Have we outplayed anyone in midfield all season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have we outplayed anyone in midfield all season

It's getting beyond a joke. Every game I watch I end up thinking their midfield is much better than ours.

Originally posted by Chopper View Post
    It's getting beyond a joke. Every game I watch I end up thinking their midfield is much better than ours.
    Hull Away
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

I think Ramsey went for quantity rather than quality at the beginning of the season

Comment

We looked so much more solid with Sandro and Faurlin. But Sandro will likely never play for us again and Faurlin sadly is injury prone and needs careful management as we all know. Without them the only midfield 'battler' we have is Henry....

Comment

Originally posted by bushkangaroo View Post
          We looked so much more solid with Sandro and Faurlin. But Sandro will likely never play for us again and Faurlin sadly is injury prone and needs careful management as we all know. Without them the only midfield 'battler' we have is Henry....
          And Henry showed yesterday why he should have been playing against Fulham. Ok, he ain't going to the Euros but he happens to be the only player in our squad who can put himself about (ask the appropriately named Darren Pratley) and in our position he has to play. Luongo played much better yesterday as he could actually risk going forward with Henry around. Phillips and Hoillet are the problems as far as midfield is concerned. One decent shot aside, Hoillet still doesn't have an end product. He couldn't deliver a pizza if he had sat nav on his moped. Phillips doesn't go past people any more and the only time he cut inside he scored - thanks to Ben Amos having just read 'Greeno's Top Tips for Keepers' - but he did what he used to do and it worked. More please. Washington looks like he can be a handful in time and El Khayati made us look dangerous on the counter. We still don't move around the pitch like other teams, that's why we get overrun and JFH hasn't changed this. You see teams move by doing pass and move triangles. This is a basic that we don't do. No one makes a decent run and when Washington did yesterday no one can pass well enough to find him. Ned and Hall looked more settled again so maybe their dodgy patch is over. Perch's schoolboy header before their goal was appalling and Konchesky still looks f***ed after 20 mins. Felt like a win especially after sitting in the rain for most of the match. Who thought to build a modern stadium in NW England with only half a roof?

Comment

Originally posted by Alanwycombe View Post
            And Henry showed yesterday why he should have been playing against Fulham. Ok, he ain't going to the Euros but he happens to be the only player in our squad who can put himself about (ask the appropriately named Darren Pratley) and in our position he has to play. Luongo played much better yesterday as he could actually risk going forward with Henry around. Phillips and Hoillet are the problems as far as midfield is concerned. One decent shot aside, Hoillet still doesn't have an end product. He couldn't deliver a pizza if he had sat nav on his moped. Phillips doesn't go past people any more and the only time he cut inside he scored - thanks to Ben Amos having just read 'Greeno's Top Tips for Keepers' - but he did what he used to do and it worked. More please. Washington looks like he can be a handful in time and El Khayati made us look dangerous on the counter. We still don't move around the pitch like other teams, that's why we get overrun and JFH hasn't changed this. You see teams move by doing pass and move triangles. This is a basic that we don't do. No one makes a decent run and when Washington did yesterday no one can pass well enough to find him. Ned and Hall looked more settled again so maybe their dodgy patch is over. Perch's schoolboy header before their goal was appalling and Konchesky still looks f***ed after 20 mins. Felt like a win especially after sitting in the rain for most of the match. Who thought to build a modern stadium in NW England with only half a roof?
            Blimey that was fast, a one match dodgy patch?

Some of this I agree with, some of it I don't, I still think Phillips played well, from what I heard and looking at the stats (he won man of the match on whoscored.com) he was pretty good. Would love now for El Khayati to start getting game time as he's been solid every time he comes on and I reckon starting Polter alongside Washington will work well, especially with Phillips able to deliver and Nasser able to counter.
            "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Agree with every word of that Alan, especially re Hoillet. Time for El Coyote to now replace him from the starting line-up.

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                Blimey that was fast, a one match dodgy patch?

Some of this I agree with, some of it I don't, I still think Phillips played well, from what I heard and looking at the stats (he won man of the match on whoscored.com) he was pretty good. Would love now for El Khayati to start getting game time as he's been solid every time he comes on and I reckon starting Polter alongside Washington will work well, especially with Phillips able to deliver and Nasser able to counter.
                I'm happy to stick with what I said. You know I'm a Ned and Hall fan and Phillips getting mom is a joke. He only got it because he scored and his shot was never going to be a goal until Amos messed up.

Comment

I'm happy to stick with what I said. You know I'm a Ned and Hall fan and Phillips getting mom is a joke. He only got it because he scored and his shot was never going to be a goal until Amos messed up.
                  I think that helped certainly but it always will won't it? He also made more successful dribbles than anyone else, held the ball more than most players and won the ball in the air quite a bit, got a few shots off, more crosses in than anyone and generally did what you'd expect a winger to do.

Comment

I think that helped certainly but it always will won't it? He also made more successful dribbles than anyone else, held the ball more than most players and won the ball in the air quite a bit, got a few shots off, more crosses in than anyone and generally did what you'd expect a winger to do.
                    None of that was decent quality though. That's where the stats argument falls down. The only other goal worthy chances were a shot from Junior and one from Washington.

Comment

None of that was decent quality though. That's where the stats argument falls down. The only other goal worthy chances were a shot from Junior and one from Washington.
                      Look, at the end of the day, if you're better than everyone else on the pitch you win man of the match. He didn't need to have a fantastic game to be better than everyone else from the stuff I've heard so I'd give him benefit of the doubt. He made the difference in the end and the goal was nice work from him despite the keeper gifting it. It's weird, almost every time Phillips shoots on his left, the keeper f arks up like yesterday or the wolves game.

Comment

Look, at the end of the day, if you're better than everyone else on the pitch you win man of the match. He didn't need to have a fantastic game to be better than everyone else from the stuff I've heard so I'd give him benefit of the doubt. He made the difference in the end and the goal was nice work from him despite the keeper gifting it. It's weird, almost every time Phillips shoots on his left, the keeper f arks up like yesterday or the wolves game.
                        He wasn't our best player, he got mom because he scored a goal most keepers would have saved. I don't care what you've heard, I know what I saw.

Comment

He wasn't our best player, he got mom because he scored a goal most keepers would have saved. I don't care what you've heard, I know what I saw.
                          What's the point of getting aggressive here, I'll ask who you think was the best starter from yesterday? I'm curious

Comment

And Henry showed yesterday why he should have been playing against Fulham. Ok, he ain't going to the Euros but he happens to be the only player in our squad who can put himself about (ask the appropriately named Darren Pratley) and in our position he has to play.
                            honestly not sure how Pratley didnt end with a red or at least 2 yellows yesterday.
                            Rangers Til I Die
                            follow me at twitter.com/arthurqpr

Comment

What's the point of getting aggressive here, I'll ask who you think was the best starter from yesterday? I'm curious
                              Aggressive? Really? Best starter was
                              Luongo and El Khayati made the biggest difference to the team even if it was only for a short time.

Comment

Working...
                              X