JFH: "Polter could become a top striker, but we need to be patient"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JFH: "Polter could become a top striker, but we need to be patient"

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink believes his QPR man has the right ingredients to be a top striker. He is now passing on the tricks of the goal-scoring trade to EU import Polter who Hasselbaink believes can be far more than a good target-man.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink should know a top striker when he sees one. And the QPR boss is convinced Sebastian Polter has all the right ingredients to fit the bill. The former Chelsea striker scored nearly 200 goals in a senior career spanning almost 500 games, with notable spells at Leeds and Middlesbrough.

“He has got everything,” he said. "He has pace and strength, he is good with the head and his feet are not bad."

Those attributes have brought four goals so far in a stop start season for Polter, whose performance, including winning the penalty for the second goal, in Saturday’s 2-0 win over playoff contenders Birmingham suggests he is now adjusting to life in the English game.

Hasselbaink believes while all the raw material is there, Rangers have not seen anything yet where the blonde striker is concerned and if both club and fans remain patient their faith will be rewarded.

“Today Seb had a great performance which gave us a platform,” he added. “He is only 24 and he has come over from Germany, so is away from his family and needs nurturing. He is a confidence player who I believe can improve a lot, lot more, but we need to be patient with him.”

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport...-qpr-10964459?

Has JFH received a bang on the head??to be a top player you need some attributes ,I've not seen any of the things JFH is on about in the BFG pace? good with his feet?

Comment

He stresses "He's only 24." That's not very young. If JFH sees some untapped potential in him then of course I'm willing to be patient and supportive, but the jury is still very much out for me, based on what I've witnessed so far.

Comment

I'd love to be proved wrong but I think JFH has been to Amsterdam for the weekend .

Comment

I'm sorry. I am very much in the realist camp, and also a glass half full kind of person, but this player will absolutely never become a top player. He cannot even master the basics of football a lot of the time. His feet are awful, his touch is dire, yes he has strength, but doesn't always use it to his advantage and also struggles to even jump a lot of the time.

I truly admire his determination and work rate it is 2nd to none but it is clearly obvious he has not got a vast amount of natural football ability.

Personally I think this is just talk to give him a confidence boost and get into his head which is fair enough it's part of the game.

Comment

He's trying to give the boy some confidence. What's he supposed to say? Oh don't bother with that big lump he's ####ing awful. We all know he won't be a top player but if trying to buzz him up breeds confidence and gets us more goals I don't see what the problem is

Comment

Nevertheless, you can see an improvement in the lad in all areas of his game.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
                Definitely. I like him. Think he'll become a cult hero. Him and Washington is a combo I'd like to see more of personally. I think their styles suit each other's games.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
                  His touch was really good relative to what we've seen over the weekend which I was pleased about and he was getting involved all over the pitch and running with the ball. He's got a really surprising turn of pace for someone of his size too. I really hope JFH is right.
                  "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

He said his feet are not bad, which means there's work to be done there, don't know why people are thinking JFH is a mug for giving his overall impression on the player. Maybe they know better

Comment

Nasser, do you agree with his FIFA stats?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg1882 View Post
                        He's trying to give the boy some confidence. What's he supposed to say? Oh don't bother with that big lump he's ####ing awful. We all know he won't be a top player but if trying to buzz him up breeds confidence and gets us more goals I don't see what the problem is
                        Exactly. I'm sure JFH has his doubts but what else is he supposed to say
                        “He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long”
                        Will Danaher

Comment

I think some of you have been on what Jim's on, he couldn't trap a bag of cement and I've seen a bus turn faster Pace? Turn of pace Nas what slow & slower REALLY! also as someone else states on here he hardly ever gets off the ground 6ft 3 and jumps 6ft

Comment

I find it unbelievable that people like dave58, Stanley and knocker think they know more about Polter than PFH who is working with him most days of the week.
                            I would like to "hear" from you why you are better prepared for this than our manager.
                            We could also talk about what Polter has done in the 11 games he has as a starter - 4 goals scored - 2/3 assist - 1 penalty gained and the total score for the team is 13 goals,
                            Btw Washintons stat so far is 0 - 0 - 0

Comment

Originally posted by hh9 View Post
                              I find it unbelievable that people like dave58, Stanley and knocker think they know more about Polter than PFH who is working with him most days of the week.
                              I would like to "hear" from you why you are better prepared for this than our manager.
                              We could also talk about what Polter has done in the 11 games he has as a starter - 4 goals scored - 2/3 assist - 1 penalty gained and the total score for the team is 13 goals,
                              Btw Washintons stat so far is 0 - 0 - 0
                              I guess you missed this part of my post above:

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                              If JFH sees some untapped potential in him then of course I'm willing to be patient and supportive.

Comment

Working...
                              X