I agree we need a striker but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree we need a striker but...

If we continue to play one up front, is it going to make much difference?
    Hulse - great player, but needs a partner
    Helguson, same as above

We could sign a quality new striker, like Mutu or whoever, but it is likely they will play alone up front - so is it going to make that much of a difference?

Dont get me wrong, I am as for signing at least one striker, in fact 2 really as we have been crying our for them for as long as i can remember, and its obvious our strikers arent getting the goals, and are not clinical enough.

Its always great to have more options, especially in the position we are in - we are serious contenders. I just wonder if the goals will still be a problem, if we continue the lone striker system - as clear cut chances dont seem to always fall to the strikers specifically,

Maybe its the formation that is playing a part in the struggle for their goals?
    Of course we need new strikers though, ours are pretty poor compared to most of the teams in the division in general, let alone the top 6

I said similar earlier in the season - even if we signed someone like Austin I doubt very much that Warnock's going to sabotage the whole shape of the team that's gotten us this far just to play a standard 4-4-2. Nor is it likely Austin would be able to play as the lone striker either.

By all means we should sign someone up to have a Plan B if possible, but as long as people realise that Plan A still rules supreme.

Comment

We actually aleady have a fairly nippy striker, he is a decent finisher who could play alongside HH or Hulse in a 4-4-2.
      Tommy Smith.

But the reason we play a 4-5-1, and the reason Tommy Smith is almost played as a winger in our team is because the whole formation is moulded to accommodate one player.
      A player who just doesn't fit into a 4-4-2 system. It would dilute his impact massively.

A player who you can't just shove out on the left, and expect him to stick to his position, track back, and show team discipline.
      It would also make him much easier to mark, and nulify him. If he got injured... we'd probably play a 4-4-2 system. Especially at home.

In my opinion - he's well worth it, and I wouldn't swap him for the world... but the scary talent of Adel Taarabt creates this dilemma.
      Final Version - Hope you like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1z0UQ0eqRM

Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/QPRGoddard

Comment

David McIntyre had a good blog post a while ago outlining why our formation not only gets the best out of Taarabt but also Derry, Faurlin, Mackie, and Ephraim too - very few of our current squad is well suited to an orthodox 4-4-2.

Comment

Originally posted by Rsonist View Post
          David McIntyre had a good blog post a while ago outlining why our formation not only gets the best out of Taarabt but also Derry, Faurlin, Mackie, and Ephraim too - very few of our current squad is well suited to an orthodox 4-4-2.
          Exactly.

The pay-off for that is... the likes of Chopra could not be promised a regular start, even if we had him.

That's why a younger striker (like Austin/LeFondre) would be better... they tend to accept that they may have to wait for their chance, because they know they've stepped up a level.
          And time on on their side.
          Final Version - Hope you like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1z0UQ0eqRM

Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/QPRGoddard

Comment

i think once hulse hits the back of the net, his confidence will come back. But it wont be easy! We certainly need more pace tho, and someone who can poach goals

Comment

Working...
            X