An armchair managers thoughts about our youth squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An armchair managers thoughts about our youth squad

I find it extremely hard to be believe that the best coverage we have for Isla at RB is Traore. I also agree with a lot of people on here, we need to get players on the pitch who are substitute quality.

Today, for example, When up 1-0, and seeing Bony come on, Harry could have pushed into a 352 and brought Harriman on (if he wasn't on loan 24/7) at RB, pushed Isla to LB, and played clint over for 3 Cb's. That's just one example of how to implement a young guy who is aging (22 now) into first team action. Another way would be to put Harriman in at Arsenal game after Traore gives it away in the first half. That experience is what helps talent grow. Harriman has played 3 PL matches, his last in 2013 against Liverpool in May of that year, and had a solid game (from what I remember). Im not saying he is our next starting RB, but it bothers me to see the same old lot brought on to the pitch week in and week out who haven't been close to PL quality (Matty Phillips, SWP (just holding a spot), Junior Hoillet-Phillips, Traore, Mutch has been poor).

Kinda makes ya wish Danny Simspon wasn't sold

Originally posted by MaineHoopsFan View Post
    I find it extremely hard to be believe that the best coverage we have for Isla at RB is Traore. I also agree with a lot of people on here, we need to get players on the pitch who are substitute quality.

Today, for example, When up 1-0, and seeing Bony come on, Harry could have pushed into a 352 and brought Harriman on (if he wasn't on loan 24/7) at RB, pushed Isla to LB, and played clint over for 3 Cb's. That's just one example of how to implement a young guy who is aging (22 now) into first team action. Another way would be to put Harriman in at Arsenal game after Traore gives it away in the first half. That experience is what helps talent grow. Harriman has played 3 PL matches, his last in 2013 against Liverpool in May of that year, and had a solid game (from what I remember). Im not saying he is our next starting RB, but it bothers me to see the same old lot brought on to the pitch week in and week out who haven't been close to PL quality (Matty Phillips, SWP (just holding a spot), Junior Hoillet-Phillips, Traore, Mutch has been poor).

Nope, gotta disagree. Harriman isn't at all near prem quality, he is playing his level now. Our right back cover is Onuoha, not traore. Traore is our 3rd left back and that is fine by me. Danny simpson is not playing for the bottom of the league team, matt phillips has also covered at right back in the past. 352 would have left us exposed horribly with the sort of players we have and Isla cannot play on the left. Mutch is a good player who isn't confident, same for Phillips.
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Agree as soon as Swansea started throwing fortune to the wind we should have put an extra man in the middle and put some pace up top so we could break and counter them. Personally would have taken austin off and put Phillips up top on half way line and then the hopeless clearances we kept pumping might have turned into something

We had an extra man flood middle of the park and just play keep ball with the pace up top to throw it forward if chance presents itself

Comment

Not arguing that we couldn't do better with the youth but the example you use is too easy with hindsight (IMO). What makes you think Isla will be effective at LB? If HR had made changes like these and they didn't work, he would be crucified.

Personally, I think Harry has found a core 11 or 12 players that can work effectively but the others, like you and a lot of the rest of us think, are just not good enough. So, at the end of a tough game where we have held our own for more than 90 minutes, do you leave it as it is or bring on someone you have little faith in as a substitute? Either way, if it works you are mustard and if it doesn't you are sh1t.

I too would like to see the some of the youth team given more first team experience but it's not going to happen except in a cup match or if we are 4-0 up with less than 10 minutes to go.

Comment

Matt Phillips has been useless imo. The problem I see with our playing style is that you have Isla on one side who is a proper RB that can push the ball, has pace, and can cross. Then on the left, now that Yun is out, we have Clint covering who is a CB, who isn't pacey(to be fair he has played well). Nedum has also said in the past he likes playing Centerback and playing RB exposes his weakness as a sound passer and it showed during the mark hughes era, as well as a few games this season when forced into RB.

Harriman aside, theres got to be ONE youth player that can play in place of SWP's roster position.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo View Post
            Not arguing that we couldn't do better with the youth but the example you use is too easy with hindsight (IMO). What makes you think Isla will be effective at LB? If HR had made changes like these and they didn't work, he would be crucified.

