No announcement yet.

Will we finish higher than last season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olly achieved 16th with Washington and Smith up front, whilst blooding five youngsters. With the additional signings that have come in he would not done any worse.

Comment

After the first 4 matches SM had us playing well, very organized and we were getting some very good results which brought us on to the fringe of the play offs despite our squad limitations, injuries and absences have obviously limited SM's options but this is where his managerial prowess will be tested, there have been some poor home performances recently, let's hope he gets it right for the cup match with all you lot travelling!
      @gatorTFC

Comment

I think the football is much better than last season on the whole. I also think there has been far more consistency in tactics and selections. Most weeks I can understand what we are trying to do, which is something I could never say under Holloway.

The negatives are we have gone into the season woefully under equipped in terms of squad depth. Whether this is down to FFP or the Manager and DoF between them not doing enough in the transfer market is still up for debate. I also think MacLaren struggles to see a Plan B. The last few games being a perfect example. He perseveres too long with selections and tactics that aren't working at times. This may be a product of not having enough players he likes, but it really is a problem. Well drilled sides work us out too easy, and often we have no response.

Comment

It's amazing who comes out of the woodwork after a couple of losses. Not a peep over the Christmas period.
          Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
          Pawel Wszolek - 6
          Luke Freeman - 6
          Matt Smith - 6
          Ebere Eze - 4
          Joel Lynch - 3
          Tomer Hemed - 3
          Toni Leistner - 2
          Massimo Luongo- 2
          Angel Rangel - 2
          Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
          Geoff Cameron - 1
          Aramide Oteh - 1
          Jake Bidwell - 1
          Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Ninja View Post
            It's amazing who comes out of the woodwork after a couple of losses. Not a peep over the Christmas period.
            xmas telly over
            Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
              I think the football is much better than last season on the whole. I also think there has been far more consistency in tactics and selections. Most weeks I can understand what we are trying to do, which is something I could never say under Holloway.

The negatives are we have gone into the season woefully under equipped in terms of squad depth. Whether this is down to FFP or the Manager and DoF between them not doing enough in the transfer market is still up for debate. I also think MacLaren struggles to see a Plan B. The last few games being a perfect example. He perseveres too long with selections and tactics that aren't working at times. This may be a product of not having enough players he likes, but it really is a problem. Well drilled sides work us out too easy, and often we have no response.
              This!!

QPR
              Best team in the world
              Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by gator View Post
                After the first 4 matches SM had us playing well, very organized and we were getting some very good results which brought us on to the fringe of the play offs despite our squad limitations, injuries and absences have obviously limited SM's options but this is where his managerial prowess will be tested, there have been some poor home performances recently, let's hope he gets it right for the cup match with all you lot travelling!
                Gates we havnt had loads of injuries and remember ollie having most of his 1st team defence out for a big chunk of the season after last christmas!

Yes it is funny ginge who comes out of the woodwork, like mac has had plenty of praise while he was doing well yet now hes starting to struggle is he not allowed to get any questions asked?

In my opinion we've got a good enough squad but macs stuck rigid to certain players and not used the squad fully showing he has full confidence in them and now hes struggling, when he should of changed things up, young chair looked great for his short cameos and the depth is there in my opinion, just needs to use it.
                http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkie View Post

Gates we havnt had loads of injuries and remember ollie having most of his 1st team defence out for a big chunk of the season after last christmas!

Yes it is funny ginge who comes out of the woodwork, like mac has had plenty of praise while he was doing well yet now hes starting to struggle is he not allowed to get any questions asked?

In my opinion we've got a good enough squad but macs stuck rigid to certain players and not used the squad fully showing he has full confidence in them and now hes struggling, when he should of changed things up, young chair looked great for his short cameos and the depth is there in my opinion, just needs to use it.
                  To be fair Pinks, there are plenty of questions being asked of MacLaren by many sections of our fans at the moment. Most Rangers fans I know agree that he's been found out a bit in the last few games.

Fingers crossed normal service is resumed when we get everyone back into the first team.

Comment

To be fair Pinks, there are plenty of questions being asked of MacLaren by many sections of our fans at the moment. Most Rangers fans I know agree that he's been found out a bit in the last few games.

Fingers crossed normal service is resumed when we get everyone back into the first team.
                    Tbh tarbs just reread my post & for a big chunk of time mac has done well with the same squad, but just wish when players are quite obviously struggling bring in youre smyths otehs chairs as there all good enough and will only improve.

Comment

We lack any creativity in the absence of luongo which then puts more pressure on Freeman and Eze to be the ones to conjure up something. We so move the ball slower without Cameron and Luongo which makes the counter attacks that we did damage with earlier in the season less effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkie View Post

Tbh tarbs just reread my post & for a big chunk of time mac has done well with the same squad, but just wish when players are quite obviously struggling bring in youre smyths otehs chairs as there all good enough and will only improve.
                        Agree with you mate. Would far rather see 1 of those 3 get a run out than sit through another 90 mins of Scowen and Cousins.

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post
                          We are now sitting mid table at 13th place with 39 points.

Last season we finished 16th with 56 points.

We are presently 4 points ahead of last seasons position. Will we finish higher than last season or end up with a pretty similar position as under Holloway?

There are seemingly numerous improvements this year, but I think it is most realistic that we will end up only marginally higher than last season. I am happily taking a mid table finish, but given the fact we have prioritized loan players over youth players I think the real progress in terms of points and league table position is more modest than all the positive McClaren posts indicate.

I am very happy with McClaren, despite todays result, but I refuse to accept that he is producing significantly better results than Holloway. The table does not lie.
                          Not so sure it's as simple a comparison as you say. It's not simply about points and position as to whether we've improved or not.

As it currently stands we are 14th on 39 points. We are however only 7 points away from 6th place club in play off spot being Frank Lampards Derby County.

Roughly same time last year (I could only get data for 28/01/18) we were 16th on 33 points but we were 15 points away from Fulham who were then 6th.

So this season we've significantly improved. This is why yesterday's result was so disappointing as we looked like a team playing in April knowing we were safe. If we had won yesterday we would only have been 4 points from 6th which isn't bad.

The table may not lie but you can't judge a book by its cover.

Comment

If anyone fancies a bet on this let me know........

Pinkie is just about to throw his hat in the ring, so the more the merrier!

If we stay in the cup this could be your chance to make a few quid, because we don't have strength in depth. But I still say we'll finish higher.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                              If anyone fancies a bet on this let me know........

Pinkie is just about to throw his hat in the ring, so the more the merrier!

If we stay in the cup this could be your chance to make a few quid, because we don't have strength in depth. But I still say we'll finish higher.
                              As i said in my pm to you hal, highers not exactly a fair bet is it, so mac finishes 15th & you win the bet lol, even though we`ve 4 ex prem players here with 2 strikers ollie didnt have! im pretty sure the bet was more you saying in the top 10

Comment

Fair dos tarbs but "get everyone back into the team!" out of everyone our only players luongo lol, this is a point ivebeen making macs become too reliant on players that are on loan, time to rely on our own.

Comment

Working...
                                X