Just Back From Players Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Back From Players Forum

PLEASE DON'T TAKE EVERY WORD LITERALLY, ITS DONE BY MEMORY AND I'M DOING BY BEST TO RELAY WHAT WAS SAID

This was a loyalty evening which was brought together by the club at short notice. Unfortunately it did mean that fans that live out of London could not make it, but it did allow questions to be asked to four players and it did give them the opportunity to answer questions about the season and general feeling. Present for the meeting was

Lee Cook
    Martin Rowlands
    Gareth Ainsworth
    Damien Delaney

First of all, some questions could not be asked in regards to changes of managers, but before I give the responses to the questions, I would have to say it was Damien Delaney who went up a long way in my estimation, with honest and precise answers.

After a few general questions, it was the turn of the floor to ask.

First supporter made the point in regards to De Canio and the football we played under him, the fan said it was the best football we had seen in a number of years.

Cook, who had not played under him kept quiet, Rowlands said a little more in regards to the training being more attacking, but sometimes training was a little less intense and sometimes it was matter of just getting on with it. Ainsworth made the point that we conceded too many late goals and that we could not have played like that all season, and that season de Canio had a fit Vine, Buzsacky, rowlands and Ageymang was in the form of his life. Delaney said he got more forward with De canio, but the defensive areas were not really focused on, he enjoyed bombing down the wing, but appreciated that a happy medium needed to be found from the more defensive football we have played this season, to the attacking style we played last season.

All players were asked about the season. This is where Delaney's honesty was well appreciated by the group and applauded by the fans. Rowlands said he was not too disappointed and pointed to the fact we had played well against the so called better teams and Ainsworth agreed. Rowlands was also disappointed about the booing of certain players during the season. Delaney then piped up and said it was a totally disappointing season and that we hadn't beaten many teams below us so not too much to be happy about.

The players were asked about the stadium emptying after the Plymouth game, Rowlands said it was very strange to see a half empty stadium and he was disappointed about the fans leaving. Ainsworth said he could understand the disappointment, but the players needed our support.

I, then asked about the player of the year evening, in which I felt the players left too early. This gave martin Rowlands an opportunity to give the players side, me and others had been scathing of there departure. I understood from his reply, that this had already got back to the players. Rowlands made the point that the previous year he had left at 10.15 and this POTY they were in the hotel for a full 4 hours as a group of players until ten past eleven. He made the point, that players knew the discontent of the fans and some difficult questions would be asked and that it was easier for them to leave. I fully understand that, but did find it strange when he said they had booked a dinner elsewhere and had missed it to the late finishing of presentations at the POTY and just went to a club instead.

Ainsworth said he would ask for arrangements next season to be orgainsied so we started earlier and that everyone would be happy. He did apologise for the sponsors night for the attendees as well.

On he question of Bahrain, a positive and negative was given about its cancellation. Rowlands said that it would have been an opportunity to promote the club, but it did mean he could spend time with his daughters.

I get the impression they wanted to find a medium between the attacking style of de Canio and the more defensive side of recent managers. The point about tinkering the team was made and Ainsworth made the point that over Christmas it was thought that with Charlton bottom of the league we could win both games that and against Watford by switching the teams a little bit.

Cook said he would be doing much more strenghtening in the summer and he would have company along with Buzsacky and rowlands. Ainsworth plans to do his badges in the summer.

Highlight for Ainsworth was the Birmingham game and being in the snow and winning with 10 men.
    Highlight for Rowlands was leading the club out at Old trafford, biggest disappointment was his injury at Forest
    Highlight for Delaney was the Villa game
    highlight Cook the Preston game and his goal versus Charlton.

Delaney was not making excuses, but said the pitch was in awful state and hoped it would be sorted in time for next season. Ainsworth pointed out that our style of play was not suited to a pitch like we've had. He has another one year playing contract left and still feels he can do a job.

The players were unaware at this stage, where pre-season will be but are determined to get iot right next season. Cook or Ainsworth made the point, this season we were 3 wins and a draw away from the play offs, but with everyone fit next season, they were expecting much more.

A lady had said she followed the team away all season , but would it be worth turning up on Sunday? rowlands, said he wouldn't be playing so gave the mic to Ainsworth who responded by saying that players need the fans and the players were determined to finish on a high.

Prompting me with a question, might remind of some more of what went on !!
    ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
    THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Cheers Pete
    Running the London Marathon for the Down's Syndrome Association....

