Just Back on the Island...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Back on the Island...

Having literally just woke up this morning, here is my final report on this season.

Having got up to leave at 4:00 am yesterday morning, I was absolutely shattered when I finally reached the ground. I'm never good with early mornings at the best of times!

We took to our seats at the top of the away stand, and having missed the warm up, we just caught the players running out onto the pitch. The first thing that struck me, was that we were wearing our new away shirt. I have to say, I thought it looked just excellent. Seeing the players come out in the familiar 'Dennis the Menace' shirts were brilliant, and with wholly white lettering/numbering - it really did look classy.

As the teams were read out, there were a couple of surprises. It goes without saying that Cerny was in goal, while Delaney was restored at left back, Connolly and Gorkss were paired alongside each other in the centre, with Ramage completing the back four.

The midfield consisted of Ephraim on the left hand side, Leigertwood and Mahon in the middle, and Routledge on the right hand side.

One real positive for me personally though, was that we started with Agyemang and Vine up front. I think we have desperately missed their partnership this season - last year they were both just breathtaking... I was hoping for more of the same.

As the game kicked off, Ainsworth had clearly given the player's free reign... and some of the passing was very promising in the early stages. We did have a fright within the first few minutes, after a long ball up field to the beastly figure of Jon Parking, he prodded the ball out wide to his right. As Delaney couldn't prevent the cross, the ball flew in past the goalmouth at real pace, and just evaded Mellor. Had it got a touch - it would likely have been a certain goal.

While not creating a chance at goal for the opening few minutes, we were causing Preston some real problems. Vine looked like he was back to his very best at this stage of the game, and he was running at defender after defender. He clearly had them on awares, and after picking the ball up from midfield, he jinked his way past one defender and looked to play out wide to Ephraim. He was hauled to the ground by Jones though, and the referee rightly booked him.

Agyemang was also on the end of some aggressive challenges, and how the referee didn't book more of them is beyond me.

There must have been at least 3 'tackles' which involved elbows and grappling to the floor, but the referee didn't seem to see anything wrong with any of them... quite amazing.

Undettered, we continued to pour forward. After yet another long punt up field towards Parkin, Connolly managed to squirm his way round him and won back possession. His precisioned pass forwards found Mahon, and he in turn fed Leigertwood. As he turned along the half way line, the Preston defence were caught off guard. As Vine and Agyemang made diagonal runs off the defenders, Leigertwood continued to probe forward... and as the defence were caught in two minds whether to tackle him or track both our strikers, he unleashed a thunderous drive at goal which narrowly flew over the crossbar. He must have been about 30 yards out - forget Rowlands goal of the season, had this one hit the back of the net, it would have won it hands down!

The timeless reaction of "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" when a shot goes wide/over wasn't there from the Preston fans, and they just held their heads in their hands... it was that close!

Preston had another fright shortly after. Ramage found Routledge on the right hand side of the pitch, and he coolly jogged towards the goal on the line. As the defender held his ground, Routledge shot the ball past him down the line, and blasted past him. The defender stumbled back to stop him, but his raw pace left him with no chance. As Routledge got to the by line, he cut inside and squared the ball to Vine. His connection was weak though, and the ball went comfortably into the grateful Lonergen's hands. Needless to say, here the sound of "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh" was present. Very good opportunity and Vine should really have tucked it away.

It was shortly after that news filtered through (via QPR fan's mobiles), that Burnley had taken the lead. The home fan's that had been singing "We're going to Wembley" were hushed into silence by a taunting chant of "You're NOT going to Wembley!" We also sang "Burnley, Burnley, Burnley!" The look of confusion on their faces was a picture, but they seemed to finally realize that as it stood - they wouldn't be in those playoffs. We then launched into a tirade of witty chants that infuriated the home support (see chants of game at bottom of page).

Our chants were ever so nearly shoved back down our throats though. Whaley found himself clear of Ramage on the right hand side, without any hesitation he struck a firm shot at goal... Cerny had already dived to his left, and the ball cannoned off of a defender and flew back up into the air... time almost stood still as Cerny could only watch the ball spinning down... fortunately it only hit the top of the net though, and they were awarded a corner kick.

The noise in the ground was again cranked up, and as the corner came in, Cerny managed to get a hand on it and punch it back out. Unfortunately the ball went straight back out to the corner kick taker. As he curled the ball back into the box, fortunately it evaded every player and went out for a goal kick.

