope as I think he is the favourite!
    @gatorTFC

Comment

Yeah but he will look good in a QPR Gilet.
      C'Mon You Supaaaa!!

Comment

Are you a foreign spurs fan who watches the games on the internet or a season ticket holder/ game attender?

Comment

pretty much how i feel about appointing this no mark. would be a lazy appointment if shatwood signs for us.
          nsa/cia spy on this..............┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Re: OP: Well, as you say, that is the opinion of one fan and many others think differently. I take quite a few positives from what you say. I think we are hiring for the future with the hope that we will stay up, rather than taking the short term view of just trying to bring in somebody who will keep us up. Sherwood's involvement with younger players at Spurs seems to hit the sweet spot in that regard. Also, the fact he had a decent record at Spurs is impressive, given how hopeless you think he was at man management and tactics, surely two of the most important ways a manager can influence a team. If he ever improved in those areas it seems as though he would be excellent.

After reading what you have written, my opinion of Sherwood has not changed much: I still think he would be a decent signing for us. If we go down this season it won't be the end of the world.
            'Only a Ranger!' cried Gandalf. 'My dear Frodo, that is just what the Rangers are: the last remnant in the South of the great people, the Men of West London.' - Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter I - Many Meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by dsqpr View Post
              Re: OP: Well, as you say, that is the opinion of one fan and many others think differently. I take quite a few positives from what you say. I think we are hiring for the future with the hope that we will stay up, rather than taking the short term view of just trying to bring in somebody who will keep us up. Sherwood's involvement with younger players at Spurs seems to hit the sweet spot in that regard. Also, the fact he had a decent record at Spurs is impressive, given how hopeless you think he was at man management and tactics, surely two of the most important ways a manager can influence a team. If he ever improved in those areas it seems as though he would be excellent.

After reading what you have written, my opinion of Sherwood has not changed much: I still think he would be a decent signing for us. If we go down this season it won't be the end of the world.
              You still think he would be a decent signing for us? What do you base that opinion on? Have you spoken to people in the game, or spent a bit of time watching Spurs matches and analysed what he did? Have you even spoken to him to find out what he may be like?

You're saying he had a decent record at Spurs despite the evidence which shows it was worse than AVB. He's spent 5 months as a manager and been out of work for 8. If he's as good as you've suggested, why haven't other clubs signed him up? Ask yourself why Levy got rid. If he's that good, why was he sacked? I don't hold with Shania's view that Spurs wanted a name.

I respect the fact you would like the man as our next manager, but I'd ask you to ask some questions about him.
              Supporting QPR isn't just about a football team. It's about roots and identity.

Comment

Playing players out of position, no tactical nous, sounds familiar!

Comment

Originally posted by The Legendary No. 10 View Post
                  Playing players out of position, no tactical nous, sounds familiar!
                  He was trained by the master,lol only kidding. Most young managers mess up there first appointment, that said, I would like Clement, or McClaren with Sherwood developing the youth set up with C Ramsey.
                  Kept the faith!

Comment

Pinch of salt.

Bit like when we got Harry & everyone said what a great appointment. Fantastic man manager etc.

That turned out well. QPR are not Spurs. I'll judge him on his performance if & when he gets the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Rabbit View Post
                      Pinch of salt.

Bit like when we got Harry & everyone said what a great appointment. Fantastic man manager etc.

That turned out well. QPR are not Spurs. I'll judge him on his performance if & when he gets the job.
                      Best time to do it!!
                      My old man was the star player for HMP Parkhurst during their successful and unbeaten 77/78 season.

Comment

Originally posted by WCE View Post
                        Best time to do it!!
                        I would of thought so.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnside View Post
                          Are you a foreign spurs fan who watches the games on the internet or a season ticket holder/ game attender?
                          Golan heights posse.
                          PRIDE OF LONDON.

Comment

If you take out his 6 Cup matches...Tim Sherwood's 22 league games in charge of Spurs made him the best win % manager at Spurs...apart from Frank Brettell in 1898.

If we have same win % in our last 15 games or so...that would be enough to keep us up.

If you believe in Stats, Tim Sherwood could keep us up.
                            If you don't believe in Stats....anything could happen.

Truth is - who ever we bring in now, is going to have a massive job keeping us up.

Comment

I remember the spat with Sandro. I believe what the poster has said overall. His post must have taken a long time to write, he reads the game well, and it is a very detailed observation of Sherwood. He fell out with the players in a very short space of time. And that's the kiss of death for any team.

We were warned about Harry too from spurs fans. But the warnings weren't as detailed as the OP here so most of us ignored it. Quite a few here had reservations at the time and said so. It's easier to get results if you're taking over a good team already. I'm sure most of us saw something not quite right in Sherwood when watching him on MOTD.

So great post Hyne, we have been warned well. Thank you for going out of your way to enlighten us.

Comment

Working...
                              X