Visit my charity page here

Comment

How many fans were there at the evening?

Who else was there for the club with the players and ainsworth

Seems strange to have selected deleaney as he has had some stick this season but I am pleased he came over well.
      its New Era number 8 i tell thee, bring on the fireworks

Comment

I'd say about 100.

Never had much opportunity to speak to Delaney before, but have to say this guy was very impressive in talking straight. Certainly took me by surprise.

Billy Rice was compere and Dave Orman was present.

Night organised by??

minds gone blank, no direspect. I just cannot remember his name
        THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

cheers pete
          @chrisrobson9

Comment

agreed delaney came across so well to the fans even got a round of applause after something he said. Gone up in a lot of peoples estimations

Comment

Originally posted by qblockpete View Post
              PLEASE DON'T TAKE EVERY WORD LITERALLY, ITS DONE BY MEMORY AND I'M DOING BY BEST TO RELAY WHAT WAS SAID

This was a loyalty evening which was brought together by the club at short notice. Unfortunately it did mean that fans that live out of London could not make it, but it did allow questions to be asked to four players and it did give them the opportunity to answer questions about the season and general feeling. Present for the meeting was

Lee Cook
              Martin Rowlands
              Gareth Ainsworth
              Damien Delaney

First of all, some questions could not be asked in regards to changes of managers, but before I give the responses to the questions, I would have to say it was Damien Delaney who went up a long way in my estimation, with honest and precise answers.

After a few general questions, it was the turn of the floor to ask.

First supporter made the point in regards to De Canio and the football we played under him, the fan said it was the best football we had seen in a number of years.

Cook, who had not played under him kept quiet, Rowlands said a little more in regards to the training being more attacking, but sometimes training was a little less intense and sometimes it was matter of just getting on with it. Ainsworth made the point that we conceded too many late goals and that we could not have played like that all season, and that season de Canio had a fit Vine, Buzsacky, rowlands and Ageymang was in the form of his life. Delaney said he got more forward with De canio, but the defensive areas were not really focused on, he enjoyed bombing down the wing, but appreciated that a happy medium needed to be found from the more defensive football we have played this season, to the attacking style we played last season.

All players were asked about the season. This is where Delaney's honesty was well appreciated by the group and applauded by the fans. Rowlands said he was not too disappointed and pointed to the fact we had played well against the so called better teams and Ainsworth agreed. Rowlands was also disappointed about the booing of certain players during the season. Delaney then piped up and said it was a totally disappointing season and that we hadn't beaten many teams below us so not too much to be happy about.

The players were asked about the stadium emptying after the Plymouth game, Rowlands said it was very strange to see a half empty stadium and he was disappointed about the fans leaving. Ainsworth said he could understand the disappointment, but the players needed our support.

I, then asked about the player of the year evening, in which I felt the players left too early. This gave martin Rowlands an opportunity to give the players side, me and others had been scathing of there departure. I understood from his reply, that this had already got back to the players. Rowlands made the point that the previous year he had left at 10.15 and this POTY they were in the hotel for a full 4 hours as a group of players until ten past eleven. He made the point, that players knew the discontent of the fans and some difficult questions would be asked and that it was easier for them to leave. I fully understand that, but did find it strange when he said they had booked a dinner elsewhere and had missed it to the late finishing of presentations at the POTY and just went to a club instead.

Ainsworth said he would ask for arrangements next season to be orgainsied so we started earlier and that everyone would be happy. He did apologise for the sponsors night for the attendees as well.

On he question of Bahrain, a positive and negative was given about its cancellation. Rowlands said that it would have been an opportunity to promote the club, but it did mean he could spend time with his daughters.

I get the impression they wanted to find a medium between the attacking style of de Canio and the more defensive side of recent managers. The point about tinkering the team was made and Ainsworth made the point that over Christmas it was thought that with Charlton bottom of the league we could win both games that and against Watford by switching the teams a little bit.

Cook said he would be doing much more strenghtening in the summer and he would have company along with Buzsacky and rowlands. Ainsworth plans to do his badges in the summer.

Highlight for Ainsworth was the Birmingham game and being in the snow and winning with 10 men.
              Highlight for Rowlands was leading the club out at Old trafford, biggest disappointment was his injury at Forest
              Highlight for Delaney was the Villa game
              highlight Cook the Preston game and his goal versus Charlton.