In typical QPR fashion, we then found ourselves a goal down in bizarre circumstances. As has been the case for pretty much all season, we were our own worst enemy. We had a goal kick, and Cerny seemed to want to take it quickly. He poked the ball to Gorkss on the edge of the area, which caught him completely wrong footed. 'The Beast' Jon Parkin ran onto it like he was running for his next dinner, and he must have been licking his lips at what had presented itself. After rounding Cerny he slid the ball into the back of the net from a tight angle, and gave Preston a 1-0 lead!

As he plodded off into the corner (his gut bulging out everywhere), the Preston fans went absolutely wild... and the chance of sneaking a playoff place was now a real possibility for them. Our chant of "You're still not going up" was completely drowned out by the roar of the home fans.

They were again on their feet what must have been a matter of minutes later. As Delaney was caught out of position, a free cross was drilled into the box. Nobody could seem to clear it from danger, and it seemed to be bouncing around the goal mouth like a ping pong ball. It eventually fell to a Preston player (not sure who), but his shot was weak and easily smothered by Cerny. What a huge relief!

As the referee blew time on the first half, we certainly didn't deserve to be a goal down - and would have been good value for at least a point... possibly even more. There were some very positive signs though, we just couldn't put the ball in the back of the net.

I have been very critical that loaning Blackstock out was a stupid mistake, and personally I still maintain that it was. BUT, I have to say the movement of both Vine and Agyemang was very good indeed. Sad to say, Blackstock doesn't have that kind of effect. But with the movement of the current front two, it was giving the likes of Ephraim and particularly Routledge acres of space on the flanks.

Overall though, I was pretty happy with the first half.

The second half started with us firmly on the front foot. The first chance came to Ephraim on the left hand side. As Leigertwood flighted a ball across the pitch, Ephraim killed the ball dead with his first touch. As he sprinted towards goal, the defence backed off and backed off... and he sent a beautiful curling shot just past the top right hand post. Lonergan could only stand and watch, and had it been a matter of inches more central - we would have drawn level in stylish fashion. But we didn't have to wait much longer to finally get our goal though...

It was the duo of Vine and Agyemang at the heart of the move, and as had been the case for the latter part of last season - their telepathic understanding was clear for all to see. It started when Leigertwood robbed Preston of possession in the heart of midfield. He played the ball to Vine on the edge of the box. As he swayed left and right, Agyemang ran off of him and darted into the box... Vine spotted the run and slid a great ball through to him, as the defence were left flat footed... Agyemang took one touch to look up, and the next he slid under the helpless Lonergen. 1-1!

Looking over to our right hand side, and the fans that had been so cocksure of Wembley were now left seething. One man who had been leading the chants (while winning), booted the chair in front - and really hurt himself. It was hilarious watching this 40+ year old sat down rubbing his wounded foot, especially as he seemed more intent at hurling abuse at us for the game, as opposed to actually watching the football itself!

The QPR fans who charged towards them waving fists and celebrating, only fuelled their anger... how I will miss this for the next couple of month's!

We were grateful to Cerny for keeping the tie level shortly after though. After St Ledger found space on the edge of the box, he sent a stinging shot destined for the right hand post at goal. Cerny flew across his goalmouth, and somehow managed to tip the ball round the post for a corner kick. It was an exceptional stop.

The resulting corner was flighted in deep, and as Cerny managed to flap it clear, it was again sent into the box... but we just managed to clear from safety.

The noise around Deepdale then exploded. News that got to them that Cardiff were a goal behind, and they had another chance of sneaking into the playoffs. Up until this stage, we had looked very good. But whether it was due to Preston's burning desire to get a win - or us just capitulating under the pressure of the home fans I don't know... but from this stage it was all Preston.

The closest they came was around what I guess was the 65th minute mark. As they flooded forward for a corner kick, Connolly managed to get to the ball first and head it clear. It sat up beautifully for McKenna though, and he sent a full blooded drive at goal which clipped the outside of the post. As he ran back looking up at the sky, you did feel that it would be a matter of time before they got their winner.

