Summer Spending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Spending

I love this time of year - the sun is out, cricket is being played and transfer gossip begins. So what do we know? What do we want? And what will happen.

Firstly, what we know or should I say what is being hinted at? Those including insideman, pete and BBC's David McIntyre are suggesting that we are after Darren Pratley of Swansea and a target man in the mould of Ebanks-Blake but not Adebola according to Pete as well as a player from Sheffield Wednesday but no hint at a name so it could be Tommy Spurr to sort out our left back trouble or someone like Marcus Tudgay who can lead the line. Also hinted was a speedy striker which we all hoped was Campbell but unlikely unless in the form of a loan. No striker who now has Premiership and European experience is going to want to move permanently to a Championship team. He may have no choice if sent out on loan but if sold he won't be coming our way.

What else do we know??? According to McIntyre we were after Jordan Tabor and this has come true (played the last few games for the reserves) and also we are after Amaury Bischoff who like Prattley is another defensive midfielder. If true do we really need four defensive midfielders - Mahon, Leigertwood, Prattley and Bischoff? The new manager might not want any so unless Mahon and/or Leigertwood are sold/released this signing puzzles me. McIntyre suggested that Bischoff will go to Bahrain with the squad, which is only a few weeks away so time will tell.

What do we want? If we didn't sign another player except for a left back and two strikers everybody would be happy. Having said that it would depend on which strikers. Names being demanded by this board are Beckford, Lita, Campbell and Hooper. Very few would actually like Adebola but most would agree that a strong forward that can score goals alongside a speedy one would be great. Beckford is unlikely to leave Leeds if they are promoted and with Leeds no longer in a financial position where they are desperate to sell they could demand upwards of £3m (more likely £5m).

Hooper, like Simon Cox are cheaper and younger options. Neither Swindon nor S****horpe look likely for promotion so both players are more likely to leave. If Nicky Maynard's transfer fee is anything to go by then £2m seems the likely price. Selling an experienced goal scorer in Dexter Blackstock for £1.5m to buy an inexperienced (at this level) for more money seems daft to me but it wouldn't surprise me if thats what the club do. If Wolves' signing of Sam Vokes is anything to go by then if we are to buy a young inexperienced striker we should introduce him into the first team slowly and not expect 10-15 goals from him.

More sensible striker options would be Andy Gray from Charlton, currently out through injury but an experienced campaigner who now be valued at around £1m. Marcus Tudgay, strong, quick and has 14 league goals this season and is entering the last year of his contract so would be around the £2m mark. Tommy Smith, he too is in the last year of his contract and has scored 16 league goals this season, probably because of his age would be no more than £1.5m. David McGoldrick of Saints due to their financial situation his value could be anywhere between £1-£2.5m depending on the amount of clubs interested. As for left backs, Michael Ball is a free agent in the summer, Ryan Bertrand won't get much game time at Chelsea when his loan deal expires with Norwich. Spurr is an option but would be valued at £1.5m.

The club should be looking at the Bosmans and spending the money on strikers and not midfielders or defenders. Good young loan players from Premiership clubs (Bertrand) or Bosmans (Ball) to sort the left back issue and then spend all of the money bringing in strikers. I've not mentioned Earnshaw or Lita but if we are serious about promotion we need strikers of their quality but more importantly we need 2 and not just 1. A fee for Beckford may wipe out the entire budget when instead we could probably bring in Smith and McGoldrick for the same price.

What will happen? Well we will buy Bogdani because the club have seen him all of once and think he is the answer to our prayers. He'll no doubt flop and all of the other strikers I've mentioned will go to other clubs and score against us. Like Paterson, like Iwelumo, like Phillips, like, Hunt, like McCormack etc. We don't need another foreigner with no experience of this league when there are potential bargains to be had.

Good read. I wud be keen for us to pick up McGoldrick as saints r sure to go down and will look to sell. He is young, scores goals, has aggression and has down a gd job for a poor team
    CHAMPIONS
    Ainsworth is a Legend http://twitter.com/#!/ChrisHermitage Has scored at Loftus Road

Comment

Top read.

Comment

i would go for mcgoldrick could be a bargain to be had seeing southamptons financial situation and has scored a fair amount of goals in this league in a struggling team so...

