"Developmental Ethos"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Developmental Ethos"

I read somewhere from David McIntyre that McLaren's sacking was partly down to his failure to follow the club's "ethos" of developing younger players. From all I've seen in football, the suggestion that a manager will be ok if they follow the owners ethos is far fetched. Managers are 4 or 5 lost games away from being considered for the sack, regardless of whether they are following the ethos or the owners' orders, or playing well with no luck, let down by old players, let down by young players, or just have no idea. "It's a results business" So no manager would follow a developmental ethos, he'd do what he thinks would get results. In McLaren's case, he to senior players who at least he knows have got results before.

We all know that even if McLaren (or anybody) played to the ethos, introduced the young ones but actually failed to get results, he'd be sacked. It's the fact that inevitably the Board would not stick by its own ethos if results go bad which is to blame for the endless managerial merry-go-round.

Not sure if this is true, but I think that SM was given a list of lower leagues players who would have fit the remit or what you call it - Developmental Ethos..I read that he turned it down and i.e. played two strikers who couldnt even play together: Hemed and Wells.
    QPR
    Best team in the world
    Sort of

Comment

Load of nonsense. 1 win in 400 months is all you need to know about letting SMC go. Am genuinely surprised it didnt happen sooner.

Comment

I agree with what you are saying, but it is very 'state the bleedin obvious'.

Comment

1 win in 400 months?

Comment

Originally posted by knocker View Post
            1 win in 400 months?
            I don't remember that. What game was it?

Comment

Originally posted by knocker View Post
              1 win in 400 months?
              Nothing like a slight exaggeration to hammer a point home....

Comment

Working...
              X