How big/small a club are we?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How big/small a club are we?

Just because we have lower average home gates than most others doesn't mean we are a small club. Or does it?

I recall us having similar home crowds to Norwich only a few years ago - look at their gates now. Reading, Cardiff and Fulham used to have pitiful attendances but get more than we do at home now. Are these bigger clubs than QPR?

According to media sources, we have one of the highest 'World' subscriptions in the entire country. Also we have always had an exceptionally high amount of calls on Clubcall. Now I know that these factors alone don't mean we are a big club, but amongst other factors they lead me to believe that we have a much greater fan base than our home gates suggest.

In my opinion we have an above average away attendance at most games. I have watched our support grow and grow particularly away from home since the early 80's when we were in my opinion perceived to be a much 'smaller' club due to our away following.

Look at what we have brought to games previously. Would other Championship clubs have brought similar crowds to these?:

60000 QPR fans at Wembley in 86
    33000 QPR fans at Millenium stadium v Cardiff
    14000 at Wimbledon away in FA Cup

Would we have sold out the away ends at Burnley, Reading, Sheffield United and Preston in last weeks Play Off Semi Finals? Did those other clubs sell out the away ends?

Just what potential support does QPR have? Discuss......

We can be big, as Fulham have proved. Even 20 years ago the Team on the Fulham Road were getting 10,000.

Its an entertainment business, majority will go and watch matches when we are playing top teams and doing well. The club will also attract new supporters.

WE will have no problem filling 25,000 if we were in the premiership. just look at Stoke, Watford, Charlton, Reading and Wigan in recent years.
    ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
    THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Norwich fans aren't being entertained but will turn out in greater numbers than we will. Entertainment is one factor but our home support could be so much greater than our current gates suggest. We were getting nearly 16000 at home v Hartlepool only a few years ago in the third tier of English football. In my opinion we could easily double that if the ground allowed, should we reach the Premiership.

Comment

we have never been a big club

most teams for big games take a big following

can we become a big club? yes. will we? who knows

our core fanbase is not big enough to call ourselves a big club.

look at leeds in league 1 and getting big crowds. that is a big club. could you see us getting 25000 in league 1. we would really struggle to get 25000 in the prem.

Comment

too many armchairs supporters in my opinion

we didnt have any attendance issues when we was in the prem

fair enough that was a while ago but as with most clubs there will be always be supporters who claim to support a team but never attend matches

i would much rather have the rangers fans who supported us in the past rather than the jonny come latelys which can be seen in an ammundance down the road at chelscum and fulham

Comment

We were regularly gettng 16 and 17000 under Holloway in what is now termed League 1.

Comment

can you call yourself a big club if you have sold around 3000 season tickets?

Comment

We barely took 150 to Burnley on a Saturday afternoon and about the same amount to Cardiff (Tuesday night).

Of course people come out for the big games, doesn't make them fans though. Most of them would be family and friends who probably "support" Arsenal from their armchairs the rest of the time.

Don't really know what this obsession with being a 'big' club is all about really, we are what we are. Quite well known and renowned for playing the game the right way.

Comment

filling 25000 in the premier does not make you a big club, filling 40000 plus stadium does.
                  Our history is i'm sad to say in the lower leagues. we are a championship size team that has sometimes fought above its weight. We can do it again but it will take Money and a great manager

Comment

Originally posted by pyrford ranger View Post
                    filling 25000 in the premier does not make you a big club, filling 40000 plus stadium does.
                    Our history is i'm sad to say in the lower leagues. We are a championship size team that has sometimes fought above its weight. We can do it again but it will take money and a great manager
                    spot on.
                    I might not agree with what you say,
                    but i will defend your right to say it.

Comment

Its a matter of opinion , Newcastle think there a massive club, yes they have a massive support but to me there not a big club. I think we are a small club even in our prime we were a selling club, we've always been a selling club in the 90s under Francis we had to sell that wonderful side bit by bit. Agree if we go up we could be a Fulham type club , forget Chelsea as no way will any other board through as much money at a team than the Russian.

Comment

I think we're a medium club
                        We're Queens Park Rangers, we rule supreme

Comment

When you say big club i think barca, man utd, liverpool etc etc.....

Id say were fairly big, i know alot of people who are QPR fans (not in London) and i allways seem to bump into people who say oh my dads a qpr fan, or o yeah i used to go watch qpr when i was younger.... Think we lost alot of people when we went down from the prem, im confident they will come back though when we get back up....

I also agree we could fill a 25,000 stadium easy.
                          Cant believe it, ive been PWOPER MUGGED ORF...

Comment

I think we have a lot of lapsed fans,or fans who never go to games.If you go from Shepherds Bush West as far as about Uxbridge-that whole area contains loads and loads of Rangers fans,who may well start going/return,if and only if we are promoted.I honestly believe we are a bigger club than Fulham.

Comment

We are on par with the Portsmouths of the world. Our average gate the last time were in the premier was crap - no way would we fill out a 25000 stadium week in and week out especially in this climate and with our prices.
                              "Originally Posted by qblockpete
                              QPR will finish at least in the Play offs
                              Swansea will finish in bottom 6
                              Middlesboro will finish champions"

Comment

Working...
                              X