Director of Football role

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Director of Football role

I have never really understood what this actual role actually entails and am now wondering if we really need one at QPR as I don't think it has ever worked successfully in British football the way it does for continental teams.

The likes of Wise, Barnes, Dalgleish etc did not transform the clubs they were employed at in this role so perhaps it is time to go back to basics at QPR and start again to see if that works as obviously something is not working at the club.

I do believe that Gianni should have some role to play at QPR though and perhaps given a Vice President position or something along those lines as I still think he has done a lot of good for the club but has also made some well documented mistakes and received abuse and vitriol from some quarters on a scale I don't think you would ever see at another club

The problem we have of course is that we have a manager on a six month contract so we do at this time probably need a DOF if we are to make any serious push for promotion this year but come the seasons end yes I now believe that the position should be scrapped.

Even the puppets are turning on their master!! Love it!!
    From the Hills of Kerry
    To the streets of Free Derry

Comment

Originally posted by The Merry Ploughboy View Post
      Even the puppets are turning on their master!! Love it!!
      And some wonder why there is so much infighting on the messageboards when you and others continue to use comments like that?

I am a QPR fan first and foremost and want the best for the club regardless of who is in charge as board members will always come and go and will only ever be Guardians until the next lot come in promising us all the earth.

I really seem to get the opinion sometimes that you actually want the infighting to continue for some strange reason?

Comment

Originally posted by IsleworthRanger View Post
        I have never really understood what this actual role actually entails and am now wondering if we really need one at QPR as I don't think it has ever worked successfully in British football the way it does for continental teams.

The likes of Wise, Barnes, Dalgleish etc did not transform the clubs they were employed at in this role so perhaps it is time to go back to basics at QPR and start again to see if that works as obviously something is not working at the club.

I do believe that Gianni should have some role to play at QPR though and perhaps given a Vice President position or something along those lines as I still think he has done a lot of good for the club but has also made some well documented mistakes and received abuse and vitriol from some quarters on a scale I don't think you would ever see at another club

The problem we have of course is that we have a manager on a six month contract so we do at this time probably need a DOF if we are to make any serious push for promotion this year but come the seasons end yes I now believe that the position should be scrapped.
        fair play for speaking your mind. ha9ranger won't be happy though

Comment

looks like HA9 will need the samaritans.

Comment

And some wonder why there is so much infighting on the messageboards when you and others continue to use comments like that?

I am a QPR fan first and foremost and want the best for the club regardless of who is in charge as board members will always come and go and will only ever be Guardians until the next lot come in promising us all the earth.

I really seem to get the opinion sometimes that you actually want the infighting to continue for some strange reason?
            Bit rich from you Beefy. Until Devo tore you a new one (metaphorically), you were quite happy to stoke it up on a regular basis.
            QBP 20th August 2009..."To be fair, I'm glad we are top of the table (for agents fees). Shows we are not a selling club anymore."

Comment

I've tried to say the same.

I don't know Gianni Paladini, and I'm sure he's a nice enough fella... but that's not the point.

It's not personal for most who say this. Unfortunately, it's always taken that way by his pals/admirers.
              His ROLE is the problem, and I would say the same if it were Venables, or anyone doing it.
              If the manager is good enough, and knows his stuff, and has proved it, then there is no need for this unneccessary layer of management.

Ask Harry at Spurs. He wouldn't have gone there if Damien Comolli was still in place in that role at Tottenham.

Coppell, Curbishley, Keegan, Hoddle, Jewell, Wenger, Ferguson, Hodgson, O'Neil etc, etc... would not work under the current set-up at QPR.

Once again... it's NOT personal against Mr Paladini.
              Final Version - Hope you like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1z0UQ0eqRM

Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/QPRGoddard

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Clunge View Post
                Bit rich from you Beefy. Until Devo tore you a new one (metaphorically), you were quite happy to stoke it up on a regular basis.
                New Year resolution and all that Clungey and I will now leave all that to you and others in 2010

Comment

New Year resolution and all that Clungey and I will now leave all that to you and others in 2010
                  Good for you fella. Welcome to the real world, your transition from the dark side is welcomed.
                  QBP 20th August 2009..."To be fair, I'm glad we are top of the table (for agents fees). Shows we are not a selling club anymore."

Comment

IsleworthRanger - How can you change your mind from him being the 'best thing' to 'do we need him'. Are you saying you have you been talking tosh for ages and if so, why ?

Comment

And some wonder why there is so much infighting on the messageboards when you and others continue to use comments like that?says the QPR Report stalker

I am a QPR fan first and foremost and want the best for the club regardless of who is in charge as board members will always come and go and will only ever be Guardians until the next lot come in promising us all the earth.Me too, only i have known this a long time, whereas you had an"Eureka" moment when Devo put you away

All i want is my club to be run properly, to give it the best chance of success on the pitch.I happen to think Paladini doesnt contribute to that scheme, so therefore would like him to stand down. I ALSO dislike people who preach "he is the savoiur" when that is Bollacks, other than that,I M cool and will forever support QPR
                      From the Hills of Kerry
                      To the streets of Free Derry

Comment

Believe me, some of the comments and barbs sent GP's way are nothing more than playground taunts compared some of the stuff I've seen!

Comment

Originally posted by Goddard View Post
                          I've tried to say the same.

I don't know Gianni Paladini, and I'm sure he's a nice enough fella... but that's not the point.

It's not personal for most who say this. Unfortunately, it's always taken that way by his pals/admirers.
                          His ROLE is the problem, and I would say the same if it were Venables, or anyone doing it.
                          If the manager is good enough, and knows his stuff, and has proved it, then there is no need for this unneccessary layer of management.

Ask Harry at Spurs. He wouldn't have gone there if Damien Comolli was still in place in that role at Tottenham.

Coppell, Curbishley, Keegan, Hoddle, Jewell, Wenger, Ferguson, Hodgson, O'Neil etc, etc... would not work under the current set-up at QPR.

Once again... it's NOT personal against Mr Paladini.
                          Indeed. ^^^ That was a term stipulated.

Comment

Goddard, typical response

" I don't Know Gianni"

good to make judgement on people you don't know

Truth is, Flavio is head butcher he does ALL the hiring and firing of everyone.
                            ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
                            THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Pete, are you not more interested in what Nodge is talking about rather than Goddards response?

Comment

Working...
                              X