The winning goal came shortly after. As they were awarded a throw in down by the corner flag, Parkin signalled for everyone to get in the box. He hurled a Rory Delap like throw into the box. Cerny rushed from his goal line, but was beaten to it by the deluge of players in the box... and as it fell to St Ledger he made no mistake in heading it goal wards. My initial reaction was that Connolly had cleared it from under the goal, but in fact it had crept in and Preston had taken the lead.

Now they did have one foot firmly in the playoffs, and they knew it.

Ainsworth tried to shake it up, and brought on Balanta for Mahon. With his threat added to the front line, we then started to push forward. But for a few last ditch tackles we might have nicked a leveller. As the clock ticked down, the 4th official indicated that we would have 3 minutes injury time. The Preston fans all heaved towards the edge of the pitch, clearly intend on running on to celebrate their win.

We were awarded a corner kick in what was the last 30 seconds. As we had nothing to lose, we threw caution to the wind and Cerny was even up there. As Routledge clipped it in, Connolly managed to rise above everyone and head it into the far corner of the goal. Lonergan was rooted firmly to his spot, and we thought we had levelled with the last kick. But antagonising, they had a player on the goal line and he headed it clear of danger.

I'm not bitter, but how sweet it would have been to watch those fans that were ready to invade the pitch in ecstasy, head back home with their heads held low... Ok I'm a little bitter. Watching West Brom celebrate winning the title at Loftus Road last year, watching Wolves celebrate promotion this year, and now watching Preston clinch a play off place this year... how much more do we have to endure!!

As the Preston fans invaded the pitch on the full time , Ainsworth ran over to applaud our support. While thumping his badge, he bowed at us about 5 times, and with "One Gareth Ainsworth" ringing in his ears, he stood there for a good couple of minutes thanking us for our support. For all of our disappointment with players attitude towards us fans recently, at both the 'lap of honour' and 'Loyalty Points evening' how fortunate we are to have someone like Ainsworth on board. His thanks is anything but hollow, and his appreciation for us just goes such a long way to restoring any lost pride in our club. I had a 10 and a half hour round trip yesterday, but it's just things like this that make it worth doing.

Ephraim also managed to bundle his way past the Preston fans on the pitch, and stood clapping for a good few minutes. I had to shoot off, so others may have come across also, but I didn't see them.

In summary of the game though, I really thought we deserved something. From the moment that Cardiff went a goal behind, it was almost as if we stopped playing. But up until that stage, I thought we had played very well... certainly a considerable amount better than we did last week against Plymouth. It left me feeling quite positive about next season, we just need to have time to gel.

Player Ratings -

Cerny - There was almost a feeling of de ja vue about his performance, and that of Lee Camp's last season against Norwich (ironically both on the last away game of the season), in that they have a fairly spotless season - then just fall apart. His shot stopping was as good as ever, but his handling of any crosses into the box was frightening. Preston clearly picked up onto it, and made us pay for it. I don't know what Cerny was thinking for the first goal?! The second he was protesting that he was fouled, but even with my blue tinted spec's I didn't see anything wrong with it. We have to put it in perspective though, and he has had a tremendous first season after a shaky start. I'll put it down purely to an off day, and I'm 100% sure he will be back as good as ever next season.

Ramage - Steady performance from him. Didn't offer an awful lot coming forward, but was resilient in defence and didn't really put a foot wrong. Fed Routledge with plenty of possession, and overall had a pretty good game.

Connolly - Started the game as brilliant as ever. Won a fair amount in the air, and also played the ball out of defence really well. He did look a frustrated figure as the game wore on, and made a couple of mistakes which we could have been punished for. He has showed recently what a top class player he is, by playing all across the back line. I do wish that we could just decide on where to play him... and stick with it. But he is that good that no matter where he is, he will do a job for us. Brilliant season from him.

Gorkss - I still don't know who was to blame for the first goal, but I am edging towards Cerny. Overall he had a fairly good game though, if uninspiring. After Cardiff went a goal behind, he was put under extreme pressure... but dealt with pretty much everything thrown his way. Like Connolly, what a terrific season he has had!

Delaney - Absolutely furious with him! In the first half he was OK. The second half he was just shocking. I found myself asking if he was even playing for us, and by that I mean he didn't actually look bothered to fight for the cause. Whether he knows he will be off at the end of the season or not I don't know... But I truly do hope that he is! Yesterday, the amount Ephraim had to cover for him was just mind boggling. I wish a manager could just tell him that HE IS NOT a left winger/supporting striker. He seems to throw all of his defensive duties out of the window, and seems more happy to do a little step over than just cross the ball into the box! An appalling performance, and an appalling season from him. Needs replacing ASAP!

