Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Power loses his court case

Just seen this via indyrs, posted by fans spokesman Paul Finney

Have not seen or spoke to Bill since after the other court case when he came out for a drink with Me, Dave Morris and a few others.
    Did not even know what this was all about.

Town success in Power's High Court bid
    4:22pm Friday 1st May 2009
    FORMER Swindon Town investor Bill Power has suffered a setback in his High Court battle to retrieve more than £1million he ploughed into the club three years ago.

A judge ruled that, when Power and business partner Phil Emmel put the cash into holding company, Swindon Town F.C. Ltd in 2006, it was "a loan", not "an investment" as the club claimed.

However, Judge Gavin Kealey QC refused to make the club itself liable to repay the money and, as the holding company is now in administration, the ruling means Power and Emmel will have to wait in line with other creditors.

The judge rejected the pair's plea that the club would be "unjustly enriched" if it was not held liable for the debts of the holding company, which sold its controlling interest in the club last year and was put into administration in March 2008.

Swindon Town's new shareholders have, said Judge Kealey, made "significant financial resources available" to the club which has, in the past, suffered serious financial woes - despite £14 milion worth of support from Sir Seton Wills and his family over the years.

Judge Kealey said that, from February 2002 onwards, the club was in a Company Voluntary Arrangement and was "balance sheet insolvent". It narrowly avoided a winding up petition in 2004 and, for many years, depended on the generosity of the Wills family to survive.

The holding company was incorporated in 2003, with Sir Seton's son, James Wills, holding 66.6% of the shares, but the club's serious financial difficultes continued. By early 2006, the club had no substantial assets, it did not even own its own ground, and it had immediate debts of between £900,000 to £1 million, including in respect of PAYE and VAT.

By that stage, the judge added, "the Wills family had made it clear that it was not prepared to contribute any more".

Power and Emmel, who were shareholders in Queen's Park Rangers, were contacted "as a potential source of much-needed investment" through former QPR chief executive, Mark Devlin, who by then worked for Swindon Town.

The pair agreed to part with £1 million, in two equal tranches, and Judge Kealey rejected Swindon Town's arguments that the money was an "investment", rather than a returnable "loan".

However, the judge handed victory to the club when he also ruled: "I am of the clear view that the loan agreements which, of necessity, are to be implied, were, objectively analysed, with Holdings and not with the club."

Power and Emmel had also argued that the club should itself be held liable to repay their money as, otherwise, it would be "unjustly enriched".

But the judge concluded: "It seems to me, however, that any restitutionary claim against the club in respect of both payments should fail.

"The result is that, for the reasons which I have given, Mr Power's and Mr Emmel's claim ... against the club fails".

Power and Devlin were both seriously injured in August 2006 when a private aeroplane crashed as it was flying them back from a Swindon away match at Hartlepool. Mr Power was in hospital, or being cared for at home, for six months under constant medical care.

Mr Devlin's injuries prevented him from returning to the club until November 2006 "whereupon his employment was suspended, eventually being brought to an end in February of the following year", said Judge Kealey.

After hearing numerous witnesses from all sides in the case, which stretched over six days at the High Court, the judge said all of them had done their "honest best to assist the court and to give a truthful account of the facts
    Last edited by ScottJones; 01-05-2009, 06:01 PM.
    Running the London Marathon for the Down's Syndrome Association....

Visit my charity page here

Always had time for BP and I hope he comes out of this ok though I am confused about the reporting as I am sure Bill was not a shareholder at QPR when he got involved with Swindon.

Perhaps someone can clarify this as I am sure it would be against league rules etc?

Report where are you,I am sure you have the answer regarding a mutual pal?

Comment

Pretty sure Bill and Devlin were fired at the end of 2005, and this was 2006, so nothing dodgy whatsoever. Well, apart from Bill's drinking buddies of course!

