Saturday 17th April 2010
The Coca Cola Championship
Loftus Road Stadium
Referee: M Oliver
Attendance: 12,832
Queens Park Rangers 0-1 Cardiff City
By The Godfather

Queens Park Rangers starting line-up: Cerny, Ramage, Leigertwood, Gorkss, Tosic, Ephraim, Taraabt, Buzsaky, Priskin, Faurlin, Simpson.

Cardiff City starting line-up: Marshall, Burke, McNaughton, Gerrard, Kennedy, Burke, McPhail, Whittingham, Ledley, Bothroyd, McCormack.

In Neil Warnock's post-match interview, he stated that "we need strikers". He has hit the nail on the head. Once again, it was a lack of firepower up front that cost Rangers, despite clearly being the better side on the day. Cardiff, who have several quality attackers at their disposal, got the winner against the run of play, making the defeat even more difficult to take.

In truth, the Rs never really looked like scoring. A lack of physical presence up front meant that the Super Hoops often tried to pass the ball into the net, a tactic that did not reap much success. What certainly didn't help were two abysmal performances from Tamas Priskin and Hogan Ephraim, both of whom contributed very little to proceedings. Of course, there is a difference between the two: the latter works hard but rarely beats his man or produces a decent cross, whilst the former simply stands still.

It was a real shame, as this was, overall, a promising performance from Queens Park Rangers. With the exception of the goal, the defence seemed very robust, with Peter Ramage fitting into the centre-back position effectively. Tosic and Leigertwood looked solid enough, whilst Buzsaky and Faurlin competed bravely in the middle of the park.

This victory guaranteed Cardiff City a play-off place. I have to say, I was not particularly impressed by their performance, but I suppose that they got the job done. Leicester and Nottingham Forest certainly looked a lot better. Let's just say that I won't be shedding any tears if they don't achieve promotion.

Queens Park Rangers started the match fairly strongly, forcing a chance with just two minutes on the clock. Leigertwood's deflected shot fell to Simpson inside the penalty area, who, with his back to goal, managed to turn and send the ball rolling just wide of Marshall's right-hand post. Perhaps the Cardiff City goalkeeper's unusual pink kit distracted the Arsenal loanee.

A man who no doubt approved of Marshall's goalkeeping kit, Tamas Priskin, was next to miss an opportunity for the Rs. In the 7th minute, Taraabt's cross found the Hungarian inside the penalty area, but he wasn't able to make contact with the ball, half-heartedly raising one of his trademark pink boots into the air. I couldn't help thinking that he should have attempted a header.

At the other end, Cardiff City threatened for the first time when, in the 15th minute, Jay Bothroyd received the ball in space on the left-hand side. The former Wolves man managed to progress to the byline, but Radek Cerny skilfully gathered his low cross.

Two minutes later, Adel Taraabt came agonisingly close to putting Rangers into the lead. Receiving the ball about 25 yards out, he unleashed a low powerful shot, which hit the inside of Marshall's post and bounced out of play. The Moroccan was incredibly unlucky not to score with this effort.

In the 22nd minute, Cardiff City almost capitalised upon a terrible defensive mistake by Kaspars Gorkss. For reasons only known to himself, the Latvian headed the ball back towards his goal, straight into the path of Ross McCormack. Only a last-ditch challenge from Peter Ramage prevented the Bluebirds from breaking the deadlock.

The final chance of the first half came a minute before the whistle. Taraabt beat his man on the right flank and sent a low cross into the penalty area. Simpson and then Faurlin were unable to make contact with the ball.

Half-time scoreline: Queens Park Rangers 0-0 Cardiff City

Once again, Queens Park Rangers started the half very strongly, carving out a decent opportunity in the 47th minute. Taraabt was the provider, releasing Simpson with a well-timed through-pass. Unfortunately, a Cardiff defender managed to force the Arsenal loanee out wide, with the ball eventually being cleared to safety.

Taraabt was at the centre of the action again in the 50th minute, picking out Hogan Ephraim with a curling cross. Unfortunately, the former West Ham winger could only produce a weak header, which was easily gathered by Marshall. He should have done better. I have to say; I don't understand why he is getting into the side ahead of Lee Cook...

Then, two minutes later, Radek Cerny almost gifted a goal to Cardiff. The QPR goalkeeper spilled Peter Whittingham's free kick, but just as it seemed that McCormack would tap into the net, Ramage produced another fantastic last-ditch tackle to clear the ball out of play. This was an impressive performance from Peter, who seems to have improved since Warnock's appointment.

Cardiff substitution (62 minutes) - McCormack off for Chopra.

In the 63rd minute, Queens Park Rangers carved out their best chance of the match. A well-worked counter attack led to Faurlin receiving the ball on the left flank. The Argentinean then found Simpson inside the penalty area with a wonderful lob. The loanee then passed to Ephraim, but the winger could only scoop his effort over the crossbar. Another dreadful miss.

Cardiff substitution: Burke off for Etuhu (66 minutes).

Taraabt was in the spotlight again in the 74th minute, albeit for the wrong reasons. After beating his man on the right flank, he cut inside and then took a tumble in the penalty area. The referee booked him for diving. Mr Oliver's decisions were often questionable on Saturday afternoon, but my initial reaction was that Taraabt had gone down very dramatically. However, some people on the message board have stated that he was fouled. I think I'll have to watch it again on the official website's extended highlights.

Six minutes later, Cardiff City took the lead with a goal almost identical to Sheffield Wednesday's equaliser a couple of weeks ago. Kennedy burst down the left-hand side, sending in a beautiful cross to the far post. Ledley, who was completely unmarked, was able to head the ball into the back of the net, securing the Bluebirds' play-off spot.

In the 82nd minute, Warnock made his first substitution of the match, bringing on Lee Cook at the expense of Jay Simpson. The decision almost bore fruit immediately, when Taraabt's cross found the winger at the near post. Unfortunately, Cook's volley was well saved by Marshall. Josh Parker and Antonio German replaced Hogan Ephraim and Tamas Priskin late on.

Full-time scoreline: Queens Park Rangers 0-1 Cardiff City.

Bookings: Taraabt, Ramage.

Conclusion

There's not much more to add really. Queens Park Rangers deserved more out of the game, but with such poor strikers at their disposal, they were made to pay for missed opportunities. This department must be bolstered during the summer if the Super Hoops are to challenge for promotion next season.

Fortunately, the Rs have a winnable fixture on Tuesday night against Watford. By then they could already be safe, depending on the result of today's (Sunday's) Sheffield derby.

Man of the Match: Peter Ramage - Thought he coped with Bothroyd and McCormack very well. I'm still not sure that he should be kept for next season, but this was certainly a decent performance from Peter.