Delaney was not making excuses, but said the pitch was in awful state and hoped it would be sorted in time for next season. Ainsworth pointed out that our style of play was not suited to a pitch like we've had. He has another one year playing contract left and still feels he can do a job.

The players were unaware at this stage, where pre-season will be but are determined to get iot right next season. Cook or Ainsworth made the point, this season we were 3 wins and a draw away from the play offs, but with everyone fit next season, they were expecting much more.

A lady had said she followed the team away all season , but would it be worth turning up on Sunday? rowlands, said he wouldn't be playing so gave the mic to Ainsworth who responded by saying that players need the fans and the players were determined to finish on a high.

Prompting me with a question, might remind of some more of what went on !!
              ermm wasnt rowlands injured at derby?

Comment

So to clarify at the 2008/2009 Player of The Year Awards Dinner & Dance our players decided it was apt to book Dinner elsewhere?

Last chance they'll get away with BS like that - we need a Manager to sort their bloody heads out!

Shocking
                Running the London Marathon for the Down's Syndrome Association....

Visit my charity page here

Comment

anything questioned about the squads passion for the club and its fans.. like how week in week out its a selective few who seem to put in 100%
                  Soldier: "im on reconnaissance sir.. im looking for our camouflage expert.. have you seen him?"
                  Lovejoy: "No?!"
                  Soldier: "GOD DAMNIT THAT GUYS GOOD!"

Please Follow My Twitter

Comment

wembley ranger

Thats why it was memory Your spot on !!

Nothing really said about the passion to be honest, though they were really disappointed in the season.

Comment

delaney was ok at lsa do..
                      i missed tonight, although invited due to work...

there is a real danger of "THE WALL" growing between fans and players
                      all too easy to blame fans and us them!!!!

WE NEED A FANS LIASION OFFICER ASAP, SOMEONE FROM WITHIN "US"
                      maybe they meet bi-monthly and have a player, someone from club and fans officer, to discuss matters...????

Comment

agree

Comment

I like Ainsworth and I think he is a top bloke but to me it sounds like very easy questions. Was it banned to be even the slightest contraversial? I don't think this meeting has really acheived much. The questions are quite dull and the answers, very predictable. I just hope we can bring in a decent manager with a very strong personality. Ainsworth I can imagine is way to soft with them and is just one of the lads. I don't like the man but im moving towards Warnock even more now. He will kick a few arses because this group of players should be ashamed of themselves. Everything that should be expected of the players regarding fans, seems all such a big effort. Not suprised that lack of effort is also moving onto the pitch. Thank you for the update though Pete, you did your best.
                          I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Just a few more things that I remembered this morning.

Ainsworth said we had 3 scouts watching games up and down the country and the reseach and computer technology on other players across the championship, was the best it has ever been. He said he had learned alot from each manager in De Canio, Dowie and Sousa. In hindsight with no real mangerial experience was gutted with the Man Utd defeat, but in hindisght maybe he should have gone for it a bit more and maybe paid them a little too much respect.

Cook, when asked about training at Fulham, said the training ground pitches were so much better in the premiership and was glad we did not find ourselves in the same position as Charlton, a team he played for last season on loan. He had friends play for other clubs, who said that on its day Loftus Road is one of the most intimidating grounds in the leagues.

On injuries, Buzz was in light training and should be involved in friendlies a little late on before the start of the season, Rowlands was "hoping" to be back in August.

Ainsworth said we would probably see a few players leave and get some new players in, and that we should be building on our strong defence and focusing in the attacking areas, as he believes on our performances against the champions Wolves indicate we are not far away from being near the top.

Delaney was asked about Keane, in regards to being a candidate for the QPR job. Both he and Rowlands said that would have loved someone like keane, but it was up to the board to bring the right man in. They are professionals and no real excuse can be given on changing managers or changing formations throughout the season. They are paid to do a job and are professional and will give best for any manager the club decides to bring in.

manager questions relating to the ones that have left this season or their feelings towards them, were not asked for obvious reasons

Comment

Good write up Pete.

Lots of positives from what the players are saying. It's good to hear that the players want a Keane type, which says that they aren't afraid of having a manager who will give them what for when playing badly. All of the players should strive to be better, they should want to play in the Premiership and for them to achieve that they need a manager who gets what he wants out of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X