Looking back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking back

I have been doing a lot of thinking regarding the Burnley match. Obviously I was absolutely distraught and about as close as you could get to being harryout without actually saying it. Looking back at it though. I would say the only thing he really got wrong that day was the Vargas substitution. People will question why henry came off but in truth he brought very little to the side on the day. Made only 1 tackle all game before he came off. At the moment, with the way clint is being used, it was wise to bring him off. Issue was that we don't have a left back other than Traore. Perhaps taking off Fer or Barton in particular who has been a mess recently would have made more sense than taking off Vargas. Moving to having Vargas, taarabt and Zarate on behind austin is the way forward I believe and could lead to plenty of goals. Other than that though, I can't see much wrong with anything he did that game. Playing taarabt proved to pay off in a way in that we got to see what he offered to the team, in the form of passing. Taarabt played the most passes and succeeded more than anyone. 60 passes attempted and 52 successful is an incredible amount considering burnley's highest amount was 37. This is made more impressive by this image showing his passes in the final third. To have made that many successful passes is quite amazing.

Beyond this though, I have watched the whole match again and we actually defended really well throughout, the only issue was that individual errors cost us. The players seemed motivated and looked to attack well, highlighted by the fact that the ball was in their defensive third for most of the game. We were hit by two poor moments and that is it. Our goal also showed a potential bit of interplay and understanding between taarabt, vargas and Charlie that I last saw when Taarabt played that wonderful ball for Remy's goal against West ham on his debut. I do hope we stick with him over Zamora although I can't see it happening. Imagine being the opposition and seeing a potential attack of Charlie, Taarabt, Vargas and Zarate all moving towards you. I would be shi tting myself in that moment and I hope to see defenders in the prem doing the same. There is no reason why we can't stay up, our performance showed that. We need one or two changes only: Sandro for Henry and Zarate for Joey (obviously switch him with Fer on the pitch), and I feel we will have a first team capable of doing plenty of damage away from home, where teams will be expecting us to stay back. The fact is, we didn't do that against burnley and I hope to see more of the same in the future. We played more passes than them in the final third, we attempted and succeeded in more dribbles than them, and we even attempted as many shots on target as them, and managed to hit the post.

I'm not trying to be over optimistic because I know that may seem annoying as well as over using stats, so I have tried to avoid doing that. I use them a bit to back up what we already know and I also like to shed some light on things that may have gone unnoticed during the game. I hope we can all get behind the team at Loftus Road when Man Utd come to town. Lets get the stadium rocking and lets push them about. We can do this everyone. Let's make 2015 a year to remember for all the right reasons.
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

The whole season's been individual errors which cost us, we've had enough of this now. Why don't other clubs have this issue?

Adel, well done and hope you now get given the chance to play your part.

Comment

Originally posted by MYU View Post
      The whole season's been individual errors which cost us, we've had enough of this now. Why don't other clubs have this issue?

Adel, well done and hope you now get given the chance to play your part.
      It's true, they are individual errors and that is down to a poor level of concentration for the individual. I can understand it occassionally happening for Caulker, given his youth but I feel Dunne had to be more adept to focussing in important moments. I think it is an issue of quality at times.
      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Defended well? Burnley had 18 attempts did they not?

Both goals were disastrous, we let Barnes stand in the box from a throw in with no one within 10 yards of him in another huge error. Ings should have scored another when he got put through one on one with Green but messed up with a terrible touch. Keane had a free header from a corner and also another he should have buried from a cleared corner/free kick.

We could and should have conceded 4 or 5 if we're being honest. If that's good defending then we might as well give up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattyqpr View Post
          Defended well? Burnley had 18 attempts did they not?

Both goals were disastrous, we let Barnes stand in the box from a throw in with no one within 10 yards of him in another huge error. Ings should have scored another when he got put through one on one with Green but messed up with a terrible touch. Keane had a free header from a corner and also another he should have buried from a cleared corner/free kick.

We could and should have conceded 4 or 5 if we're being honest. If that's good defending then we might as well give up.
          They had 18 and so did we. Theirs came mainly from corners and set pieces in general and ours came from individual quality. As you said, there were individual errors and no one is denying that at all, but i think you are over exaggerating it a bit. Just to point out, 8 of their chances came from set plays, only 5 of ours did yet we produced as many shots as them.

Comment

F**k me ....diagrams now?!!

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
              They had 18 and so did we. Theirs came mainly from corners and set pieces in general and ours came from individual quality. As you said, there were individual errors and no one is denying that at all, but i think you are over exaggerating it a bit. Just to point out, 8 of their chances came from set plays, only 5 of ours did yet we produced as many shots as them.
              The problem with your argument is Burnley are shite at defending. Just because we had 18 shots doesn't mean it's acceptable for them to have 18 shots. Who cares whether they come from corners or set pieces? You say Burnley's chances come from set plays but then back it up with 8 to 5 in their favour? Hardly landslide is it?

Green was far busier than Heaton, so I'm not sure where this individual quality was? Vargas's attempt was the only real bit of quality that Heaton had to deal with. Can't remember another save that was anything other than routine?

Comment

personally i don't look stats at or take any notice of attempts on goal , if i watch and we put in a shift i'm happy. burnley beat us becos they were sharper, quicker , closed us down , got there shape back quicker than us when we had the ball and showed more heart and desire than us

Comment

It's simple really score more goals than the opposition
                  R's

Comment

Originally posted by Mattyqpr View Post

Both goals were disastrous, we let Barnes stand in the box from a throw in with no one within 10 yards of him in another huge error. we
                    Smashing point I could not believe what I was seeing it was like watching park football he was not just standing behind defence but waving arms and they still never reacted. Basic defending your taught as a kid but our players are not switched on they lapse concentration to regularly liverpool is another example

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
                      F**k me ....diagrams now?!!
                      Only way to get through to people like you & me Dave, or we just don't get it!

They should have this in our dressing room.

Comment

....we really should do what that team's fans from another country did and have big arrows pointing at the goal we are attacking

...I think they're wearing hoops too!!!

Comment

Sadly there's only two stars that count and they are the ones that read 2-1 .

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
                            ....we really should do what that team's fans from another country did and have big arrows pointing at the goal we are attacking

...I think they're wearing hoops too!!!
                            I would love to see that . Would look Absolutly hilerious on motd .

Comment

Originally posted by Greg1882 View Post
                              I would love to see that . Would look Absolutly hilerious on motd .
                              It would be wouldn't it!!

Comment

Working...
                              X