Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chances for promotion from the perspective of goal difference

Hi there,

Everyone understandably equates our promotion chances with the arrival of a guaranteed 20-goal striker. I don't disagree. It's clear that the presence of at least one is indispensable for a top two finish.
    However, let's assume that no new striker comes. Clearly, the foundations - our defence + keeper - of the team are very strong. We should assume that a left-back at least arrives. Last season this defensive squad conceded just 44 goals. Perhaps we should add 10 on to this total, believing that Magilton will get the team risking more by attacking more. So we can guesstimate a total season's goals conceded tally of about 55 goals.
    The teams in 5th and 6th place scored 72 and 66 goals respectively for a goal difference of +12 each. So the next question is where do an extra 30 to 35 goals come from? I would suggest that our current squad is very capable of getting 70 goals. Buzacky will not only get you at least 10 himself but his set pieces will surely get more 5 or so goals for the likes of Stewart and Leigertwood. Vine also will get 10. And, on previous form, we can confidently hope that Agyemang will score more with Vine alongside him. Rowlands is also good for 5 to 10 next season. Don't know about Faurlin.

So, it suddenly becomes quite feasible for our current squad (assuming they can stay fit for most of the season) to end the coming season with a goal difference of +20 or +25. This, it would seem, would be enough for the play-offs at least.

How about that for a considered piece of optimistic thinking?

How dare you come on here and spout your positive spin.LOL
    Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

Chuck in half a dozen from Balanta (thinking he'll be on the bench a fair bit) Although I do have a bet on him getting ten @ damned good odds. Plus say a few more from Stewpeas than he did this year and I agree, I think we have a good chance
      Running the London Marathon for the Down's Syndrome Association....

Visit my charity page here

Comment

our goals for were the worst in the championship last season and who is this proven 20 goal striker we are in for, think someone's been eating spacecake:(:( 42 goals is all we could muster in 46 games pathetic to say the least
        Gerry Francis the greatest all round player to come from these shores:super_man:

Comment

Love it! This is the kind of negative drivel that we have to read here. You didn't even take the time to read my original post accurately. My predictions were based on this 20-goal striker not coming.
          Then your second point shows that you completely missed the point of the post by just offering a simple restatement of our failures to score last season.

Thank you, the other two, for your comments. Just proves you right, eh, Gtleighsr3!

Comment

oi, i do have a name x
            Running the London Marathon for the Down's Syndrome Association....

Visit my charity page here

Comment

Originally posted by ScottJones View Post
              Chuck in half a dozen from Balanta (thinking he'll be on the bench a fair bit) Although I do have a bet on him getting ten @ damned good odds. Plus say a few more from Stewpeas than he did this year and I agree, I think we have a good chance
              -14 from Blackstock, who is going to score them?

Comment

It does not matter if you know anything about football how many chances the team make if your team does not have that player to put the ball in the net your knackered. Where you get this idea that magilton will get the team to create more chances I don't know, he spent loads of money at Ipswich and failed to get them in the playoffs and why he was sacked. My opinion is that magilton will be here 4 months tops
                Gerry Francis the greatest all round player to come from these shores:super_man:

Comment

why be a football fan if you can't even go into a new season with optimism? Even if it's blind!! Or in my case just partially sighted!

Comment

Originally posted by bobbins View Post
                    why be a football fan if you can't even go into a new season with optimism? Even if it's blind!! Or in my case just partially sighted!
                    amblyobic in both eyes i think:amazing:

Comment

Firstly there is no such thing as a GUARANTEED 20 goal a year striker.
                      And at the end of the day, if you don't concede many goals, you may only need to score 1 or 2 to win a game. So goal difference isn't important if you get enough wins, which can be 1-0, you still only get the three points.
                      My gut feeling is we will be playing more attacking football under JM, which will produce more goals than last season. So if the defence stays tight, we should have a better season. How much better only time will tell.

Comment

Two chances, slim and none!

Comment

"none chance". Not heard that expression

Comment

Working...
                          X