Saturday 3rd April 2010
The Coca Cola Championship
Loftus Road Stadium
Referee: C H Webster
Kick-off: 15:00
Queens Park Rangers (18th) V Sheffield Wednesday (20th)
By The Godfather

Queens Park Rangers have the opportunity to pull away from the relegation zone on Saturday afternoon, when they face fellow strugglers, Sheffield Wednesday, at Loftus Road. In my view, two more wins are needed to guarantee safety, and this is an excellent opportunity for the Rs to put distance between themselves and the bottom three. Therefore, this is an absolutely crucial fixture.

Sheffield Wednesday

Manager: Alan Irvine

Season 2008-09 finish: 12th position

Sheffield Wednesday's 2009/10 campaign has seen them embroiled in the relegation battle. Although performances have improved since the arrival of Alan Irvine in January, results have been less than satisfactory. That said, the Owls are unbeaten in their last five matches, picking up four draws and one victory. However, they are still in serious danger of playing League One football next season, with the team currently lying in 20th place, just a couple of points off the dreaded drop-zone. A win on Saturday is therefore vital. It certainly would be an embarrassment for a club of Wednesday's size to sink to the third tier of the English game once again.

Men to watch

Sheffield Wednesday’s main attacking threat will be former Derby County man and current top scorer, Marcus Tudgay, who has netted 9 goals this season. The 27 year-old striker is someone who I rate very highly: strong, good in the air and clinical inside the penalty area. I do hope that Warnock has identified this threat.

Luke Varney, who proved to be a thorn in QPR's side in the fixture at Hillsborough, could start alongside Tudgay up front. The 27 year-old enjoyed spells at Crewe Alexandra and Charlton Athletic, before signing for Derby County in 2008. However, the striker has struggled to force his way into the first team at Pride Park and has spent the entire 2009/10 campaign at Sheffield Wednesday.

On the right wing, Etienne Esajas could be handed a place in the team. A player with immense talent, the 25 year-old signed for the Owls in 2007 from Dutch side, Vitesse. Injuries have hampered his time at Hillsborough, but when he has been fit he has impressed the supporters with his pace, skill, distribution and set-piece abilities.

29 year-old Jermaine Johnson, who has been linked with a move to Loftus Road in the past, is expected to return from a hamstring injury to play on the other wing. The former Bradford City man’s pace makes him a real asset to Sheffield Wednesday. He has 48 international caps for Jamaica to his name.

In central midfield, Irvine could select James O’Connor in his starting line-up. After enjoying a seven-year period (1996-2003) with Stoke City, the Irishman moved to West Brom. He wasn’t able to establish himself as a first team regular at the Hawthorns and signed for Burnley in 2004. After five successful years at Turf Moor, the 30 year-old joined Sheffield Wednesday in 2008. O’Connor offers experience and leadership qualities to the Owls.

At the back, Darren Purse is likely to return to the team. Purse was once an excellent defender at this level, playing for Oxford United, Birmingham City, West Brom and Cardiff, before making the move to Hillsborough during the summer. However, at the age of 33, perhaps the Queens Park Rangers forwards, particularly Taraabt, can expose his lack of pace.

Previous Match

November 2009 - Queens Park Rangers won this match in the 82nd minute, thanks to a header from Kaspars Gorkss. Simpson put the away team ahead after only ten minutes with an excellent finish from Adel Taraabt's pass. Unfortunately, Wednesday equalised only three minutes later, when Jermaine Johnson converted Darren Potter's teasing cross. Wednesday piled the pressure upon QPR's defence in the second half, and Tommy Miller's header hit the woodwork. However, the Rs won the match when Faurlin's corner was headed in at the near post by the Latvian defender. The result pushed the Rs up to 4th in the league table, and I remember people on the message board discussing how the play-offs were a real possibility. How times have changed.

QPR Manager, Jim Magilton: "It was a real test of grit and determination so it's a nice win for us. We knew we were going to be under the cosh. I thought Sheffield Wednesday really pressed and they deservedly got back on track. We've been praised for playing expansive football this season so it was good to see us have to dig in and battle. We're still very much a work in progress"

Sheffield Wednesday 1-2 Queens Park Rangers

QPR Team News

Jay Simpson and Matthew Connolly will undergo late fitness tests before Saturday afternoon's match. Dusko Tosic could make his debut at left back. Gavin Mahon and Martin Rowlands, meanwhile, remain long-term absentees.

Prediction

I've always been impressed by Sheffield Wednesday's away support, so I expect this will be a decent atmosphere in what is a very important fixture for both teams. Although performances have improved recently, QPR have been picking up far too many draws. A difficult away trip to Leicester City waits on Easter Monday, and therefore it is absolutely vital that Rangers pick up three points on Saturday, in order to prevent them slipping into the relegation battle. I expect this will be another physical, tight and nervy encounter. However, I fancy the Super Hoops to grind out a win.

Queens Park Rangers 2-1 Sheffield Wednesday