Comment

mmm and some of our current board have perfect pasts don't they...
        "Originally Posted by qblockpete
        QPR will finish at least in the Play offs
        Swansea will finish in bottom 6
        Middlesboro will finish champions"

Comment

Originally posted by ScottJones View Post
          Pretty sure Bill and Devlin were fired at the end of 2005, and this was 2006, so nothing dodgy whatsoever. Well, apart from Bill's drinking buddies of course!
          I dont recall Bill ever being sacked at QPR mate or at least I certainly hope he wasnt as the man has Blue and White blood running through his veins though admitedly that has not helped some recent employees :(

As I said earlier it must be shoddy reporting.

Comment

Originally posted by IsleworthRanger View Post
            I dont recall Bill ever being sacked at QPR mate or at least I certainly hope he wasnt as the man has Blue and White blood running through his veins though admitedly that has not helped some recent employees :(

He basically was, "vote of no confidence", the infamous Dunga jetting in from Japan (or china?) to oust him. Twas a "coup" as such.

Sure the bloke is an R, shame he invested (now lost) so much in Swindon

Comment

Originally posted by writtler View Post
              mmm and some of our current board have perfect pasts don't they...
              In the eyes of the law I expect they have unless you are implying some previous unknown misdemeaners which I am sure your not.

Do all football directors not have to pass some form of diligence test etc to prove they are suitable to run a football club?

Obviously not diligent enough as many clubs have found out to their peril but I am pretty sure they have to prove they measure up as such.

Comment

It's really harsh to say the least

I dont know how the judge could rule this way

Comment

Originally posted by Power40 View Post
                  It's really harsh to say the least

I dont know how the judge could rule this way
                  Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by IsleworthRanger View Post

What a short memory you have Beefy. It was a coup d'etat, instigated by your buddy. Dunga flown in from Japan to vote him off the board with a vote of no confidence.

Bill had his own unique style, but he was "one of us" and never deserved to be treated how he was. But he never blabbed, never bad mouthed GP/Caliendo/Dunga etc....a true gent.
                    QBP 20th August 2009..."To be fair, I'm glad we are top of the table (for agents fees). Shows we are not a selling club anymore."

Comment

Captain Clunge, maybe you should ask Bill Power instead of assuming.

I think in recent times, they have got on well.

As for BP, blue and white through and through and very well respected by all.

Isleowrth, qpr-report only posts in the blog on here for some strange reason, so hopefully we can read his views. They have met over coffee, so this story will be off interest to him.
                      ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
                      THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Clunge View Post
                        What a short memory you have Beefy. It was a coup d'etat, instigated by your buddy. Dunga flown in from Japan to vote him off the board with a vote of no confidence.

Bill had his own unique style, but he was "one of us" and never deserved to be treated how he was. But he never blabbed, never bad mouthed GP/Caliendo/Dunga etc....a true gent.
                        thats what i said innit

Comment

Originally posted by qblockpete View Post
                          Captain Clunge, maybe you should ask Bill Power instead of assuming.

I think in recent times, they have got on well.

As for BP, blue and white through and through and very well respected by all.

Isleowrth, qpr-report only posts in the blog on here for some strange reason, so hopefully we can read his views. They have met over coffee, so this story will be off interest to him.
                          No assumptions fella, just cold, hard facts.
                          QBP 20th August 2009..."To be fair, I'm glad we are top of the table (for agents fees). Shows we are not a selling club anymore."

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Clunge View Post
                            No assumptions fella, just cold, hard facts.
                            facts are good.

bp lost a court case today, thats a fact.

devlin vs. QPR is up next me thinks.

Comment

Bill power

love you bill ....so sorry you have been robbed of a million pounds,,,we at qpr know you are qpr through and through.....you got us out of a sticky period by lending us money and for that i will always be deeply greatfull to you and the wintons......all of us on this message board hope the terrible injuries you picked up in the crash can get completely healed.......god bless you bill..i know your oldest son loves this message board so if he reads this i hope he tells you that you are in everyone of our hearts

Comment

Working...
                              X