The History Of QPR Managers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The History Of QPR Managers

What were your memories of them before they signed for QPR?

Was Sexton everyone's choice?

Did we think Wilkins would do a good job?

Anyone who took the job, that before they signed you were enthralled about?

Gerry Francis first time around?

More recently, Dowie or Sousa?
    ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
    THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Venables had a good record in his first job at Palace and ex R's legend...

Francis was a "wunderkind" from his work at Bristol Rovers and being a genuine legend and England captain helped. That said, Howe hadn't done anything to deserve the boot, only that Thompson fancied Francis - who had turned down other top flight roles to come to LR.

Jim Smith had a tremendous track record at Oxford...

Trevor Francis was a weird one at the time - untried and very much not in Thompson's normal modus operandii

Bobby Gould and Don Howe were brought in to do a job (save us from relegation) - some mutterings about Gould's style at Wimbledon, but again v. successful.

I remember quite a few kicking up a stink about Mullery when really, Alan Harris should have got the job at the time (and he wanted it and was annoyed that Gregory didn't give him a shot).

Dowie was a disappointment given the pronouncements by Bhatia and Briatore during last close season but would've done a sound job and probably nailed a play off spot if both parties ego's could have been laid to one side. Sousa was exciting and had potential

Comment

i was excited by Sousa appointment and tbh felt QPR were a bit privileged to have an up and coming manager like Sousa.

Comment

Agree with what vblockranger said...

Comment

i made my own league of managers i put it like this
          VENABLES
          JIM SMITH
          GERRY FRANCIS
          IAN HOLLOWAY
          DAVE SEXTON
          ALEC STOCK
          GORDON JAGO
          TOM DOCHERTY
          DON HOWE
          TREVOR FRANCIS

these are based on there ability to bring youngsters through and there ability to wheel and deal in the transfer marke

venables at number one would be even better now because as manchester united have found in alex fergusion experience is king

but have gianni and flav got the technology to get it right

Comment

I went to a fans meeting or similar many years ago just after Gerry Francis had left as manager and one of the guests speaking was Iain Dowie who if I was the Chairman of QPR that day I would have begged him to become the new manager such was the passion and common sense he spoke.

Comment

best manager for me..el tel...FA CUP FINAL AND REPLAY v a top spurs side, and we should've won..romped div2 next year then 4 the in div1 and into uefa cup..

gerry francis...so close to being a trophy winning side..revered,respected

olly...got us up on peanuts...think of what he had on day one, old div3!!!!!!!!!!!
              that friendly v celtic 0-2 and no one knew a player.

i was too young for sexton, but what a record he has at every level
              alec stock...legend.
              gordon jago?? i don't know enough

WORST...I WILL ALWAYS HATE JIM SMITH, COS OF OXFORD, HE BIGGED UP THEM BEFORE MILK CUP FINAL, NO WONDER WE LOST 3-0 IN A ****POOR GAME FROM US..
              then that houston/rioch disaster
              then ray harford.

Comment

What were your memories of them before they signed for QPR?

Was Sexton everyone's choice? - Too young to know

Did we think Wilkins would do a good job? Got the impression he was the unanimous desired choice

Anyone who took the job, that before they signed you were enthralled about?

Gerry Francis first time around? - sure.

More recently, Dowie or - No not really inspiring at all.

Sousa? Expected a yes man. Didn't get that, but got someone obsessed with static formations instead.

Was excited about Holloway, and De Canio.

Comment

Jim Smith was a very low point, but Mullery was truly shocking.
                  We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are...

Comment

I think I was about nine when my uncle introduced me to Queen's Park Rangers. Gordon Jago was the boss, so his arrival at the club completely passed me by, but when Jago left, I remember being a little more than disappointed. We had a good side when Jago was boss, he laid the foundations for Dave Sexton's success at Loftus Rd.
                    Strangely, of all the players we had at that time, including recent signing, Stan Bowles, Terry Mancini was a particular favourite of mine, dunno why! ;D

Comment

the one manager i felt did a great job was a certain donald howe...........check his stats!
                      you know nothing john snow!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X