QPR bring in youth boss as Ramsey steps up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QPR bring in youth boss as Ramsey steps up

QPR will place Brighton Under-21 boss Simon Ireland in interim charge of their academy following Chris Ramsey’s promotion.

Ireland, 43, is leaving Brighton after being appointed as the replacement for Nick Daws, who recently left his role with Rangers’ academy to become first-team coach at Scunthorpe.

But with Ramsey having been made head coach until the end of the season, Ireland will effectively take over the running of Rangers’ academy.

Full article: http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/q...msey-steps-up?

QPR’s Academy appoint Simon Ireland as Head of Coaching and Coach Education ...

QPR are pleased to announce the appointment of Simon Ireland as the Academy’s new Head of Coaching and Coach Education.

Ireland – who made over 200 professional appearances as a player during the 1990s – arrives following 18 months as Brighton & Hove Albion Under-21s manager.

The 43 year-old, whose experience with academy football spans almost a decade, served with the Seagulls since August 2013. Ireland previously enjoyed seven years as assistant academy manager at Blackburn Rovers.

In his new role he will oversee QPR Academy’s coaching and games programme across all ages, helping Chris Ramsey (Head Coach) and Les Ferdinand (Director of Football) prepare the young R’s for the transition to the Elite Development Squad and professional football.

Following Ramsey’s appointment as Head Coach from Player Development Manager for the remainder of the season, Ireland will also manage further Academy duties in the interim.

“I’ve worked with every age group, from Under-9s when I started through to the Under-18s at Blackburn Rovers and the Under-21s at Brighton,” he explained to www.qpr.co.uk.

“Having worked through the age groups and knowing how Chris and Les work, I’m looking forward to installing what they’ve done previously, at QPR.”

Ferdinand has welcomed the move, adding: “We’re delighted to be bringing somebody of Simon’s experience to the club.

“One of our primary aims is to progress more players from the academy into the First Team and we’re confident Simon’s arrival is another step in the right direction.”

Ferdinand stressed the need to restructure the Academy in recent weeks, creating a pathway from which youngsters can progress into the senior setup.

It’s a task which Ireland has been charged with delivering, and one he’s intent on fulfilling.

“It’ll be my job to make sure the philosophy’s adhered to and pushed through the age groups, starting from the very bottom to the top,” he added.

“From the First Team downwards, the club is looking to play a certain way, go about doing things in a certain way and focus massively on the development of the individuals within the team.

“Hopefully we can make that pathway an easier one for players to progress through to the First Team squad. First and foremost that’s what I’ll be trying to do.”

Ireland’s appointment follows the departure of Nick Daws, who vacated the position to join Scunthorpe United in October.

Read more at http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/si...IJYGuvHS6hw.99

Comment

club definitely looking to invest in youth. We've got two kids who are signed to the club at my school and we had a lad from the club come down last week to meet us and talk about the kids and their progress in school etc. in line of potential offering scholarships and all that. apparently they gave out some early scholarships to around 10 lads (15 yo) as bigger clubs were around sniffing - chelsea, arsenal.

looking promising for about 5 years time, just hope we can stay in the prem where we gave get the money to keep investing in the youth. if we go down then it'll be harder to keep talented kids, like Sterling.

Comment

Working...
      X