Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarbie
    replied
    I'd definitely not let him go at the moment. Digs us out of the brown stuff way too often for it to be a good idea. Alright, the football might be awful when he's on the pitch, but it's quite often effective!

Leave a comment:

• qpr
    replied
    Interesting read, for me I’d get rid of Matty. Huge thanks for his goals when we were really cr@p

Regardless to if we sign Wells & Hamed we need to move forward with better strikers then Smith

Leave a comment:

• QPROslo
    started a topic Let's keep Matt Smith

Let's keep Matt Smith

We need to free up money before next season to comply with FFP rules. Some of our present players have to leave and some won't be resigned. I have a lot of understanding for those that want to see Smith being sold to Millwall or another club during the January transfer window.

But the Pompey match showed us that Smith can play a crucial role when we need to look for plan B. Before he came on yesterday we could hardly bring the ball out of own half. For the first 20-25 minutes of the second half we did not create anything and never threatened their box. Once we brought on Smith everything changed. A couple hopeful long passes to Smith created all sorts of problems for the Pompey defense. Suddenly they had to fall deeper to defend and it created more space for us and we got on the front foot. Smiths presence created more space for Wells and it took just a few minutes before we equalized. With a bit of more belief we could have snatched the win. Defensively Smith helped to shore up things up when Pompey got a few free kicks and corners at the end.

I like to see Oteh getting more opportunities, but I think it makes a lot of sense to have Smith on the bench, to have an alternative when nothing else works. He might not be very good with the ball at his feet, but he can nevertheless change a match just by his presence. He scored 11 goals last year under Holloway, which tells us that he is a very decent striker.

I would keep him - I hope we have space in the squad for one route one striker!
Working...
X