Transfer Deadline Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer Deadline Day

IMO it should be abolished and we should go back to how it used to be where clubs were free to buy and sell players throughout the season.

Setting an arbitrary deadline creates far more problems than it solves, especially for smaller clubs like ours. The main one being too many deals happen in the 11th hour, not giving enough time to buy adequate replacements, and all pre-season preparations, squad building and team bonding can too easily be ruined.

Player contracts can always have clauses to prevent the problem of players getting poached midway through a season, which is supposed to be one of the main reasons TDD was introduced. I realise this appears to contradict my first sentence, but I still think an enforced deadline imposed by a governing body is too restrictive to trade, and ultimately worsens the problem, not helps it.

We all know and accept that TDD is here to stay, nevertheless it would be interesting to gauge where fans stand over it.

The bottom line is you have to question who TDD benefits more. The clubs? Or Sky/EPL/UEFA?
    Yes
    43.75%
    No
    56.25%

The poll is expired.

No. Part of the skill of running a football club is putting together a squad that can compete over a season/half season. Deadline Day also stops the 'buying yourself out of trouble' card for richer clubs anytime they like.

Comment

The transfer window should stay but the window should close 1-2 weeks before the season starts. That way you know when the season starts what squad your team will have , it only benefits the bigger clubs by extending it to 4 weeks into the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Garyd73 View Post
        The transfer window should stay but the window should close 1-2 weeks before the season starts. That way you know when the season starts what squad your team will have , it only benefits the bigger clubs by extending it to 4 weeks into the season.

Spot on... I think it just needs to be amended to shut the end of July not August.

Comment

I'd get rid of it but I'd install other parameters that would prevent clubs having a merrygoround of players through a season: stuff like only 5 buys per rolling 12 months and/or they have to sell one before theyy can buy one once season starts.
          Sorta related I'd ban all loans within same division ie players can only be loaned "downwards" and not "sideways"..... Effing ridiculous to see filthy rich prem teams loaning players to each other and equally silly if we say loaned a player to a rival in our league this season - ban it!

Comment

Should end it, it's a complete pantomine
            I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Originally posted by acricketer View Post
              No. Part of the skill of running a football club is putting together a squad that can compete over a season/half season. Deadline Day also stops the 'buying yourself out of trouble' card for richer clubs anytime they like.
              this, so I would say keep it but slightly of topic I would like to see a return to 5 british players in a team or match day squad !

Comment

Think each team should be allowed an extra signing over the course of the season outside the window, but I think the window is fair for the smaller teams. Southampton etc would never have been able to push for Europe as the squad would have been picked off.

Comment

Those in the NO camp all make fair points, but my argument is a big club coming along and poaching a smaller club's prized asset 2 hours before the window shuts is also equally unfair.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                    Those in the NO camp all make fair points, but my argument is a big club coming along and poaching a smaller club's prized asset 2 hours before the window shuts is also equally unfair.
                    But they don't HAVE to sell, unless there is a release clause.
                    "I don't read the papers, I don't gamble, I don't even know what day it is." - Steve McClaren.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo View Post
                      But they don't HAVE to sell, unless there is a release clause.
                      But Charlie doesn't have a release clause, and yet the same scenario is just as likely (just for different reasons).

Comment

Keep it... It's banter.

Comment

But Charlie doesn't have a release clause, and yet the same scenario is just as likely (just for different reasons).
                          You may be right and the club may choose to sell at the last minute for whatever reason, but that is their choice. There are many reasons why a club might choose to sell at the last minute but they are not forced to and in those cases the issues are not really anything to do with the transfer window itself.

The only way I can think of for a club to be left in the lurch at the end of the window is if they lose a player due to a release clause at the last minute - anything else is just bad management, IMO.
                          "I don't read the papers, I don't gamble, I don't even know what day it is." - Steve McClaren.

Comment

I voted Yes but think the best solution would be to close the window BEFORE the season starts because its that bit that I really don't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by West London is Rss View Post
                              Keep it... It's banter.
                              This.

Comment

Working...
                              X