Our new way or doing things and place in the footballing world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our new way or doing things and place in the footballing world

Great pre-season in my view that very clearly sets out our stall on how the club should now be perceived.

The footballing world has gone even more money crazy and we simply can't compete with a lot of the bigger clubs at this level let alone be competitive in the Premiership. Longer term a new ground could be a catalyst to better things. Brighton an example of that after almost going out of the league. For now though we need to play within very limited means.

By the time the season has started we will have signed circa 15 players and spent virtually nothing on transfer fees. They have been signed to play a particular style of football, good mix of ages and psychologically most have come here with strong motivation. Loan players obvious examples. Massive years for particularly the younger three. Get it right and possibly gets them nearer first team at their parent clubs or in shop window for lower Premiership sides. get it wrong and potentially a real blow they would have to work hard to recover from. The other permanent signings too will want to make their mark and we are even beating off opposition from other Championship sides.

We have some old heads as well and of course already know Cameron and Rangel. They could be invaluable both on the pitch and alongside our younger players.

Wasn't so long ago we were probably viewed as a car crash joke of a club. With the work behind the scenes and new ethos that seems to have changed. We have been very clear in our message about looking to bring our own players through and also in developing loan players who come here. Man City and Spurs have trusted us with two talented youngsters and Chelsea seemingly also willing, albeit that loan fell through in the end. Smith and Amos genuine prospects too as opposed to poor quality loans you just know will not do anything much. As I say players are choosing us over other comparable clubs as well. That hasn't happened much in a long time.

I'm not expecting us to do anything amazing this year. It's just nice we seem to be credible. It's been a long wait.

Shame people saw fit last week to jump on Uncle. Yes things didn't go well but he mainly just followed the advice of, on the face of it, very well respected footballing people and was left with an enormous mess and hundreds of millions out of pocket. He is as entitled as anyone to feel positive about things.

excellent post Foxy, agree wholeheartedly with the last paragraph too
    I must away now, I can no longer tarry
    This morning's tempest I have to cross
    I must be guided without a stumble
    Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Agree. Post is spot on. The real test ahead is not whether the Club gets off to a good start on the way to a solid season, but whether or not the fans show something that's been difficult to muster for years now: patience.

Comment

On the surface the players brought in seem to be good ones, but the selling off of Furlong is disappointing. I don't know whether his replacement is better or worse, but if players are on long contracts and are players that are 'owned' by QPR then it is easier to support them and develop a connection, rather than a player who is on loan for a year, and hoping to make an impression so they can return and play for their parent club.
        I think that most of the business looks good, and support the way that we are doing things, but the way Furlong was sold (relatively) cheaply and the way Leistner has been treated are issues for concern.

Comment

Good post. We are now running the club sensibly which is very refreshing and has been a long long time in coming. Wads of cash, empty dreams of the "promised land", becoming a 'big club' and being a 'boutique club' are now, thankfully, behind us. Onwards.

Comment

we running club now this way because either we skint or we not allowed to splash. Otherwise i think we would be chucking it about like everyone else.
            Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

Sensible post

Comment

Feels like we are getting back to our roots.

Spending loads of dough isn't always the way to get out of this division either.

Comment

Great post sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtleighsr3 View Post
                    we running club now this way because either we skint or we not allowed to splash. Otherwise i think we would be chucking it about like everyone else.
                    I think your right . FFP has brought an end to the madness.

Comment

Stain we could be twins,the righteous brothers
                      Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

Originally posted by Gtleighsr3 View Post
                        Stain we could be twins,the righteous brothers
                        Ha ha

Comment

Working...
                        X