Massimo Luongo - Lge 1 level footballer? - Signs new contract until 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
    With respect, all those stats are meaningless. Surely it's obvious to anybody who has watched football for a number of years that for us, Luongo gives the ball away far too much, is unbelievably lightweight, creates next to nothing in terms of good chances for others and is absolutely useless in front of goal.

I'd love him to prove me wrong, but as 77 points out, he hasn't done since he's been here so I'd be very surprised if he starts to now.

It's all about impact. We are all aware of Mackie's limitations for example, but when utilised correctly as he was under NW he had a huge impact for us. Far more than Luongo or Chery have ever had.
    Very interesting post. I know like me, you're very anti the workhorse/donkey type player but I also agree with your views regarding Mackie and this current set of players. I remember days where some called for Mackie over WR, well gone are the days of those quality of player, Mackie deserves a run out. I'd play him as a centre forward though
    I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
      With respect, all those stats are meaningless. Surely it's obvious to anybody who has watched football for a number of years that for us, Luongo gives the ball away far too much, is unbelievably lightweight, creates next to nothing in terms of good chances for others and is absolutely useless in front of goal.

I'd love him to prove me wrong, but as 77 points out, he hasn't done since he's been here so I'd be very surprised if he starts to now.

It's all about impact. We are all aware of Mackie's limitations for example, but when utilised correctly as he was under NW he had a huge impact for us. Far more than Luongo or Chery have ever had.
      Absolutely spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by The Godfather View Post
        I wonder at what point our coaching staff and fanbase will realise that Luongo isn't good enough for the Championship? He shows the occasional nice touch here and there, but that's not really enough to justify a place on the team sheet every week, is it? He gives away possession regularly, makes stupid decisions (Brighton penalty was a classic example), gets pushed off the ball too easily and generally runs about like a headless chicken. Desperately need to drop him for the next game - really can't see how he's chosen over Sandro, or even Henry.

He may come good for us - when we're in League One next season.
        Don't let some on here hear you say that...... Even if it is bloody true.

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
          Don't mind different opinions, Jack. But I was replying to his objection to my opinion. As you tend to do on here, right...?
          True, I just try and do it in a less scathing way

Comment

I don't agree. Our problem is not scoring goals, not our conceding them. And our not creating goals. Midfield is a major part of that problem. And Luongo plays every game.
            Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
            Have to agree. Defence needs decent midfield cover and our strikers need service. Neither are getting enough of what they need.
            Our problem is at boardroom level = dysfunctional club. Mas isn't even on my worry agenda, bigger fish to fry.

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
              I actually rate him and think there is a player in him if he's surrounded by right players around him. But like Hall has form has massively dipped to what he can do
              Keep hearing comments like this but don't get it? When Taarabt played for us he was head and shoulders above anyone else and it showed consistently even with his #### poor attitude. I personally think Luongo has looked half decent once since he's been at rangers. Nothing to do with the players around him!

Comment

Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post
                True, I just try and do it in a less scathing way
                I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish.

Comment

IWe are all aware of Mackie's limitations for example, but when utilised correctly as he was under NW he had a huge impact for us. Far more than Luongo or Chery have ever had.
                  Which proves the point (#50)

Until the board sort out a coherent policy and make sensible appointments, players will be hostage to managers not fit for purpose.

Comment

As Ive said I think he goes missing in too many games , as for the original post there someone on here who thinks he's the best central midfielder in the League, because the stats say so ,he won't like whats being said

Comment

Play him consistently as a ball winning number 10 and I reckon he'd thrive, I like he's urgency and his willingness to not take the safe option. Ariel and Sandro behind him in a 4-3-3 like we had last game with Shodipo on the left instead of Yeni and Caulker in for Ned, a new RB in January and we have a mid table team for this season with plenty of youth in it to push for the future

Comment

I like him as a player his game is just missing scoring a few goals.

Comment

So how did the great Luongo do today? Oh yeah...complete and utter rubbish for the entire match. Continue to play him and we will be relegated - it's like starting with ten men. The gulf in ability between Massimo and their no. 37 was embarrassing at times.

Comment

Their no10 was good too.

Comment

Over reaction again.

Comment

Originally posted by The Godfather View Post
                                So how did the great Luongo do today? Oh yeah...complete and utter rubbish for the entire match. Continue to play him and we will be relegated - it's like starting with ten men. The gulf in ability between Massimo and their no. 37 was embarrassing at times.
                                Come absolutely off it. No, he wasn't great today, especially in that 20 minute period from their first goal, but to call him rubbish is so far off it. I'll take responsibility for the fact that people seem to go overboard with the criticism as I've called him the best in the league at a point and people love digging that sh it out. But calling him rubbish is utter tosh and is less true than him being good.
                                "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Working...
                                X