Comment

definetly go for Mcgoldrick and tommy smith from watford, would be top class moves.

hate this time of the year though, no more football!
          We're Queens Park Rangers, we rule supreme

Comment

Personally I would spend all the money on 1 very good striker like Beckford or Scotland. Then I would get another striker like Campbell on loan and Ball at left back on a bosman sounds good.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
              Personally I would spend all the money on 1 very good striker like Beckford or Scotland. Then I would get another striker like Campbell on loan and Ball at left back on a bosman sounds good.
              sounds great rich but never gonna happen at qpr we only go for cheap options.

Comment

We have been heavily linked with Cox in the local Swindon papers and him with either Smith, McGoldrick or Gray would hopefully do a job. I also think that Priskin at Watford is a good striker to play the loan striker away from home. Ball on a Bosman would certainly add to our defence. That lot shouldn't use too much of the budget.
                RIP: Doug, Sniffer and Pat

Comment

we need to get a manager first and let him pick the players rather than the owner and an agent

Comment

V well written piece as ever, Sir Pie. Would only take issue with your last paragraph. Admittedly I too have only seen Bogdani once but he should not be confused with a DiCarmine. He is an experienced, established campaigner who has done reasonably - not brilliantly - well in the top two tiers of Italian football. He beat our defence in the air all day long and was also more skillful than them on the ground. Strongly agree tho that if we do sign a Heskey style striker like him it would require a Lita style poacher to put away the chances he carves out.
                    Few other points. 1) Pete assures us (sadly) the Sheffield target is not Tudgay, but he has not denied the Spurr suggestion. 2) You forgot we also have Lopez (at least I hope we do). 3) Pratley I know about but who does Bischoff play for and what kind of fee might we be talking - and, most importantly, is he any good?
                    Oh, agree with your point re pricing - the top strikers in the first division do seem expensive when compared to established championship players. Think Cox sounds a fairly good but risky option without a more experienced striker signing as well. I'd be interested to hear a pro's view on this but my hunch is there is prob just as much of a gulf now between the 1st division and the championship as there is between the championship and the premier league.

Comment

i think we do need an up n at em rough n ready striker to help mix things up........other clubs seem to manage to get em in so why not us???......beckford would be ideal but i can see a bigger club than us landing him..........forget adebola and iwelumo..........the lad gray is a very tidy player indeed but injury prone...........hooper.cox,lambert all untired at this level......tommy smith would be a good addition imho and tudgay could be a surprise success..........earnshaw i think is going down hill fast...........lita is a bit of a risk as well!its a massive decision we must make as if we dont get a couple in its another season of unrest in the stands!
                      you know nothing john snow!!!!

Comment

Bischoff is a young Arsenal holding midfielder who signed a one year contract with Arsenal last summer so would be available for free. Worrying though that Wenger is not wanting to hold on to him??? But then again Connolly was released and has turned into a fantastic player.

I had forgotten about Lopez and then again there is Miller too, which says to me we are either having a major clear out or McIntyre has got it wrong but insideman and pete have both confirmed that Prattley is a target.

Shame about Tudgay as I think he is quality and if it isn't Spurr then the only other player with enough quality to target is Leon Clarke. He played a single match for us back in 2006 against Leeds so there is a link there.

How I look at it and where I disagree with Neil is that for the price of Beckford we could sign 2 if not 3 strikers who have scored goals already at this level. Beckford could cost £5m and for that we could definitely sign McGoldrick and Smith and even someone like Cox.

We need strength in depth not just one or two quality players. An injury to Beckford in the first match would leave us short but by signing 2/3 strikers would mean we would have cover.

Comment

Good read.

I think a heck of a lot depends on who we sell.

Blackstock 1.3million, Camp 800K. People are after Legs and Delaney. Legs could be the real money earner for us and I think Delaney is a straight swop for someone in his position at another club.

With Taarabat on loan, Dave back, Vine back, Akos back and at least £2million to spend - probably double that if Legs goes then - we've a decent team IMHO which only needs 2 things..A midfield general and a striker.

And I reckon we can get a midfielder and a striker for £4million.
                          Running the London Marathon for the Down's Syndrome Association....

Visit my charity page here

Comment

Are we also looking to sell Cole to Barnet?

Any hint at which club Delaney is going to?

Comment

Originally posted by sirpiechucker View Post
                              I love this time of year -

Not previous years' though.... will we or wont we go down, will we or won't we go bust!

Comment

Working...
                              X