I've written off this season, its next season I worry about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've written off this season, its next season I worry about

Hugely difficult to re-motivate a team that has just been relegated. Look at Wolves, Blackburn and Birmingham. Worse, we are the ultimate team now of journeyman Prem mercenaries. Will they want to know at Barnsley away? And it gets worse: the players who show fight (Clint, Nelsen, Derry) are too old and technically limited (look at the way Clint was humiliated today) to re-build a team around, even in the Championship.

For all the great investment and enthusiasm of Tony Fernandes he basically might as well have flushed most of it down the toilet (with Hoilet). We have to start again. And it really pains me to say that because I realise it is calling for yet more revolution when I have constantly banged on about the need for stability. But sadly our re-building so far has been to throw out much that was good while bringing in much that was bad.

For this transfer window I wouldn't now waste a penny on an Anelka, Joe Cole, etc etc. Its too late. If we had even three more points I would say we were still in the game, but now it wd just be throwing yet more good money after bad. If we bring in any players it should be those who will be prepared to go down with us and fight to come back up next season.

Oh, one final thing: I have never before posted one of those ultra negative threads along the lines of "I never want to see x in a QPR shirt again." But I think I now want to break my own rule. Granero. What is he thinking? Does he care at all? Has there ever been a less interested, less committed player? He might know what to do in a Real Madrid shirt, but does he have the faintest clue of what it takes to win out in a relegation battle? I think I wd rather have back Marcus Bean - at least he cared. And I never thought I would find myself saying that...

ps: meant to say, plse save me the kind of posts saying "if only all our players were like Clint/ Mackie etc". In fairness to Hughes today showed precisely why he decided none of that lot were good enough. OK, so his replacements were scarcely any better but all those who now like to think that the good ship warnock would have seen us right were rudely disabused today.

Comment

....or Newcastle or West Ham who bounced straight back up in recent years, or WBA for that matter...or are we just focusing on the down side of things here....?

Comment

Originally posted by twranger View Post
        ....or Newcastle or West Ham who bounced straight back up in recent years, or WBA for that matter...or are we just focusing on the down side of things here....?
        Maybe there is an element of depression after such a crushing defeat but those were reasonably well established clubs. Blackburn aside, there can't be many teams who will have gone down as more of a shambles than we are. Its no secret that we have effectively two squads (at least), neither of whom likes the other. Who would you make the nucleus of a Championship team from our current squad?

Comment

I actually agree with your post. Start clearing the mercenaries, don't sign anymore, and bring in players who even if we go down, will hang around to bring us back up.

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
            Maybe there is an element of depression after such a crushing defeat but those were reasonably well established clubs. Blackburn aside, there can't be many teams who will have gone down as more of a shambles than we are. Its no secret that we have effectively two squads (at least), neither of whom likes the other. Who would you make the nucleus of a Championship team from our current squad?
            Mackie, Derry, Nelsen, Hill, Diakite, Faurlin, Ehmer, Andrade, Johnson, DJ and Zamora and maybe even Bothroyd when he returns! Then we can build around that.
            Last edited by SuperHoopNik; 30-12-2012, 09:35 PM.
            "When you went to the corner and saw our fans celebrating the way they were you just wanted to be part of it" - Shaun Derry after we beat the scum 1-0

Comment

Originally posted by SuperHoopNik View Post
              Mackie, Derry, Nelsen, Hill, Diakite, Faurlin, Ehmer, Andrade, Johnson, DJ and Zamora and maybe even Bothroyd when he returns! Then we can build around that.
              Thanks for replying on my behalf...........anyway, what you said I suppose!

Comment

I agree that the team needs to be rebuilt. There is so much deadwood at the club it is going to costs us millions to get them off the books. We need to build our team like Swansea, West Brom and Norwich which would take time. No more has beens and panic signings. Is Harry the right man to do this because of his age and the time it would take and would he want to do it?

Comment

Tonight should be the start of our Championship campaign and if Harry stays on board think we stand a chance of coming straight back. Biggest problem will be to shift this shower, the only decent ones are coming to the end of their career. Not only a new team but virtually a whole squad needs to be put in place. Lastly, there needs to be an inquiry about how we've been saddled with this shower of sh**e
                  I must away now, I can no longer tarry
                  This morning's tempest I have to cross
                  I must be guided without a stumble
                  Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Originally posted by SuperHoopNik View Post
                    Three of those players are about 35, so will be 36 next year. Ehmer and Andrade have about two senior games between them. Mackie is an honest toiler but we looked much better in our Championship winning season when we replaced him with Routledge. Zamora is injury prone and by his own admission hates football. Faurlin is my favourite Rs player but has only shown glimpses of his pre-injury form. Diakite is a fruitcake but might clam down. DJ and Bothroyd probably not a bad front line. I wd also add that Onouha wd probably look at home in the Championship too. But not a huge amount to work with there.

Comment

Working...
                    X