Personally, I think Harry has found a core 11 or 12 players that can work effectively but the others, like you and a lot of the rest of us think, are just not good enough. So, at the end of a tough game where we have held our own for more than 90 minutes, do you leave it as it is or bring on someone you have little faith in as a substitute? Either way, if it works you are mustard and if it doesn't you are sh1t.

I too would like to see the some of the youth team given more first team experience but it's not going to happen except in a cup match or if we are 4-0 up with less than 10 minutes to go.
            I wouldn't have brought Harriman in today for his first app of the season. Heck, he might not even be worth a damn. But if he could have featured 4-5 times this season in embarrassing defeats as a sub, we would know if he is reliable.

I think Isla could play LB at our club because he is class and were already moving CB's to cover LB and RB co might as well continue playing musical backs and have a go with Isla lol

Comment

I find it extremely hard to be believe that the best coverage we have for Isla at RB is Traore.
              Eh?
              You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post
                Eh?
                LB, and Yeap, lol. Its early on this side of the ocean. Probably should go back to sleep.

Comment

LB, and Yeap, lol. Its early on this side of the ocean. Probably should go back to sleep.
                  You mean Nedum though, right? Nedum is our back up at RB for Isla.

Traore is our 3rd choice LB, never has & hopefully never will play in Isla's position, RB?

Comment

You mean Nedum though, right? Nedum is our back up at RB for Isla.

Traore is our 3rd choice LB, never has & hopefully never will play in Isla's position, RB?
                    Yea, im just eternally frustrated with Traore. I blame him for a lot of things lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo View Post

Other clubs do, so why not give the youth players a chance?

Yes, I realise the Premiership clubs have better youth systems and players than QPR, but rather than keep trotting out the same old subs who let the club down time and time again, wouldn't it be better to throw in a Harriman, Petrasso, Sutherland Donaldson etc to see if perhaps they can do better?

Southampton do this all the time. A few other clubs do so from time to time, Spurs with Ryan Mason, Everton with Barkley, WBA with Berahino to name just 3.

Comment

I think Petrasso is our best bet for a future starter, given he is only 19 and is playing pretty well in League One.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
                          Other clubs do, so why not give the youth players a chance?

Yes, I realise the Premiership clubs have better youth systems and players than QPR, but rather than keep trotting out the same old subs who let the club down time and time again, wouldn't it be better to throw in a Harriman, Petrasso, Sutherland Donaldson etc to see if perhaps they can do better?

Southampton do this all the time. A few other clubs do so from time to time, Spurs with Ryan Mason, Everton with Barkley, WBA with Berahino to name just 3.
                          I think Petrasso is our best bet for a future starter, given he is only 19 and is playing pretty well in League One.
                          Couldn't agree more stan. Whilst I am not for a minute believing that some kids will be our saviour, but exactly as you say, how much worse can, say, Petrasso be than Hoilett to bring on for 10 min or so?! Much rather see him on the bench than the likes of SWP, that's for sure.

Comment

Matt Phillips has been useless imo. The problem I see with our playing style is that you have Isla on one side who is a proper RB that can push the ball, has pace, and can cross. Then on the left, now that Yun is out, we have Clint covering who is a CB, who isn't pacey(to be fair he has played well). Nedum has also said in the past he likes playing Centerback and playing RB exposes his weakness as a sound passer and it showed during the mark hughes era, as well as a few games this season when forced into RB.

Harriman aside, theres got to be ONE youth player that can play in place of SWP's roster position.
                            Phillips has rarely had a chance this season. He played as a centre forward at Spurs, on the right in a 5 man midfield at Man Utd and a few other bit part appearances (usually in away games).

He should have been chosen to start on the RW at home to Palace (and probably a few more before that instead of Hoilett). He at least provided a few crosses for Austin to score from last season unlike Hoilett.

Comment

Couldn't agree more stan. Whilst I am not for a minute believing that some kids will be our saviour, but exactly as you say, how much worse can, say, Petrasso be than Hoilett to bring on for 10 min or so?! Much rather see him on the bench than the likes of SWP, that's for sure.
                              Exactly my point.

Unlike years gone by when QPR had quality youth players like the Allen trio, Goddard, Fereday, Waddock, McDonald, Stewart etc that went on to prove how good they were, the quality in the current crop is not anywhere near the same, but they surely couldn't do worse than SWP and Hoilett have done. Could a young fullback have put in a worse display than Traore's at Arsenal?

Comment

Working...
                              X