Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
    Really? Well that's an LF quote anyway.

Maybe it was the case at the time of the job interview...
    Maybe he wasn't counting cup games (in which they beat Burton) !!

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
      Again, you are totally wrong on this.
      1) I think the kind of audited expenditure that has taken place since TF took over is indicative of poor decision making. I think that with hindsight, he'd say the same thing. The exact amount is available for scrutiny and it does indeed total just under 250 million.

2) All JFH management form was achieved at a lower level and is therefore not a reliable guide to his likely performance here and now.

Right and wrong are absolute constructs. I only have an opinion, as do you.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
        Maybe he wasn't counting cup games (in which they beat Burton) !!
        lol, I also doubt its a career stat, ie it doesn't include his Antwerp stint..... where his win rate was 37%.

If we're going to ask people to present stats, they have to be in context, right Naz?

He has a 64 per cent win rate, better than any manager in the country at the moment.
        Career stats as manager for all first class games = 51.69%. (Source: wiki, but does appear to tally with club records)

Still a decent record, but still a punt at this level....
        Last edited by hal9thou; 11-12-2015, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
          1) I think the kind of audited expenditure that has taken place since TF took over is indicative of poor decision making. I think that with hindsight, he'd say the same thing. The exact amount is available for scrutiny and it does indeed total just under 250 million.

2) All JFH management form was achieved at a lower level and is therefore not a reliable guide to his likely performance here and now.

Right and wrong are absolute constructs. I only have an opinion, as do you.
          I'm going to embolden the statement I am speaking about to make you aware of the point I believe is incorrect, just as I did before. In the case of the point I called 'totally wrong', I am 100% right. You said that he 'did enough to maintain momentum'. This is incorrect, factually. Its not about perception, it is a fact that the momentum was against Burton and they would have dropped down the league fairly quickly if JFH maintained momentum. He came and brought momentum with him, made it himself. That is not an opinion, it is a fact.
          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

lol, I also doubt its a career stat, ie it doesn't include his Antwerp stint..... where his win rate was 37%.

If we're going to ask people to present stats, they have to be in context, right Naz?
            Yes they do, but it is much more contextual to compare stats from the last year or so in a local region where the style is similar to our own. So it would be non-contextual to look at his Antwerp stats as they do not represent the manager he has become in the UK.
            "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
              Yes they do, but it is much more contextual to compare stats from the last year or so in a local region where the style is similar to our own. So it would be non-contextual to look at his Antwerp stats as they do not represent the manager he has become in the UK.
              I kind of disagree. You're leaving out factual material (Antwerp) because - in your opinion - it doesn't count. I can see why you think that, but if you were doing a career breakdown of JFH's management stats, you couldn't just sweep them under the carpet. Otherwise stats become as unreliable as opinion.

Comment

I kind of disagree. You're leaving out factual material (Antwerp) because - in your opinion - it doesn't count. I can see why you think that, but if you were doing a career breakdown of JFH's management stats, you couldn't just sweep them under the carpet. Otherwise stats become as unreliable as opinion.
                No one was doing a career assessment of the man, they were looking at his record in the country (as Stanley stated). In that sense, they weren't ignoring something to prove their point, they were looking at a contextual fact of who has the best win record in the country. If you wanted to look at career, then yes, you could say he has a slightly lower record due to his time at Antwerp but as you said, its still a good record.

Comment

Hal and Nas, excellent and civilised debate guys!

This is what makes football forums so good, in my humble opinion. Both sides respectfully and articulately putting their reasoned arguments across.

Comment

This is what makes football forums so good, in my humble opinion. Both sides respectfully and articulately putting their reasoned arguments across.
                    Cheers mate. I do actually see a lot of Hal's points, and I can understand the belief that it is a gamble, but IMO it's a calculated one.

Comment

Cheers Stan.

Nas is a good man and his heart is obviously in the right place. I'm just a grumpy old man - I'm sure there are stats which demonstrate that the older you get, the more cynical you become....

FWIW, I really hope JFH works out for us. If he does, everyone on here knows that I wouldn't have made that particular leap of faith if it had been my call and I'll happily take some stick - I don't want to be right if it means more grief for the Rs.

Comment

Hoos on Hasselbaink

Interesting read from the Burnley matchday programme:

Comment

Working...
                        X