Very tough but exciting game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very tough but exciting game

That was a match that really encapsulated the passion of the Championship. I thought the Sheffield Wednesday supporters were absolutely superb and contributed towards an electric atmosphere. It reminded me of why, in many ways, I prefer this division to the Premiership. You wouldn't see the likes of plastic Fulham and Arsenal fans jumping up and down like the travelling Wednesday contingent did. I loved the physicality and aggression of the football as well - some of those tackles would have been immediate yellow cards in the Premiership. Faurlin's three successive slide tackles had me standing up applauding: that's what football is all about and you don't see it as often now in the top tier because of overzealous refereeing. A great game. In summary: proper supporters. Players who care. A proper league.

Regarding our performance, I didn't think we were great and perhaps a little fortunate to get the three points, but there were certainly positives to take away. Johnson was fantastic in the first half and was causing the opposition all sorts of problems. He could have had two goals within the opening ten minutes. He did fade during the second half, but you have to remember that he's been out of action for a long time. If he stays fit, expect him to score in excess of 20 goals this season. Hoilett seemed like a different player to the one we saw last season - tricky, pacey and a serious goal threat. Barton really showed his class as well. I've been one of his biggest critics, but today he conducted himself superbly. Gave 100%, contributed towards a goal, kept things simple and put in some dangerous crosses and set-pieces. Faurlin I thought played very well indeed and was at times taking on the work of two midfielders as Henry was very unimpressive.

The negatives were as follows: Zamora looked just as useless as he did last season. He offers nothing going forward - he is a complete donkey in every sense of the word. Austin must replace him for next week's trip to Huddersfield, as he looked a lot livelier and more likely to make things happen. Danny Simpson was caught out positionally a few times, but I get the feeling that he is still adapting to a new club and new division and am confident that he will quickly improve. Hill had a shaky first half, but seemed much more solid during the second. Lastly, I was not impressed by Karl Henry, who looked lethargic throughout and surprisingly reluctant to get stuck in. Based on that showing, I'd have Derry or Jenas in there for the Huddersfield trip.

Overall, a thoroughly entertaining match which has left me excited at the campaign ahead.

Agree with most of that but it seems to me that Henry is our new nominated boo boy, today he was OK,no more or less,defensive midfielders will never win the plaudits, unlike Faulin who was simply dreadful first half and only better in the last 20,and our fans think he is the dogs,to me his passing was poor and looked slow and unfit, funny how fans favourites can do no wrong.

Comment

great read Godfather, listened on Radio 5, bit nervy and like you say perhaps Wednesday were a tad unlucky, but like others have said, vital we have a solid start. Early doors, but Wigan look like the team to beat
      Last edited by lymehoop; 03-08-2013, 08:36 PM.
      I must away now, I can no longer tarry
      This morning's tempest I have to cross
      I must be guided without a stumble
      Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Thought the Wednesday fans were fantastic.

Comment

Weds fans superb as always and Henry was shocking out of his depth tbh imo, great game to watch although not a lot of quality
          22nd February away v Charlton is the 40th Anniversary of my support of QPR and my first game. Away v Chelsea 3-3 23rd Feb 1974. 40 years of pure magic!!

Comment

looks like brawn will be key to a lot of games this season
            I must away now, I can no longer tarry
            This morning's tempest I have to cross
            I must be guided without a stumble
            Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Working...
            X