Ground Before SAR Was Built

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground Before SAR Was Built

From a Facebook page, with credit going to a user on lfw who shared the image

Brings back some memories for a few of you no doubt.

What a great photo, taken, I would hazard a guess, in the spring of 1968, just before my time supporting the R’s.

The diggers appear to be preparing the ground for the building of the South Africa Road stand.

The boys section in the Loft can be clearly seen, I spent my first years watching us from there, I never understood why the wall was not rebuild after the scum knocked it down in 1974.

When the Loft was packed going down the stairs after the final whistle was hairy at times.

Wonderful times with great memories.

Cheers Norths
    Last edited by cross it Dave; 17-04-2018, 05:27 AM.
    I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

Great photo, love seeing these.
      I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

And a bit further on :-)

Comment

Originally posted by OldR View Post

Truly fascinating to see this. Seen a lot of photos of the old ground but never one like this mid-construction, mid-game.

Comment

SAR used to be just terracing and had a big mud bank at the back of it, before the stand was built I believe for our very first year in top flight football 1969

Comment

That's a great picture. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

That was probably taken at our first ever First Division game against Leicester City, 1-1 draw
                Last edited by cross it Dave; 17-04-2018, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cross it Dave View Post

That was probably taken at our first ever First Division game agsinst Leicester City, 1-1 draw
                  I was say that is very likely.

Comment

Another view
                    Attached Files
                    I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Was the white city estate already built while sar was still like that? Good view of the game for those living in the blocks opposite if so.

Comment

it used to be easy bunking in , we used to climb over the gardens where loftus rd met ellersie rd , i had more posts on the old site , strange

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
                          it used to be easy bunking in , we used to climb over the gardens where loftus rd met ellersie rd , i had more posts on the old site , strange
                          I have lost about 50-60 posts as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hertford Hoop View Post
                            Another view
                            Cracking photo, which I have never seen before.

Comment

I used to stand over the radio box, the white bit in the corner, as a kid. Great view but had to get there early. Same faces in the same places every match. A group of guys used to stand under the pylon and one always announced his arrival with a booming 'come on you Rs' - the 'you Rs' bit was like a lion roaring. Could well have been the origin of that chant, I never heard it before then.

Comment

Working...
                              X