X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shania
    replied
    Originally posted by cross it Dave View Post
    One wonderful moment was Dave Webb’s last minute winner against Stoke City, the Loft went barmy.

It was none to pleasant walking down South Africa Road after the game.
    And Stoke city had Allan Hudson as their midield general back in those days, I think. He was a great player.

Leave a comment:

• cross it Dave
    replied
    One wonderful moment was Dave Webb’s last minute winner against Stoke City, the Loft went barmy.

It was none to pleasant walking down South Africa Road after the game.
    Last edited by cross it Dave; 28-08-2018, 03:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Shania
    replied
    Originally posted by hbghoopster View Post
    Joyful joyful times even writing this i have chills the most exciting team i have ever seen hard to disribe what a beast gerry Francis was end to end every game dave thomas setiing off down the wing at great speed a proper winger who hugged the byline and of course stan on his best day our greatest player imo. Not just these guys of course but going forward they made it happen and always loved givens coming on for the second half with combed hair and a clean shirt looking like a model - very happy days
    Hehe.

Leave a comment:

• hbghoopster
    replied
    Joyful joyful times even writing this i have chills the most exciting team i have ever seen hard to disribe what a beast gerry Francis was end to end every game dave thomas setiing off down the wing at great speed a proper winger who hugged the byline and of course stan on his best day our greatest player imo. Not just these guys of course but going forward they made it happen and always loved givens coming on for the second half with combed hair and a clean shirt looking like a model - very happy days

Leave a comment:

• Shania
    replied

A lot of the squad we’re approaching the end of their careers or certainty beginning to get past their best.
    Ok. Appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• cross it Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by Shania View Post

Ok. And the season after I think I saw Don Givens play for Neuchatel Chamax in Switzerland, They played in European tournaments I believe.. As you ofcourse mentioned Stan Bowles,he went on to play for Nottingham Forest and that move basically spelled the end of an erea for us. I guess the squad were too thin, but I have never really understood why we couldnt keep the momentum somewhat going..
    A lot of the squad we’re approaching the end of their careers or certainty beginning to get past their best.

Leave a comment:

• Shania
    replied
    Originally posted by lymehoop View Post

sort of. Givens wasn't your typical centre forward, there was no meat on the man for starters. He would play across the line, had the height for knock-ons and had some pace too. Rangers played a unique style and it's difficult to pigeon hole a players role. They were all mavericks in a way
    Ok. And the season after I think I saw Don Givens play for Neuchatel Xhamax in Switzerland, They played in European tournaments I believe.. As you ofcourse mentioned Stan Bowles,he went on to play for Nottingham Forest and that move basically spelled the end of an erea for us. I guess the squad were too thin, but I have never really understood why we couldnt keep the momentum somewhat going..
    Last edited by Shania; 28-08-2018, 12:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dave58
    replied

A correction to my earlier post, I saw us lose at Norwich as well, I guess the trauma of the day made me forget it.

With regards to support it difficult to say, I was in the corner with thousands of us packed into some shitty wired pen, it was very hot on the day, when we scored it was bedlam and you couldnt tell if there Rangers elsewhere in the ground, but I would be very surprised if there weren’t.

I would say a minimum of 5,000 and possibly a couple of thousand others dotted around Carrow Rd in the seats.

I remember coming out at the final wistle and their scummy fans taking the pi ss, that lasted for about a minute.

The best away support we’ve ever had that I know of, was either Villa Park in 68 when we got promoted or that cup game at Selhurst Park against Wimbledon, both in excess of 15,000.
    We were in the wrong end about 5 of our group and about 6 others they took us out of their end marched around the pitch to the other end it was like a caged pen as someone has stated when Dave Thomas equalised it went into mayhem, but sadly the dream faded on that fateful day, I think the whole history of our club could've changed on that day had we won the league, being a better footballing side, than Liverpool, we may have even gone on to win the European cup? as Liverpool did, our team was definitely good enough, which I feel in turn would've changed our history dramatically

Leave a comment:

• stanistheman
    replied

That is true, have I saw a few matches telly here in Norway. It was like watching Ajax and Holland under Rinus Michels.
    Yes they were like a Dutch team.
    The players were all comfortable in their atyle of play and the forward 3 were mobile quick and had the skill to deliver.

Dave58, you are correct that we will not see the like again in the modern game.

Leave a comment:

• cross it Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by bushkangaroo View Post
    Anyone remember how much support we had at Norwich? Seemed like about 10,000??
    A correction to my earlier post, I saw us lose at Norwich as well, I guess the trauma of the day made me forget it.

With regards to support it difficult to say, I was in the corner with thousands of us packed into some shitty wired pen, it was very hot on the day, when we scored it was bedlam and you couldnt tell if there Rangers elsewhere in the ground, but I would be very surprised if there weren’t.

I would say a minimum of 5,000 and possibly a couple of thousand others dotted around Carrow Rd in the seats.

I remember coming out at the final wistle and their scummy fans taking the pi ss, that lasted for about a minute.

The best away support we’ve ever had that I know of, was either Villa Park in 68 when we got promoted or that cup game at Selhurst Park against Wimbledon, both in excess of 15,000.

Leave a comment:

• lymehoop
    replied
    So Don Givens was our main striker then? With Bowles behind him in a free role?
    sort of. Givens wasn't your typical centre forward, there was no meat on the man for starters. He would play across the line, had the height for knock-ons and had some pace too. Rangers played a unique style and it's difficult to pigeon hole a players role. They were all mavericks in a way

Leave a comment:

• Shania
    replied
    Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
    all you need to know is they were from another planet compared to what we watch today\
    That is true, have I saw a few matches telly here in Norway. It was like watching Ajax and Holland under Rinus Michels.

Leave a comment:

• lymehoop
    replied
    all you need to know is they were from another planet compared to what we watch today\

Leave a comment:

• Shania
    replied
    So Don Givens was our main striker then? With Bowles behind him in a free role?

Leave a comment:

• bushkangaroo
    replied
    Anyone remember how much support we had at Norwich? Seemed like about 10,000??

Leave a comment:

Working...
X