X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A year in the life of a QPR fan part 1 and PART 2

A year in the life of a QPR fan
    Part one

They say there is never a dull moment being a QPR fan, well I have to say that couldn't be truer. Over the last year we have had a wave of emotions and have gone from being favourates to promotion to mid table mediocracy. Where it went wrong is of course however up for debate.

Go back one year to this day and the mood at QPR was very positive. Pre season had just begun and most fans including myself expected big things in the coming season. While many were dissapointed of the appointment of Dowie, most of us remained positive and expected a good year ahead. Signings also seemed positive,even if not permanent. Dani Perejo certinally had us going. 'Maddrids greatest talent' and along with ledesma, and alberti who Gianni Paladini said would score '99 goals' had us thinking we had an unbeatable midfeild. And to be fair, it looked very strong. Especially with Cook, Buzsacky, Rowlands and Leigertwood also in the frame. Strikewise, like me, many thaught we were slightly weak however it might do. Memories of agemangs 7 game goal streak and dexters 14 goal season along with Vine coming back lingered in the mind.

Defensive wise I was also confident. Ramage seemed a good signing(I wish I could say that now ) and I could see Gorkks and Hall bringing a good partnership together. Ironically I saw Stewart as our weekest defender-how wrong I was!!!.

So, the season kicked of admist massive excitment. Could this be the year Rangers finally get back to the promised land. Barnsley was our first stop. I remember that day very well. Rainy grey day, Unfortunley I couldnt be there as I had a family party but Sky sports had me going mental when Fitz scored his second

2-1 not a great start but it was a win and had us on our way. After a big loss to sheffield and a win against Doncaster, Southampton came our way. A 4-1 win propelled us to fourth place. We couldnt miss out now,surely? Saying that, even though the scoreline was big we still made a very poor saints side look good.

Villa in the Cup came soon. I wasnt there but the moment when it was confirmed we had won had me praising Iain Dowie! He was the man to take us up I thaught. This really was the high point of the season. While at Loftus Road the atmosphere was not upto its usual high standards the general feel was positive and most believed we had a real shot of getting at worst into the Playoffs.

Then of course came the sacking of Dowie before the Reading match. Gareth Ainsworth took over and took us to a deserved draw. Looking back on Dowie, I still believe to this day he was the wrong appointment. However I also believe that had we kept him we would have had a much more successful campaign than we did in the end. Dont get me wrong-the football under him was dire, but it never improved throughout the rest of the season.

A year in the life of a QPR fan PART 2

Iains Dowie sacking shocked us all, but in moved Gareth Aisnworth. Would he be able to cope? I think its fair to say Ainsworth did brilliant in his first spell. Under difficult conditions he got us a credible draw at Reading and then against top of the league Birmingham, in my opinion our best win of the year. What a game that was. It was almost like a fairytale! Mikele Leigerwood sent of left sounds of boos around the ground against Atwell. I still think to this day that was an awful decision. And then of course came Di Carmines goal-what a rocket, this all followed by the snow. We were now back on course for promotion I thaught. There were even rumours of Gareth getting the job. Victories came against Cardiff (always very pleasing) and defeats came against Ipswich, Manu (brave effort) and Burnley. In fairness to Gareth he was never going to get the job but he valinatly led the team during his short spell. He is so key to the club as he represents how QPR is a fans club and also just how far we have come. I really hope in some shape or form he can be kept on Permantley at the club as you can see how much it means to him.

So, in came Sousa. I was very surpised at his appointment, especially with all the rumours of Vialli. I didnt really know what to expect-another Gigi I was hoping. A quick ring to a portugease freind led us to find out that in Portugal Sousa is not very popular and when managing the youngsters he played a very defensive style of football. Not what I wanted to hear!!!

Sousa short career with the R's kicked of with him watching away at Watford. Another game I remember very well. What a shambles that was!!! The less said the better. Shortly after cam Sousas finest moment. Wolves V QPR at Loftus Road on Sky Tv. I remember QPR fans did not know what to expect, it was going to go one of two ways. We were going to play out of our skin and win or we were going to get stuffed The tension at Loftus Road was huge. Many believing this was a key must win game if we were to get into the Playoffs. What a win it turned out to be with a stunning goal from Rowly. I along with the majority of fans were buzzing after that game
    The playoffs were back on track-well so we thaught.

After this it began to go a bit sour for Sousa. To many draws came our way. In argubly our easiest period of the season around Christmas we had our worst run of form. We failed to beat lowly Charlton away and Coventry and Watford at home. The dream began to seap away.

