Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pass Completion Stats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pass Completion Stats

    Massimo Luongo at a dismal 71% pass completion rate, is 225 out of 353 players in the championship. Luke Freeman at 75% pass completion rate, comes in at 157 of 353 players in the championship.

    Whilst both players have been excellent servants to the club, both players have the passing statistic of a non-ball playing centre half, and are unable to pass the ball with the necessary quality and regularity to move QPR up the table.

    Expecting a lot more quality on the ball from Amos and Smith, which should bode well for the likes of Eze and Chair, giving them the platform to play as opposed to chasing down opponents trying to win the ball back.


  • #2
    god thats deep for here
    Chelmsford City the home of Radio

    Comment


    • #3
      I donít buy into all these passing stats , I could keep passing the ball sideways every 5 or 10 yards and that would give me 100%pass rate.Surely you want your flair players to take risks and look for the difficult passes to open teams up which then effects their pass completions if they donít come off.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Stainrod View Post
        I donít buy into all these passing stats , I could keep passing the ball sideways every 5 or 10 yards and that would give me 100%pass rate.Surely you want your flair players to take risks and look for the difficult passes to open teams up which then effects their pass completions if they donít come off.
        ray wilkins wasnt called the crab for nothing
        Chelmsford City the home of Radio

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Stainrod View Post
          I donít buy into all these passing stats , I could keep passing the ball sideways every 5 or 10 yards and that would give me 100%pass rate.Surely you want your flair players to take risks and look for the difficult passes to open teams up which then effects their pass completions if they donít come off.
          So letís me get this right, Jack Grealish at 87%, Conor Hourihane at 87% and Romaine Sawyers at 86% pass success is so high because they donít take risks. Wake up and smell the coffee. Good players take risks AND pull it off. And that is the difference.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Jonny View Post

            So letís me get this right, Jack Grealish at 87%, Conor Hourihane at 87% and Romaine Sawyers at 86% pass success is so high because they donít take risks. Wake up and smell the coffee. Good players take risks AND pull it off. And that is the difference.
            Oh letís go out and buy the players you mentioned because we can really afford them canít we . Qpr shop in Poundland and you expect top stats.I think you need to smell the coffee fella .Plus the players you mentioned play in better sides and have the ball more and boss games especially the villa players.Ours are mostly defending for their lives . Stats can show you anything.

            Comment


            • #7
              no one had more ball in the air than us i bet
              Chelmsford City the home of Radio

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Stainrod View Post

                Oh letís go out and buy the players you mentioned because we can really afford them canít we . Qpr shop in Poundland and you expect top stats.I think you need to smell the coffee fella .Plus the players you mentioned play in better sides and have the ball more and boss games especially the villa players.Ours are mostly defending for their lives . Stats can show you anything.
                Calm down. The answer is not money, itís a combination of youth and loans. Eze at 81% pass success is a great example. Chair will also score highly as the lad has fantastic technique. These boys are far better on the ball than Luongo and Freeman. That combined with Amos and Smith from Tottenham and Man City academies respectively will see us play an entirely different way this year. And that is exciting. The king is dead. Long the live the king!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Anyone who buys into passing stats is naive at best as they are the single most pointless stat there is in football. Plenty of players have high stats because they do nothing constructive with it and often will literally face another player 5 yards away and exchange 4 passes between them for absolutely no other reason than boosting said stats.

                  It's laughable anyone would actually give them any credance whatsoever in the grand scheme of things. The most creative players never have the best stats because as said above, they take risks with chance creating passes often through the eye of a needle etc and invariably they might try many that don't come off, but if one in ten does and leads to a match winning goal I'd say its more important than the waste of space who passed ten pointless balls to a CB and has 100% pass completion.

                  Prime example being a few years back i think Leon Britton of Swansea under Brendan Rodgers was highlighted because his passing stats were up there with Xavi and Iniesta as Europe's top %.... Right, obviously he was one of the great midfielders in world football.... Give me strength.

                  As for pointing out Grealish's stats being higher than Freeman, they should be because he does plenty of poncy to me to you passing too and generally always looks for the ball, gets it short, plays it short time after time which boost the stat but mean nothing. His actual creativity, ie goals and assists, in a team at the top end of the division with far better players and ball retention than us was no more than Freeman. I'd argue given the players around Freeman in our side being far weaker meant he had to try more audacious things to unlock doors than Grealish hence stats would be worse by default. If Grealish was so great with his better completion stats, why's he produced less with it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    its the end product that counts, and freemans assists spoke for its self.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Personally I don't read into these kind of stats too much as it's not the whole story. For a player like Freeman I'm more interested in the number of assists- that's the bottom line.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Del View Post
                        Anyone who buys into passing stats is naive at best as they are the single most pointless stat there is in football. Plenty of players have high stats because they do nothing constructive with it and often will literally face another player 5 yards away and exchange 4 passes between them for absolutely no other reason than boosting said stats.

                        It's laughable anyone would actually give them any credance whatsoever in the grand scheme of things. The most creative players never have the best stats because as said above, they take risks with chance creating passes often through the eye of a needle etc and invariably they might try many that don't come off, but if one in ten does and leads to a match winning goal I'd say its more important than the waste of space who passed ten pointless balls to a CB and has 100% pass completion.

                        Prime example being a few years back i think Leon Britton of Swansea under Brendan Rodgers was highlighted because his passing stats were up there with Xavi and Iniesta as Europe's top %.... Right, obviously he was one of the great midfielders in world football.... Give me strength.

