Lower League Strikers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower League Strikers

I am constantly reading comments from people about Gary Hooper, Jermaine Beckford, Matty Fryatt & Simon Cox as if to say that because they have scored goals at a lower level they'll definitely do so for us. Understandably players like Kightly and our own Les Ferdinand did make the step up but can we be sure others will do the same?

Gary Hooper - S****horpe - 21 years old - 30 goals this season - No Championship experience

Jermaine Beckford - Leeds - 25 years old - 31 goals this season - 10 Championship matches: 0 goals

Matty Fryatt - Leicester City - 23 years old - 29 goals this season - 91 Championship matches: 11 goals

Simon Cox - Swindon Town - 21 years old - 27 goals this season - 2 Championship matches: 0 goals

Rickie Lambert - Bristol Rovers - 27 years old - 25 goals this season - No Championship experience

Im afraid that teams do not give these players any time these days.If players do not perform in 2-3 games....there are discarded.Sign of the times i fear!

Comment

Mynard has done well for Bristol City.

Sirpie, I definitely agree in general, they don't make the transition from top Div 1 to championship strikers very easily.

much prefer the ones with prem or champiosnhip experience
      ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
      THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Originally posted by qblockpete View Post

Sirpie, I definitely agree in general, they don't make the transition from top Div 1 to championship strikers very easily.

Maynard has done well, Vokes has done OK scoring 5 league goals but I guess for every success you'll get players like Jermaine Easter who will fail to leave up to expectations.

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing Gary Hooper at LR next season.

Comment

Sometimes I think the strikers are the players who are least likely to make the step up.
            Very hard to see where our acquisitions in that dept. will come from...
            Faurlin is my hero!!! Love him!!! #########

Comment

Originally posted by rblockells View Post
              I wouldn't mind seeing Gary Hooper at LR next season.
              Any reason why?

Comment

Originally posted by sirpiechucker View Post
                I am constantly reading comments from people about Gary Hooper, Jermaine Beckford, Matty Fryatt & Simon Cox as if to say that because they have scored goals at a lower level they'll definitely do so for us. Understandably players like Kightly and our own Les Ferdinand did make the step up but can we be sure others will do the same?

Gary Hooper - S****horpe - 21 years old - 30 goals this season - No Championship experience

Jermaine Beckford - Leeds - 25 years old - 31 goals this season - 10 Championship matches: 0 goals

Matty Fryatt - Leicester City - 23 years old - 29 goals this season - 91 Championship matches: 11 goals

Simon Cox - Swindon Town - 21 years old - 27 goals this season - 2 Championship matches: 0 goals

Rickie Lambert - Bristol Rovers - 27 years old - 25 goals this season - No Championship experience
                Mate,

I have said this all along.
                One of my arguements against Gary Hooper.

Let's be honest, very recently a young man called Billy Sharpe was meant to be the next best thing, as was one of his strike partners...Andy Keogh.
                Neither have hit anywhere near as many goals as they did in the lower leagues.

That said, unless you try them, you'll never know.

I'd take Beckford over any of those to be fair as he is a scorer of many goals, but also a scorer of great goals.

Quality AND quantity.
                Your mum would love me...

Comment

how do they get experience if not at least given a chance....instead being shot down because they have none.......

Comment

Tyson from Forest is another example, not scored too much this season.
                    ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
                    THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Tyson from Forest is another example, not scored too much this season.
                      i think taking them on loan if possible is the better option

Comment

In the past we took gambles on players, Stan from Carlisle, Stainrod - Oldham (I think), and Jonny Byrne from York spring to mind and they were a very successful. But it does appear harder for forwards to make the step up and hit the net straight away. As others have said no goals in a couple of games and supporters are undermining their confidence. In saying that I do think we need to gamble on someone, I like the look of Hooper from what I have seen.
                        RIP: Doug, Sniffer and Pat

Comment

Goals scored in the CCC to date this season: 1193

Goals scored in L1 to date this season: 1343

the above shows clearly and concisely why so many failed CCC player like Fryatt and Beckford look world beaters in L1 - its far far easier to score at that level

Comment

Originally posted by kingo View Post
                            In the past we took gambles on players, Stan from Carlisle, Stainrod - Oldham (I think), and Jonny Byrne from York spring to mind and they were a very successful. But it does appear harder for forwards to make the step up and hit the net straight away. As others have said no goals in a couple of games and supporters are undermining their confidence. In saying that I do think we need to gamble on someone, I like the look of Hooper from what I have seen.
                            I think the gulf between the Premiership and League Two is much bigger than it was 20 years ago when you could sign players who could make the step up.

As I've already said you'll get players like Jason Scotland being a success this season in this league and then there are players like Tyson, Easter, Sharp and Keogh who so far have failed to make the step up.

Comment

just out of curiosity where did sir les come from......did he not struggle at first....and before anyone says he is different....not at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X