Our away form was shocking all year. Looking back I dont see why we just didnt go out and attack away from home-chances are we would have ended up with a lot more points than we did in the end. It wasnt just the away tactics. At home we were playing a very boring brand of football. In fact in some games we failed to have a shot on target let alone score. This in turn began to split the crowd and negativity started to fill Loftus Road. Booing was not uncommon to hear.

Following on came a few away games were Sousa had a chance to get the fans back on his side. He began at Derby were new signing Routledge bagged a goal and set up another for Legs. Then at blackpool came another away victory. Playoffs back on?

We hadnt learnt our lesson. QPR were not consistent!! Then came some more poor results including loosing a victory away at Nottingham Forest. And of course the fatal blow was hit when we lost at home to Norwich. That to me signalled the end of the season.

Shortly after came the termination of Contract of sousa. Again this has caused mixed opinions. While he talked a very good game I just found his football awful to watch. There were far to many draws. Maybe with time he could have improved but Im not going to loose sleep on the fact he wont be managing the R's again.

That really for me was the season over. We enjoyed good wins against Bristal City and Sheffield Wednesday but drew against Plymouth and lost to Wolves and Preston.

Looking back on the season it was terribly dissapointing. I really did expect big things, all this hype created by the owners really hasnt helped. 'a new era is starting, be part of it' really did have many people digging deap into their wallets. Were did it go wrong? For me all of the foreign signings were not helpful but mainly I think the appointment of Dowie. Things were never going to work out well with him and flav! Him being sacked led to the start of unconsitnecy which come the end of the season most certinally contributed to us not making the playoffs. Where would we have finished with Dowie?? Who knows but I certinally think higher than we did!!

So were back to square one. Pre season. After a good win at the Weekend we are starting to get our positivity back. Magilton, while I did not want him, is starting to win me along with other fans over. Good luck to the fella.

We have to get our transfers right this time. While Faurlin sounds good I really to fear another Parejo. I would have much rather seen the money speant on Tarrabt or Beckford.

Looking forward we still need another two strong strikers(good ones), a fullback,(maybe 2) and another creative midfeilder. Who knows what to expect next year, but if its anything like this year its going to be one hell of a rollercoaster!!!

Thanks for reading-URRRRSSSSSSSS
    Now, Then, Forever
    [CENTER]QPR-Football League CHAMPIONS

Thanks for your review James ... My slant on the coming season, I feel Rangers will finish higher than last year - Jim and John need to be given time to put their own mark on the club. It's really no good Flav getting the hump with them in November and doing the 'Spanish archer' by the 3rd round of the FA Cup! Were talking about Queens Park Rangers, things WILL go '####-up' at some stage during the season - That's when the QPR board need to be strong ... by NOT having the knee jerk reactions that haunted the club last year with managerial sackings!

Stability throughout the whole club, both playing staff, and internal staff, will be the key to our season ahead - I felt the atmosphere at Loftus Road, last season, was well below par! Granted the ST prices had a lot to do with that. Myself, along with several other Rangers (OneQPR), spoke with the Rangers board, voicing our concerns .... they've NOT taken note, and that really is END OF - Now we have to move on, and just hope, that the fans who've always supported QPR can dig deep to carry on supporting the club they love.

I do feel QPR could maybe just make/sneek into the play-offs. We have a decent squad .. a young squad ..... good as any in this very tough division. At this moment, all the noise coming out of Loftus Road is very possitive. I honestly feel the appointment of JM and JG is a good one!
    If Jim can eventually have the impact on QPR, that his fellow countryman has had at Villa Park, well then, we're onto a winning mentality eh!
    Birch is back with us, on the coaching staff with Steve Gallen and the QPR youth team. The reintroduction of the Red n' Black Hooped kit for Rangers away, it's the fan-base choice .... add to that, the white shorts for Rangers home kit, and Dexter staying for at least this season, to mention just a few small points, all points to QPR starting on the right foot for season 2009/10.

I'm really, really, looking forward to the Blackpool match - I feel it's a winnable match. I also have this feeling, that we as Rangers fans, are going to see the best football, the type we've not seen since Gigi's departure!

Come On You R's!!
    R.I.P Steve Edwards, Neil Roberts & Trevor Kingham
    Our "BROTHERS in HOOPS"

Comment

Agree with everything you say Joe
      Now, Then, Forever

Comment

2 good posts, lets have more like these please
        I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

At last, the positivity is back, come on you R'sss!!!
          We're Queens Park Rangers, we rule supreme

Comment

Originally posted by Cambs Hoops View Post
            2 good posts, lets have more like these please
            Originally posted by qpr_yuley View Post
            At last, the positivity is back, come on you R'sss!!!
            Glad you like-more to come soon
            Now, Then, Forever

Comment

Working...
            X