The central backs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The central backs.

When we started our mini-revival after the defeat at West Ham, some changes were made to the side that made a big difference. Rio and Traore were dropped and even the 3-5-2 system was put aside. After the defeat to Burnley we are again in that same position. We need to make some changes. It must start by dropping either Dunne or Caulker and put in Rio and Ned. Mutch must be given a run in the side. He couldn't become a bad player overnight. The central defenders were at fault for both Burnley goals.

Originally posted by Martinmalta View Post
    When we started our mini-revival after the defeat at West Ham, some changes were made to the side that made a big difference. Rio and Traore were dropped and even the 3-5-2 system was put aside. After the defeat to Burnley we are again in that same position. We need to make some changes. It must start by dropping either Dunne or Caulker and put in Rio and Ned. Mutch must be given a run in the side. He couldn't become a bad player overnight. The central defenders were at fault for both Burnley goals.
    I do think Rio should be given consideration given that Dunne and caulker can play quite well and not form a partnership , though I'm not a fan of Onour overated imo

Comment

Originally posted by dogsrrs View Post
      I do think Rio should be given consideration given that Dunne and caulker can play quite well and not form a partnership , though I'm not a fan of Onour overated imo
      Did you watch rio against Sheffield?
      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

It's alright blaming Dunne and Caulker but we're #### poor defensively as a unit.

Opponents have had 337 shots at our goal in 21 games, that's an average of 16 shots a game!

Even if teams have a low conversion rate of 15%, we have to score 3 goals a game to win, it's ridiculous!

You can get away with it if your team is full of attacking talent, sadly that's something we don't have.

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
          Did you watch rio against Sheffield?
          Did you watch Dunne/Caulker against Burnley?

Comment

Did you watch Dunne/Caulker against Burnley?
            They were poor but for the majority of the season they have been ok

Ferdinand has shown he can't play in a 2 man central defence so I would rather Ehmer was given a chance than play Ferdinand
            We Are The People.....

Comment

I think part of the problem is we have to do so much defending because we can't keep the ball at the other end you are going to leak goals. Spurs apart Dunne has out performed what I expected from him this season, Caulker has done ok, not good but not bad, taken as a whole. I think Rio has been jettisoned too quickly as probably most of the players have been bad in at least one or two games this season.

Mutch may not be fully match fit yet and who would we look at dropping to give him game time, if he's not fully up to speed can we carry him until he is.

I would add that I don't see the players everyday in training so am only basing my view on the 45-90 minutes on a Saturday.

Comment

Agree re Dunne and Caulker. However, sometimes when a change is made it may revamp the players. It could be that after they are dropped for one or two games, they will be back stronger. The realism of the whole situation are the statistics mentioned by Mattyqpr. If they were so good how come we conceded 337 shots against us in 21 games? Does not looks a solid defence for me.

Comment

We need to go with more stability in the middle of the park. Out of the current squad I'd have Sandro and Henry sitting and play a 4231 formation.

Isla and Yun both get forward often so play them as full backs, Sandro and Henry sitting deep. Vargas and Zarate as wingers with Adel in behind Austin.

Comment

Originally posted by Garyd73 View Post
                    I think part of the problem is we have to do so much defending because we can't keep the ball at the other end you are going to leak goals. Spurs apart Dunne has out performed what I expected from him this season, Caulker has done ok, not good but not bad, taken as a whole. I think Rio has been jettisoned too quickly as probably most of the players have been bad in at least one or two games this season.

Mutch may not be fully match fit yet and who would we look at dropping to give him game time, if he's not fully up to speed can we carry him until he is.

I would add that I don't see the players everyday in training so am only basing my view on the 45-90 minutes on a Saturday.
                    We keep mentioning Mutch is not fully fit. Is Bobby Zamora fully fit? He plays every game and currently is providing very little.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattyqpr View Post
                      It's alright blaming Dunne and Caulker but we're #### poor defensively as a unit.

Opponents have had 337 shots at our goal in 21 games, that's an average of 16 shots a game!

Even if teams have a low conversion rate of 15%, we have to score 3 goals a game to win, it's ridiculous!

You can get away with it if your team is full of attacking talent, sadly that's something we don't have.
                      Yep that's my point Dunne and Caulker can play well and still there's something wrong , Caulker came here on the understanding Rio was to follow as he thought he could benefit playing along side Rio does that say he is still needs guidance does he not get it from or give it to Dunne I don't know ! but I do know there's something wrong when both are having a decent game and a goal is always likely to come

Comment

We keep mentioning Mutch is not fully fit. Is Bobby Zamora fully fit? He plays every game and currently is providing very little.
                        I think with Bobby it's more his age and long standing injuries with him, Mutch can get fully match fit but I doubt Zamora can again. While Bobby may play every game it's not always as a starter as his body won't allow it anymore.

I'm sure there are most examples but the two goals against Man City and another at Burnley were just long balls played over our defenders which they missed which is unacceptable.

Comment

stick Col Donaldson in there......it's only RVP Rooney, Falcao, Mata etc!!

Comment

Working...
                          X