Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Price of Strikers

This is QPR related but bare with me:

Last summer Bristol City paid Crewe £2.25m for Nicky Maynard. A 22 year old striker who had scored 15 in 27 matches the previous season in League One. A few weeks earlier Burnley paid Scunny £1.1m for Martin Paterson who scored 14 goals in their relegation season but in the Championship. Maynard scored 11 this season whereas Paterson scored 19.

Did Bristol City pay too much or did Scunny sell for too little? Are clubs willing to pay more in desperation?

If Celtic and Leicester are interested in Swindon's Simon Cox then this will surely increase his value and therefore the £1.5m estimate might not be enough to get "our" man. With Southampton in a terrible financial situation would we not be better positioned to sign David McGoldrick for a cheaper price?

Your totally right mate, i do worry interest from other clubs, i.e. big clubs like Celtic will put the value up abit, and my worry is if this is the case its likely we will have to pay 2.5million. I just wonder if the board will pay that much.

In fairness to the board they need us to buy season tickets to warrant paying so much for one player. We all laugh and say well there billionaires, but a few million ON 1 PLAYER is alot of cash if there not getting much of a return.....
    Obv promotion would bring in whats reported to be around the 60 million mark, but a large chunk of that would then have to be spent to stay up and compete.

I really hope we get this lad though, could really be the missing piece to the puzzel imo, with service from Buzsaky, vine, and cook/Tarrabt if we get him and the likes of ephraim we could see a goal fest!!!!!

Cox and Lita would make me a happy ranger!!! u'rssssssssssss!!
    Cant believe it, ive been PWOPER MUGGED ORF...

Comment

I see where you're coming from SPC. However, some might argue that Patterson was playing in a better side, so scored more goals. Then you could counter that maybe Patterson contributed to making Burnley a better side.......

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
        I see where you're coming from SPC. However, some might argue that Patterson was playing in a better side, so scored more goals. Then you could counter that maybe Patterson contributed to making Burnley a better side.......
        Bristol City were the play off losing finalists and Burnley just made the top half last season so City were the better team. Maynard cost double and had no experience of Championship football which is why I ask did they pay too much or did Scunny sell for too little?

Comment

I meant the season just gone, the season the two strikers you mention scored 11 and 19 goals respectively.

Comment

We could spend up to 3 million (maybe 3.5 million) for two strikers this summer.
            ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
            THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Originally posted by qblockpete View Post
              We could spend up to 3 million (maybe 3.5 million) for two strikers this summer.
              The sale of Dex and Camp (Plus the Wages saved on both) should be able to fund a decent bid for Cox surely.

Comment

I reckon Cox will be sold before we even have a manager, let alone let players go. We'll be too late as usual. (sorry guys not in a positive mood tonight)

Comment

Originally posted by qblockpete View Post
                  we could spend £100m on the squad this summer.....

sadly theres as much chance of that as there is of us spending £3m on strikers

Comment

Go in with a Decent Bid now and it might be hard for Swindon to turn down.

Comment

As SPC is saying, caertain players might be more of a risk than others. Cox may not be able to make the step up and for a similar amount of monet it might be better going for a player who has scored ok at CCC level but with a not so good side. Personally I would look to spend our say £3m on two strikes from the CCC such as Priskin or Staed plus either McGoldrick,, Smith or Gray. A combination of two of those should get us 30+ goals for £2.5 ish mill, plus they are all quite young.
                      RIP: Doug, Sniffer and Pat

Comment

Working...
                      X