Routledge - Would probably just sneak it as our Man of the Match IMO. His trickery and pace was just irresistible, and more suited to the top flight than the Coca Cola Championship. I just begged that he was given more of the ball, he was just superb. Tracked back a fair amount, but what an option to have on the right hand side. People have complained about his treatment of fans, but I seriously couldn't care in the slightest when he play's like this.

Leigertwood - Bossed the midfield alongside Mahon. Again, as was the case with pretty much every player, he seemed to go into hiding when Preston flooded forward. But some of his long range passing was just a joy to watch. He won back possession countless times, and was a rock in the middle of the pitch. Nearly scored a cracking goal too.

Mahon - See above. Like Leigertwood, he provided great cover across the back. Always on hand, and sprayed the ball out wide to the wingers a fair amount. Text book Mahon performance.

Ephraim - Bit of a quiet game by his standards. Plenty of tricks on show, but lacked a cutting edge. Did provide us with great width though, and showed that he can play on the wing as opposed to the middle. Like Leigertwood, he nearly scored a cracking goal but it wasn't to be. Acknowledged the travelling fans, and got a great send off.

Vine - Hmmm. Sadly enough, the first 20 minutes to half hour I was thinking to myself... I can't wait to write about him today! He just looked brilliant, he was out on the left, out on the right, cutting in, feeding Agyemang. He did tire as the game went on, but his movement was very smart. The Preston defenders were rarely given a break, and he was always chipping away at them. Really hope that we will see a fully fit Vine next season... the glimpses of the Vine of old are certainly there.

Agyemang - Delighted for him to get a goal, especially as it was against his former club. He chased a fair amount, and finished his goal very well... But I think he would even accept he isn't fully fit yet. But it wasn't for the want of trying, and I think we have badly missed him these last few months. Like Vine his movement was very good, and his pace was always a threat coming forward.

Subs -

Balanta - Didn't have an awful lot of time, but had a few nice touches. In honesty, he saw very little of the ball and couldn't really make an impact.

German - Not enough time to do anything. Chased the ball but didn't do much.

Chants of the game (had a real laugh at some of these) -

"No trip to Wembley!"
    "Wembley's too big for you!"
    "London's too big for you!"
    "Come on Burnley!"
    "Que sera sera, whatever will be will be... you're NOT going to Wembley!"

Also on the note of chants, the fans on our right all seemed aged about 15/20 years of age... and we let them know.

"Is your homework done?! Is your homework done?!" They laughed and clapped at that.

"Where's your mobile phone?" They all waved their phone at us

As I come to the conclusion of this report, I think this has been a terbulant season from start to finish for us. It promised much, but in the end delivered relatively little. The highlights for me would have to be the trips to Villa and Old Trafford.

One positive that I will take from it though, is that the nucleus of that squad is capable of promotion... without a doubt. We aren't far from being a real force in this division, we just need tweaking in certain areas. Namely a new left back, and a new striker (or two).

With the right man in charge, and assuming that he is given a fair crack of the whip, next year could be the one. I hope the player's do believe it too, because at times this season we have really excelled... we just need to be more consistent.

Can I also just say thankyou to everyone that has read various reports I have written this season, and the comments/PM's I have received has made it all well worth it.

Hope you all have a lovely summer, and in 3 month's we can all do it again!!

Thank you,

SM1882

Enjoyed reading that, big thanks.:exciting:
    They seek him here.................

Comment

you

sm thanks so very much for these reports its allmost like being there with your
      fabulous reports
      you are a very tallented man who has actually enhanced our site please
      continue next season
      FANTASIC STUFF GOOD READ

Comment

brilliant, thanks alot
        We're Queens Park Rangers, we rule supreme

Comment

Thanks alot for the comments guys

Comment

keep them coming, for next season

Your reports and The Modfather previews and reports add much to this site.
            ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
            THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

The report is a bit too concise IMHO, please try and elaborate next time.
              Banning people is no longer my hobby,
              but take a look at my photo blog:

http://kirillqpr.blogspot.com/

How and why did I start supporting QPR in Estonia:
              http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/blog.php?b=852

Comment

Working...
              X