                        As for pointing out Grealish's stats being higher than Freeman, they should be because he does plenty of poncy to me to you passing too and generally always looks for the ball, gets it short, plays it short time after time which boost the stat but mean nothing. His actual creativity, ie goals and assists, in a team at the top end of the division with far better players and ball retention than us was no more than Freeman. I'd argue given the players around Freeman in our side being far weaker meant he had to try more audacious things to unlock doors than Grealish hence stats would be worse by default. If Grealish was so great with his better completion stats, why's he produced less with it.
                        80% of Xavi’ passes were sideways as were most of that Barcelona team. The philosophy being that when you have the ball you keep moving it and thus the opposition around until an opening appears to move it forward to feet, into space etc, instead of trying to thread it through a needle that has no eye. For somebody who spends every other week glued to bbc text, the most popular text by far is “Freeman shoots from outside the box - wide to the left, right etc..”. He had a great final season, but there is nothing more frustrating than seeing players waste the ball cos the pitch hasn’t opened up in front of them. In the new world patience and patterns of play is what rules.
                        And as for someones comment re Wilkins, he played in what I think is probably the best rangers side I’ve seen in the 40 years I’ve been going down there. By far the best footballing side and it all rotated around him. We played with two great wide men and it was his moving from side to side to slipping it through that made the team tick. Whenever he got injured the wheels would completely fall off.
                        i warmed to Freeman this season, but by god I’m the most excited pre season than I have been for a long time. If the reaction of the Brentford fans is anything to go by, then we might have finally sorted the CB positions (the German improved as the season went on), Amos could be great, but it might take a while to get over the mental and physical hurdles that injury brings. And then there’s chair. Hopefully, 3 exciting additions with 1 going out thus far, with experience in the right positions. Glass half full for me, just need a striker to cover for crouch. Yes that is a rumour, but it’s been going around all season - moving back to his house in Ealing etc etc..we’ll see, but would be happy if it came through.
                        but back to topic, if this lot gel Freeman will be forgotten pretty quickly.
                        Urrs

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Del View Post
                          Anyone who buys into passing stats is naive at best as they are the single most pointless stat there is in football. Plenty of players have high stats because they do nothing constructive with it and often will literally face another player 5 yards away and exchange 4 passes between them for absolutely no other reason than boosting said stats.

                          It's laughable anyone would actually give them any credance whatsoever in the grand scheme of things. The most creative players never have the best stats because as said above, they take risks with chance creating passes often through the eye of a needle etc and invariably they might try many that don't come off, but if one in ten does and leads to a match winning goal I'd say its more important than the waste of space who passed ten pointless balls to a CB and has 100% pass completion.

                          Prime example being a few years back i think Leon Britton of Swansea under Brendan Rodgers was highlighted because his passing stats were up there with Xavi and Iniesta as Europe's top %.... Right, obviously he was one of the great midfielders in world football.... Give me strength.

                          As for pointing out Grealish's stats being higher than Freeman, they should be because he does plenty of poncy to me to you passing too and generally always looks for the ball, gets it short, plays it short time after time which boost the stat but mean nothing. His actual creativity, ie goals and assists, in a team at the top end of the division with far better players and ball retention than us was no more than Freeman. I'd argue given the players around Freeman in our side being far weaker meant he had to try more audacious things to unlock doors than Grealish hence stats would be worse by default. If Grealish was so great with his better completion stats, why's he produced less with it.
                          Grealish was injured for half the season.

                          Would love to be a fly on the wall whilst you tell Pep passing statistics and dominating the football doesnít matter. Warburton too.

                          In your words, football ďnaivetyĒ at its best.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Jonny View Post

                            Grealish was injured for half the season.

                            Would love to be a fly on the wall whilst you tell Pep passing statistics and dominating the football doesnít matter. Warburton too.

                            In your words, football ďnaivetyĒ at its best.
                            Firstly Grealish wasn't injured half a season, he played the majority, but regardless I was referring to mins per goal etc which is practically identical and is a clearer indicator as number of games don't matter.

                            As for your comment about pep and dominating football matches it unfortunately just highlights you simply don't get the point being made at all. A team dominating a match and possession is totally different to individual passing stats and specifically using passing stats of a player to gauge if one player is better than another.

                            At no point did I say there wasn't a place for retaining possession and players with very high retention stats, I just said it doesn't remotely tell the whole picture so can't be used as a judgement unless all parameters were the same, which obviously they never would be.

                            Point in case for Man City you bring up, when they won the ltitle with 100 points the season before last, DeBruyne was by far their best player with more assists than anyone in the league but I guarantee his passing stats wouldn't have been the best because some of his insanely brilliant passing with a purpose didn't always come off. In fact there's no doubt loads across the Prem with a better pass completion stat than him because many do nothing with the ball, but every manager in the league would take him over most if not all of those above him in that particular list. It proves your logic towards pass percentage stats is flawed, which was the point I was making.

                            Obviously theres a place and purpose for possession football and a place for the 100% 5yd pass merchants as they serve a purpose also, but as to what players bring to a side, the stat is irrelevant because everyone has a different role and objectives. EG some players will be told to give it easy to the DeBruyne or Gerrard's in the past for example as they might unlock a door for a striker with better passing ability, but in doing so it won't always come off so have lower completion stat than those told to give it easy to them because they can't do much else.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              There are people on here not so long ago kept telling us that Luongo was the best midfielder in the championship, been very disappointing the last few years

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X